22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my search down to the following:

Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4
Nissan Titan XE CrewCab 4x4
Ford F-150 SuperCrew or SuperCab 4x4 XLT
Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Toyota 4 Runner SR5

Is there enough room in back of these SUV's for a dog crate and gear? If not, a pickup will be needed.

Comments? Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add the Honda Pilot to your list to look at. It will be my next vehicle. It is an AWD vehicle with good gas mileage. I have measured the back with the third row seat down (which folds flat unlike others) and it will hold two crates. This is a well made SUV that is tops on all of the automobile magazine reviews. The second row seat slides forward unlike others. This gives the extra room in the back for the crates and is still comfortable enough for the second row occupants.
If you want to go classier look at the Acura MDX. They are the same basic vehicle.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Get the Ford or Nissan Crew Cab.

G

·
0 Posts
I have an F250 super crew. Not much difference in price between the F150 and F250. I like the added weight on the road. 14-16 mpg on the highway.
I have the 8 foot bed. Room for 5 crates, 3 on the bottom and 2 on top and enought room for me to climb in when the rains come.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Gregg Adams said:
I have an F250 super crew. Not much difference in price between the F150 and F250. I like the added weight on the road. 14-16 mpg on the highway.
I have the 8 foot bed. Room for 5 crates, 3 on the bottom and 2 on top and enought room for me to climb in when the rains come.
Almost makes me want to go back to work so I can afford the 35K it takes to get one.
ALMOST :wink:
john

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The Explorer easily fits two crates and gear. We also have a car top carrier for additional gear when we are on the road. We have continuously owned Explorers since the first model was marketed in 1990. Unlike many that complain about job deportation, all of my vehicles are American manufactured. If the VIN starts with "1" then it is made in the USA.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a supercrew and buddy has the 250 supercab... supercab has a bigger bed and you dont need 2 parking places to park the supercrew..
both have been very reliable. Mine is an 01 with 62k and have not had it in for anything except routine maintainence since new.. lotta space behind the front seat when you fold those back seats down flat..
but...i think all the vehicles you mentioned are good choices.. not a bad one in the bunch..

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
tshuntin said:
FORD F-150 SUPERCREW Hands down, no questions asked!!!!!!!!!!! TS :D
tshuntin said:
tshuntin said:
tshuntin said:
nuf said

·
Registered
399 Posts
Scott, I had one of those in the early 90's and about the only dog crate that would fit back there was one big enough for a beagle. :? Your wife has an SUV....I see a pickup in your future!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike Noel said:
Scott, I had one of those in the early 90's and about the only dog crate that would fit back there was one big enough for a beagle. :? Your wife has an SUV....I see a pickup in your future!
Hi Mike,

They must have grown then I measured and you can fit a 36 inch crate back there without putting the back seats down. Of course, the dog will be looking at the hatch back. lol

Scott

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
tshuntin said:
nuf said[/quote]

The world is full of ford pickups carrying black Labrador retrievers. Get a full sized Chevy pickup and a Chesapeake. Have tire chains and tow chains and pull out stuck fords after hunt tests. That is what I do and it is fun. 8)
Ken Bora

·
Registered
91 Posts
The F-150 Super Crew, hands down. Be sure to check on the "New off-road Camo Package" as shown here ...

8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nevada Jim said:
F-150 Spuer Crew, Hands down. Be sure to check on the "New off-road Camo Package" as shown here ...

Do you pop up through the moon roof to take your shots at the ducks and geese?

Scott

K

·
0 Posts
How does the F150 hold up once it hits the 100,000-mile range? I'm seeing old Toyotas on the market with 200K miles on them, and most Ford people are ecstatic if their truck makes it to 150K.

I have an option to purchase a 2002 F150 Super Crew with 71K miles. I'd hate to plunk down that chunk of change ($13K) for a truck that's only has a life span of 4-5 more years (assuming I'm adding 15K every year).

John

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
I own a 88 GMC K-1500.

285,000 miles that only I have recorded since new. Only routine maintenance.

Elk hunts in the Colorado mountains in the fall every year. Rough roads!!
Long trips to Kansas and Nebraska for birds. Never let me down!!

Yes ED I do slamn the doors!!!! :lol:

Gooser

·
Registered
39 Posts
I presently am runnin' a 01' Suburban, brands aside, think a bit before you decide on a SUV. I love mine, but I can't deal witht the two dogs smell when they are wet, or if I park and have a sandwich after hunting.

I'm getting my new crew cab this weekend and am putting a shell on the back with a "boot" between the cab and the shell. If I want to have my rear slider window open I can, or I can isolate the smell if need be.

·
Registered
590 Posts
f 250

Ford F250 crew cab v10 310hp all the room you need and get the 6 3/4 ft box and you can store just about any thing you need and the 04 on up back seat folds flat for all your guns and hunting gear I had 3 rangers before my 3/4 ton and the mileage is not that bad 15 hiway 12 city but all the room and a tough truck not a toy
David

1 - 20 of 38 Posts