RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month old British Type Golden Retriever that we purchased to start a kennel with. She is in her first heat cycle and accidentally got put in the same run as a boy...you know what happened next.

I have called 17 veterinary clinics and have found the only options offered are 24-30 day ultrasounds and abortion with spay only. No one offers a Prostaglandin shot to therapeutically abort the potential pups. I am concerned about the risks of the bitch carrying a litter to term at her early age, and I obviously don't want her being spayed.

Does anyone have a recommendation or better yet a contact for a vet in Alaska (or potentially elsewhere) that can help with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Non surgical.

ther·a·peu·tic
ˌTHerəˈpyo͞otik/
adjective
of or relating to the healing of disease.
"diagnostic and therapeutic facilities"
synonyms: healing, curative, remedial, medicinal, restorative, salubrious, health-giving, tonic, reparative, corrective, beneficial, good, salutary More
antonyms: harmful
administered or applied for reasons of health.
"a therapeutic shampoo"
having a good effect on the body or mind; contributing to a sense of well-being.
"a therapeutic silence"

If I had allowed an accidental breeding I would probably call prostaglandin a "non surgical option" though it fits the "corrective" "medicinal" and "remedial" elements it isn't beneficial, restorative, or health giving. Calling aborting a litter of pups from a7 month old puppy utilizing prostaglandin "therapeutic" is "optimistic"

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, flax is said to interfere with fertility and conception. You could try buying some ground flax seeds and supplementing. Used to be used to help with skin and coat. Still in some dog foods.

I'd prefer the pregnancy over the shot to abort the pregnancy.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I did 2 and a half weeks of adminstering prostaglandin injections every 8 hours in the course of treating an open pyometra, coupled with antibiotics. It was pretty awful- not to mention the bitch acted like she haDnt a brain in her head. I hope I can get a litter without a recurrence but I will be having her spayed if it recurs- it was brutal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Non surgical.

ther·a·peu·tic

If I had allowed an accidental breeding I would probably call prostaglandin a "non surgical option" though it fits the "corrective" "medicinal" and "remedial" elements it isn't beneficial, restorative, or health giving. Calling aborting a litter of pups from a7 month old puppy utilizing prostaglandin "therapeutic" is "optimistic"
I agree I could use a different term, several of which you offered. I do view it as beneficial, restorative and health giving to her. She is too young to have a litter, both for physical as well as emotional reasons (won't necessarily care for pups and may even kill them).

I understand the initial concern some readers have with the situation, but still am looking for help with non-surgical options.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You need to go into prostaglandin treatment with your eyes open- that's all.

I'd be intersted in seeing some research that supports inducing abortion with hormone therapy in immature bitches rather than letting them carry to term- what are you basing your estimation of its being "beneficial" and "restorative" on? Will you provide a link to some reading maybe? It's a hard answer but so far in your experience 17 out of 17 vetrinarians agree its not a good option.

You are in an Internet forum looking for a semi anonymous stranger to give you an option that 17 vetrinarians said no about. Does that pass the reality check?

·
Registered
635 Posts
You're better off waiting and doing the ultrasound later. If she's pregnant take your chances with the litter. The shot screws them up so bad that it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I personally agree with Swampcollie, but will point out that there is a place you can go to put your options in perspective: a good repro vet.

General-practice vets tend to be very spay/neuter oriented and inclined to steer everyone away from breeding. Many are unaware of the sometimes severe health consequences to spaying and neutering (especially in Goldens). A theriogenologist will work from the same perspective as you: how do we best preserve the health and breeding potential of this prospective brood bitch?

Amy Dahl

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Another thought is I am told that the first litter for a pup are always questionable, many people will not purchase from a first litter. Let her have the litter and give the pups away to homes wanting good pets....anything half Golden, should make a great pet!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I understand your thought process there but disagree. Thanks anyway for the lack of actual help though.
Sorry, but you start out on a form that's geared to training and working with retrievers in the field, and a group that's not shy about expressing their opinion, with a question on how to chemically abort a young bitch after 17 vets have given you the same answer and you get snippy?
You're lucky no one has asked the obvious:
A) purchasing a bitch to start a breeding operation - what are the qualifications of this 7 mo old bitch that indicates she's going to add positively to the gene pool?
B) The folks on this forum who breed dogs are for the most part hobby breeders who spend more on raising and training high quality dogs than they make selling puppies. What are you doing here?
C) What are your qualifications for breeding dogs and experiences that you can share here?
D) If you can't tell male from female and just allow dogs to get randomly tossed in a run, tell us about your qualifications for running a breeding kennel?

I note your address. Is there something in the water up there?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Accidents happen. You're now going to have to deal with the pups if there are any. I commend the vets up there that won't give the mismate shot. As someone said, the shot can really mess up the females and your chances of have any subsequent litters after that shot are slim and none.

IF she is pregnant, then sell the pups cheaply and do a better job of keeping your intact dogs apart next time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nature will most likely 'work itself out'.... let her have the puppies and hope for the best and expect not to 'turn a profit'

And as far as all this stuff about certain people on the internet asking you about why the dog is good enough to be bread, your qualifications as a breeder etc, etc... that can be ignored. Some of the best breeders around have had 'mistake' breedings and i have even seen some of the 'best
try to cover them up.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Try the flax and if doesn't work give the pups away and chalk this up to experienced learned. Unless your willing to lose your female pup.

I was in your shoes once long ago, Found a DVM willing to give the shot when my male with mild hip dysplasia caught my 13 mos old girl. The shot almost killed my girl by causiing a closed pyrometria and she was spayed to save her life from the septicemia that had set in. There is a good reason why those 17 clinics turned you down.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Whelp the litter and place them in good hunting/pet homes....

Good Luck Man,

Richard

1 - 20 of 30 Posts