RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back my fiance decided she wanted a Lab pup, so I started hunting around and came home one day to find she got tired of waiting on me to find one and found herself a yellow male.. He is a good looking little fellow, and he is 4 months old right now, and he is the noisiest, most vocal pup, I have ever been around, when he sleeps he wines and groans and grunts, when he eats he "talks", when she works with him, he talks, when he picks up a fun bumper he growls, grunts, wines and every other noise a pup can make vocally...

What is the deal!?!?! :confused: At 4 months old I keep telling myself to be patient with him, but this has been an ongoing thing since day 1. Could it be a potential problem in the future? Should I just wait and hope for him to grow out of it? Any advice is appreciated on this.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you enjoy duck hunting, hunt tests or field trials you should deal with it now. Simply grab his muzzle verbalize your displeasure, and let him know you are unhappy with the noise.

Too many folks have let this go on and on and on. Then they can never fix it

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Mine didn't make all the noises you mention, but was a whiner from early on and just turned 2 yrs on 3/6. Still very whiny, esp when excited or anxious. Have done pretty much everything I could think of (holding and squeezing muzzle and telling hush, same thing accompanied with shake and louder NO! HUSH!! grabbing and holding jowls and saying HUSH!!, etc. etc.) pretty much from the beginning, and although he is better, can still drive me crazy, especially in the car or when sitting during lulls out hunting. He really is getting better, so there is some hope, but I have read the other threads on this topic and they were NOT even a little bit helpful. One person suggested that you had to make the dog "aware" that it was making noise (what ever the heck that means). There have been times when I was close to just clobbering him, but don't think that would help any more than what I have done. Good luck. If you find a technique that works, let me know.

·
Registered
884 Posts
its pretty much a phase

·
Registered
6,467 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a trainer recpmmend lemon juice. I tried it with a pretty vocal pup and it worked fantastic. I put it in a spray bottle and instead of cusping him under the jaw like I used to do I would open his mouth and spray 3-4 squirts in his mouth. It worked well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
She is right its not a phase, its poison and it will only get worse. Set your standards high with that dog if you want to make it. Not everyone has dealt with a pup with over kill on the desire spectrum. You have to work harder and put in more time with this type. Its not fun but stay the course and hold high standards.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My pup was REALLY whiny too.
Watching marks... whiny.
Watching other dogs... whiny and screaming.
In the kennel and house... just like yours restless and vocal.

This issue, a few other issues, and not wanting to force fetch him myself I eventually gave in and sent him to a local Pro that I could train with whenever I have off. Besides the not being FF I thought my dog was pretty nice... WRONG!

Funny, as soon as he cracked down on OB and started to slow down with my dog and actually making him pay attention and focus on his work the vocal issue was a non-issue. In fact, until I said something, the Pro never even knew there was a vocal issue!

We have learned a lot. Most of the issues I had I never even knew I had and most of them vanished with cracking down on my OB, slowing down on everything, and setting standards and ALWAYS keeping to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts