RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time. Ok well my elkhound siberian husky mix boy is at an emergency 24 hour vets office and has been since late last night. He went into the vets a week ago for some hind end weekness (he also has epilepsy) and then they said to bring him back this last thursday so they could keep him all day and run some tests (a week inbetween appointments) and anyways on Thursday morning he had gone downhill big time from when we went to bed late wednesday night to thursday morning. He had yellow eyes and could barely walk. Well by that night he has been pretty much comotose almost he is just laying there and no improvement the vets have done a ton of blood tests and they all come back with over half his levels either high or low.

He was fine on wednesday other then some hind end weekness and falling down occasionally due to the hind end weekness and muscle loss (he lost muscle all over his body including the top of his head had no muscle tone at all).

He is still at the vets and they are giving him IV antibotics, IV fluids and with the fluids he is getting something to help raise his blood sugar. The problem is as of Thursday night late he no longer even relized when you where around and wouldnt pick his head up or follow your finger when you held his head up (he got so week he couldnt even do that) and had diareah and pees on himself beacause he isnt even concious enough to go to the bathroom.

The vets are stumped and have no idea what it is his red blood cells are way down and his liver is almost in liver failure and his kidneys are not working very good either. He isnt doing well and if he doesnt show improvement by tonight we will put him down but can you help me at all with what it could be. Have you ever seen anything like this. He hasnt had any of the recalled food has not left the yard (fenced in backyard) in over a year and was vacinated a year and half ago and was good with tilters. He also had the Lepto shot with that.

None of our other dogs thank god are sick and they all share the same water bowl outside (which is cleaned every other day) and the same potty area in the backyard and none of our dogs have been off our property in over 8 months. He does have Epilepsy and has been on 2 (64.8mg 1gr ) pills of phenobarbitol 3 times a day so he gets a total of 388.8 mg a day could that have just caused his liver and kidneys to shut down so quickly? The vets where talking about Lepto but I just dont see how it could be that as he doesnt even play or move around much in the backyard and is only out there to go potty and play for a little while as they are all indoor dogs.

Sorry this is so long I am just hoping that Ed or someone can help me out and at least give me some peace of mind that it isnt anything I did wrong. I am just so blaming myself that with me being pregnant I didnt see the signs but I honestly dont think there where any he went from slightly limping to laying flat out not even able to raise his head in like 8 hours. I just dont understand it and dont know what is wrong with him. I would love to save him but we also wont let him suffer so if he hasnt improved by tonight we will be putting him down but I am just hoping I guess for something that might help get him better.

Jana

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone he only has a few more hours before I call to check how he is doing again. Please I need some help Doc ED anyone.

Jana

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Goodness, Jana....so sorry to hear all this.

Try emailing Janice Gunn..TNT ...to see if she knows of anything.

Judy

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My experience is that when your local vet is stumped, it is time to contact your local university veterinarian school.

Quickly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AmiableLabs said:
My experience is that when your local vet is stumped, it is time to contact your local university veterinarian school.

Quickly.
Unfortuantly they are 7 hours away and we just dont have that kind of time as we wont let him suffer. His liver is getting worse by the hour and we just dont know what is wrong. I cant stop blaming myself thinking I did something wrong and I just hate myself right now.

Jana

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It's not your fault, Jana....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jana - I'm not a Vet, and I haven't even stayed at a holiday inn express recently. You didn't do anything wrong - sometimes our furry little children just get very sick. Follow your heart and do what you would want your best friend to do for you if you were as sick as your pup.

Godspeed, good luck, and prayers.

greg, Tuey and Molly.

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Unfortunately, Dr. Ed, Nate B and probably some of the other vets that are on RTF are probably at a FT or HT since it is Saturday.

I wish you some peace with your decision. Some times, no matter how close an eye we keep on our companions, their health can just deteriorate.

Vicky

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Jana - I have no advice to give regarding what could be wrong with your boy. All I can do is say a prayer and hope it will help give you the strength you need right now.

I wish you all the best.

Andy

G

·
I hope he's ok, too... prayers from Georgia. I was waiting to post because I know you're waiting to hear from someone that might actually be able to help... unfortunately, that's not me. but I hope he's better soon.

-K

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everone I am dreading the call I have to make in 45 minutes cause if he isnt better we will be driving an hour and a half to put him down. I just hope they say he is improving but I have this sinking feeling that this is the one fight he wont survive. Here are some pictures of him.

I will update when I find out more.

Jana

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Wow.....such expression in his eyes!!!

I'm sure he knows you love him and would do whatever you could if it would make him well again.

My thoughts are with both of you,

Vicky

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all we will be heading in to have him put down shortly. I just dont understand why he got so sick so quickly and why we couldnt save him. I am really blaming myself that with being pregnant I missed some subtle clue he must have given me that he was feeling well and that is now going to cost him his life. I just hate myself right now and wont ever be able to forgive myself for this. He was our baby and our first dog that my husband and I ever got together. He was my husbands first indoor dog and the first dog he really learned that dogs have personalitys and he has a bond with him that is unbelieveable.

I just hate this and cant stop bawling here. Thank you all for your kind words.

Jana

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Jana,
Whatever happened to your dog, was not your fault. If his eyes were yellow, his condition was very extreme already which probably happened too quickly to reverse, and since you took him to the vet a week before, it wasn't like you didn't recognize he had something wrong. Chances are there was nothing that could have been done at that point. Lepto shots don't cover all the serovars that are causing problems, there are tick bourne diseases that can act very quickly also, or sometimes illnesses just happen for no explained reason, not from lack of care. It's very sad for your family but you need to take care of yourself and your baby now and not feel guilty and blame yourself. Have a good cry, but think of your health and your baby's health. Take care.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I just hate myself right now and wont ever be able to forgive myself for this.
Please...please....give yourself a break. You're an expectant mother and you have your number 1 priority as a part of your physical being right now. Try as we might, we can't fix everything that goes wrong in the world, and that's particularly true with animals. To me (totally amateur/Holiday Inn Express vet that I am... 8) ), it sounds like something degenerative that could not be stopped by anyone or anything.

This dog represented a tightly wound bond that you shared with your husband. You had to know there would be a day when that bond would unwind and you'd have to let go. Sadly, that day has come all too soon and the letting go has come as an utter and heart breaking shock that has gone straight to your core.

This pain, while all-consuming right now, will soon give way to the joy and expectation that comes from the birth of the new life that you and your husband created. The bond that you will share with that child has as its predecessor the bond that you shared with the first dog you owned together. Let the strength of that bond carry over to the birth of this child. That can be part of the legacy left by your "elkhound siberian husky mix boy."

Prayers up for your whole family,

kg

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Oh Jana, I am so very very sorry but like Keith and Nancy said, this is NOT your fault! Sometimes no matter what we do our dogs get sick and there just isn't anything anybody can do.
You and your family are in our prayers.
Take Care,
Becky

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
...part of the legacy left by your "elkhound siberian husky mix boy."
Jana...you are very upset right now as any of us would be in the same frustrating situation that has come to such a heart breaking decision...that you and your husband, so sadly, are forced to make for your beloved "boy".

Subtle hints, (which most of us do not recognize until faced with an issue), that something is not quite right...is most often not life threatening. But when it ends up as so, as many of us have been there with our pets...and some, also, with human family or friends at some time or other in our lives. ...it is not a good place to have to be.

Some tick borne disease, literally, does not give warning... my husband and I know that for a fact.. so heed these words if that is what has happened..even if never proven as often it is not. Do not take responsibility for something that you do not deserve to...as this would be the case.

I agree with Keith...your "pup" has left you a legacy...to have the rest of your lives. No one can take that away from you and your husband. He will always be a part of your family and you will build on that, your family, as you go....

You feel the way you do because you love and cherish your family.. as you would have it no other way. This is how it should be.

The thoughts and feelings that you have...that you missed something that should have warned you..or that you did not do enough quick enough is what most of us go through at a time like this. Really, it is and I hope you do believe me.

Jana, I am so very sorry for what has happened... please try to take comfort in all that you give to your family, ...in good times and the difficult times. This is what makes you the person that you are...and I am so glad to know you...

In turn, you and your husband are about to have the gift of life, a wonderful new baby very soon...as you both well deserve. Perhaps a gift for many reasons..

Judy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Oh Jana, I'm so sorry about your boy. I know how much he meant to you. That must have been an extremely hard decision but you can't blame yourself. If he didn't have the fight in him then you did the right thing. You will have peace in time. And especially don't feel bad for focusing on your baby, the last thing you want to do is stress yourself out really bad right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kourtney

1 - 20 of 31 Posts