RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about running blinds that I cannot seem to find any regulations about. I am working with a dog to run at senior (AKC HT)level. While taking the initial line, I can sometimes tell if he is confident and taking a good line or if he is less confident and about to drift off line or even pop.
When I notice this behavior, I can give him another "back" command and he seems to kick it back in gear and take the line again preventing the drift or pop. I hope to work through this problem before testing but I suspect that since I'm seeing the behavior now that I may see it when I least want to see it again i.e. during a test. I would expect to maybe get a mark down but can anybody see a reason to expect to be DQ for this verbal que if needed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To clarify...the second "back" is given without first whistle stopping. He is still on the move and in the same general direction as the initial line.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Since no one has commented, I'll take a stab - "It depends"

It depends on the judges, as the come in all flavors.....some may look at it and take off points for style, some may take off for perseverance (sp?) or even trainability...

It also depends on how they read the dogs reaction - is the second back given because of confussion on the dogs part (not sure if he is suppose to go) and the handler confirms this.

It could be counted as a cast without a sit whistle - some judges don't expect a sit whistle for all casts, some do.

It could be looked at as an attempt to cover up a pop - points off for trainability.

So from a judging perspective there are many, many things to consider....I don't judge HTs, but at the Senior level I'd mark you down and not DQ you, but I'd want to see the other blind run with a little more confidence and wouldn't want to see the tentative reaction on the marks either....make sense?

I would also gander to say, you might want to ask yourself "Why?" and "How to fix this, before testing?" My guess is this is a young dog who needs more experience with running cold blinds and with time and practice should improve. I would recommend if the handling basics are solid, try running more confident type of blinds every so often in training until your dog is running full bore on cold ones.

Lainee, Flash and Buttlet

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
Yes as you guessed it is a young dog and the "Why" I'm almost certain is a confidence issue. I can tell this is going to happen when his head comes up and he starts looking for the bird instead of just following his line. It's not every run but happens enough that I think he may try it again at the wrong time even after additional training . Of course I plan on trying to strenghthen this weakness but I was thinking ahead strategy wise and would I rather let him Pop at a test or give him the "back" to prevent the "Pop". Popping would get a markdown but hopefully not a "Zero"

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chapter 4 section 11
Lower scores, even to the extent of grading a dog
zero (0)
on Trainability based on a lack of response, may
be the result of the following: (a) not taking the direction
originally given by the handler, (b) not continuing in that
direction for a considerable distance, (c) failure to stop
promptly and popping-up and looking back for directions,

I guess I'm hoping that preventing the "Pop" in the first place with verbal
"back" would be a lesser offense.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Mr. Paul
the thread on WRC did cover it very well. Hopefully if I can fill in a couple of holes in training I'll never have to use it. Really tough to get a concensus on anything isn't it.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
duckdawg27 said:
Thank you Mr. Paul
the thread on WRC did cover it very well. Hopefully if I can fill in a couple of holes in training I'll never have to use it. Really tough to get a concensus on anything isn't it.
That is true...

/Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts