RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Mr Canuckkiller, I tried to send this in a private message on the site but was not permitted because of its length. I hope you find this thread. Thank you in advance to you Sir, as well as any others who may have input to share.*

Good afternoon Sir. My name is Max Morris. I am Vance Morris's oldest grandson. I was browsing the internet in hopes of finding information about him, and came across your discussion of my grandfather and Mr. Sweezey in the 'For Lainee' thread. Given what you wrote, it appears that you knew him fairly well.

The reason I am writing is simply out of curiosity...and admiration...of both my grandfather, who I was very fortunate enough to spend a great deal of time with before his passing....and to the men of that generation. It truly is a by-gone time...a time I wish I had been able to witness firsthand.

I've been very fortunate to amass a variety of Vance's trial memorabilia...I even have the AKC certificates from his very first dog, 'Baile'. I have photos of of Paha Sapa Belle, Roys, Rowdy, Krooked Kreeks Knight, Mrs. R.M. Lewis...along with many others...likely men and women you knew yourself. Many photos, newspaper clippings, personal notes, and much more. I hold them near and dear, for to this day, I admire him. I've been told I share a lot of his mannerisms, and even look somewhat alike. The time I spent with him, and my grandmother, Edie, if you knew her, are fond memories indeed.

I hope I am not asking too much....but I would be thankful for any information you should share about him....background, stories, anything and everything. I realize I am asking a lot, but anything you could share would be extremely welcomed.

Also, if there are some on this site who trained or were involved with that generation of training, I would be happy to share these photos, etc. with the community. I'm sure there are others who fondly remember that area, as much as I wish I could have seen it.

Forgive my rambling, and hope this message finds you well. Hopefully it will bring back fond memories...just as your brief discussion of my grandfather brought a smile to me. Wishing you all the best, and looking forward to hearing from you.

Max Morris

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Max: I am sure WD Connor will answer you shortly.His memory is as sharp as the dogs he has trained and owned. Many of his stories are in his yet unpublished book " 50 years to Heel and Back"

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Welcome to RTF, Max. I'm sure you will get some responses from some of our "old timers" :)

If you have photos that you would like to share of your Granddad's dogs or other memorabilia, please do so. I bet there are a lot of us, old and new alike, that would enjoy seeing them.

If you have a problem posting any of them, contact me and I'll help if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be sure to do so. I will be home over the holidays and will be happy to post whatever I can. Thanks very much for the reply it is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Max
I had the privilege of knowing and running against your grandfather in the late '60s.
He was one of the pro's that entered the first Maryland Ret. Club spring field trail which was unique in that it was a 2 day 2 stake trial consisting of an Amat and a Qualifying, May 11-12 1968.
I have the catalog.
Your grandfather handled 3 dogs in the Q:Hatch of Whittington owned by John Morgan, Cascade Charade owned by Alice Lewis and Windy of Whittington owned by Braxton Valentine.

I do not have the placements but I know Lanse still thinks Mariah deserved more than a Jam.

Tim

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Max
I had the privilege of knowing and running against your grandfather in the late '60s.
He was one of the pro's that entered the first Maryland Ret. Club spring field trail which was unique in that it was a 2 day 2 stake trial consisting of an Amat and a Qualifying, May 11-12 1968.
I have the catalog.
Your grandfather handled 3 dogs in the Q:Hatch of Whittington owned by John Morgan, Cascade Charade owned by Alice Lewis and Windy of Whittington owned by Braxton Valentine.

I do not have the placements but I know Lanse still thinks Mariah deserved more than a Jam.

Tim
Now that's funny!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much Tim. I very much appreciate the input! I remember Mr. Morgan, I met him when I was younger. Cascade Charade is a a dog I heard my father mention often. I'm looking forward to getting together some photos etc to share with you folks when I get home in december. I'm sure there will be many familiar faces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts