Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NFRA

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which venue is your favorite, or do you like more than one?

·
Registered
632 Posts
See what I mean about Gluttons for punishment :wink: :wink: :lol:

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Prefer Field Trials. Usually only enter 2 or 3 hunt tests per year.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
ALL OF THEM! Its dogs picking stuff up.....or not.

Too bad I can't make my avatar say "NAHRA" and "AKC" :lol: :lol: :lol:

FOM

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I am torn --

As a spectator, nothing beats AKC FTs.

As a participant, nothing beats HRC/UKC HT.

As what is the most meaningful, AKC HT beats the other HT venues.

-- I voted HRC.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
As a spectator, nothing beats AKC FTs.
I just can't agree with that Kevin. After I've seen a few dogs do or not do the test it's about as exciting as watching grass grow. Now, when I'm on the line concentrating as hard as I can on the dog and the test it's a whole other matter.

I always figured Retriever Field Trials were an exciting and challenging game to play, but like sex, just not a spectator sport.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Howard N wrote:

..an exciting & challenging game to play, but like sex not a spectator sport...
Howard... ...nope I'm not gonna say it! :wink:

M

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Howard N said:
I just can't agree with that Kevin. After I've seen a few dogs do or not do the test it's about as exciting as watching grass grow.
My experience is that most FTers agree with you, and I have never understood the mentality. I think I am just different.

I remember years ago when Craig Bauer and I were sitting and watching water marks at the Derby (THE DERBY no less! :shock:). It was a beautiful day, partly cloudy, cool, nice breeze, and we had perfect seats to watch everything.

I said to Craig, "Can you think of anywhere else you would rather be?"
He replied, "Uhhh, maybe a beach in Tahiti?"
I said, "Not me." :?

·
Registered
220 Posts
NONE OF THE ABOVE! :D

My favorite is NFRA - not as tough as FT's, but I don't have to swing a gun around or do a walk-up. It's just right for me and my dog! 8)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
Howard N wrote:

M
As LVL would say "it depends"!!!

Back on topic:
I run NAHRA, if HRC were here I would give it a try. I'm not in to FT's and I would run AKC HT's if members of local clubs had left a better taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
KJB said:
It's just right for me and my dog!
I think you have the quote of the day:

It's just right for me and my dog!

Worth repeating!!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KJB said:
NONE OF THE ABOVE! :D

My favorite is NFRA - not as tough as FT's, but I don't have to swing a gun around or do a walk-up. It's just right for me and my dog! 8)
\

KJB,

My apologies for not including NFRA in the poll, I tried to go back and add it in but could not. I like your style! :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I voted combination based on a respect for AKC FTs, AKC HTs and NFRA.

I prefer the head to head competition of the AKC FT and I also accept the fact that the future of FTs lies in HTs and NFRA. The FT entry level for a new person to the game is no longer the Derby. It is the Qualifying after that person and their dog have had the oppurtunity for success and learned thru the HT program.
NFRA supplies a transition between "HT mediocrity"(all dogs that meet a standard being equally rewarded) and performance excellence by acknowledging the highest scoring dog in the stake with more points. This allows the person "bragging rights".
We all now know the best way to get someone addicted to the game is to give them ribbon and have them "beat" other handlers.

Tim

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Dave Combs said:
Miriam Wade said:
Howard N wrote:

M
As LVL would say "it depends"!!!

Back on topic:
I run NAHRA, if HRC were here I would give it a try. I'm not in to FT's and I would run AKC HT's if members of local clubs had left a better taste in my mouth.
Dave,

For what it's worth, one of my biggest regrets was allowing a similar taste to exist in my mouth while residing in NY State. What I realized much later, was that I was not so much letting the AKC folks impart that taste, but I was falling into outfall of the ongoing tinkling competition that existed between the various camps.

In the end, it is dogs picking stuff up. If you let one bad apple in any organization turn you off on that organization, you will find that the game of musical chairs is over and there's no place left to sit.

There's a hose-of-all in every crowd! They actually existed in NAHRA, and probably still do! :wink:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I voted for NAHRA out of loyalty (they could use some more votes). But I run AKC Field Trials and NAHRA Field Tests with the same dog. I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last weekend (Thanks Ole). HPW

·
Registered
86 Posts
AKC Only

AKC Hunt Tests and AKC Field Trials

I didn't vote because the above combination was not an option.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just can't agree with that Kevin. After I've seen a few dogs do or not do the test it's about as exciting as watching grass grow. Now, when I'm on the line concentrating as hard as I can on the dog and the test it's a whole other matter.

I always figured Retriever Field Trials were an exciting and challenging game to play, but like sex, just not a spectator sport.
This is my only venue (except one weekend venture) and it is like watching paint dry after a short while! Howard - we have the same scary thoughts! :lol: :wink:

My favorite is NFRA - not as tough as FT's, but I don't have to swing a gun around or do a walk-up. It's just right for me and my dog!
I have never touched a gun as a handler at an ACL LIcensed Field Trial.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts