RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question because this is my first intact female running AKC HTs....

First the rule book says ..."bitches in season shall not be eligible for entry..." My girl is starting to show
some signs that she may be going into heat some time soon. Signs like the boys in the band are starting
to sniff her, nothing more. Is she considered "in season"? Or is "in season" more like bleeding and
everyone (the dogs) trying to mount her? I train with males and they don't seem to be distracted by her
at this point.

Of course, she's entered in a test this weekend. So if I need to withdraw her from the tests and get a refund I need
a "veterinary certificate". OK, so I called my vet and he says "what kind of certificate"? Beats me, this is
my first time.

Is there some sort of standard AKC form for my vet to fill-out to say he examined her and she's "in season" or something?

And at what point is she considered not "in season"? Am I going to be sitting home for the next few months missing hunt tests?

Please advise, hunt test entry fees for a weekend are nothing to sneeze at these days and I need me a refund.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
First they usually need to be spotting but if you think she is coming in season, be fair to the male dogs and scratch her. The vet just needs to give you a letter stateing he checked the dog and she is in heat. Most clubs if they know you and they you would not say she was in heat when not will just give you the money back, but since this is your first time, you are going to need something. If you use your vet regularly he should not charge you for the letter but depends if he demands on seeing the pup. You can also take your chances if the hunt is not too far away and go and if she is not spotting it should be ok. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
She needs to actually be spotting to be "in heat". Lots of girls get a bit "smelly" before or after their heat cycles but they can be that way for weeks before or after.

More and more clubs are requiring a "certificate" for bitches if you are going to scratch them because they are in season. Which, is mostly stupid in my opinion as it can cost more to get the certificate than losing the entry fee. I'd check with the clubs as you enter them (call the HT secretary) and ask what their ACTUAL policy is.

WRL

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes, call the HT secretary and fill them in on what is going on. My little girl started what I thought was kennel cough so I called the HT secretary for the test we were scheduled to run and verbal on the phone discussion was all it took to scratch. Although I went to the vet and had proof, I did not have to show a certificate or anything to scratch and get a refund.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Run her anyway. Everyone else seems to:p

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone asking for a certificate for someone scratching a bitch in season. Since someone seems always to be running one that should have been scratched, they are usually thankful for the honesty. Definitely reach out the HT secy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had to scratch on running in a test because of season not to long ago. The weekend before she failed to pass on her two tests whick was totally unlike her as she aced two tests two weeks before that. Come to find out I had to scratch the fallowing weekend due to heat cycle and my trainer believed that was responsible for her state of mind when she failed. Something to keep in mind, if she is comiing into season she might not have her mind in the right place to run properly anyways.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Our vet just has a letter on file for us and changes the name and date then signs it. Makes it pretty easy to do things formally especially since clubs test and trial secretary's can be different each time. He doesn't charge for it either.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Let me emphasize this ... most clubs require that before they will refund entry fees (or partial entry fees), the dog has to be scratched BEFORE the stake in which the dog is entered begins. Trying to reach an event secretary the night before the event starts is pretty darn difficult. Don't wait until the night before. It is good advice for you to contact the secretary now and explain the situation... "I think she is coming in and I will have to scratch her." If she does not come in, you are covered.

In season... AKC requires a 100% entry refund by the club. As an event secretary (both hunt test and field trial) I have never seen a "vet certificate", although that is the term used. I usually get a copy of a vet's letter saying she was in season. Good enough for me.

Helen

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just call, email, or have a buddy tell me at the trial your dog is in heat, pulled a muscle, broke a nail, etc... please dont send me any letters, certificates or anything else. Its just going to get lost or thrown away, the last thing I need is more paper. I never understood the reasoning behind a letter from a vet, anybody can get one but why waste the vets time. If the dog is hurt or in heat, I believe you!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
any time I scratched they wanted a note for injury or heat.
But, really-if shes not bleeding run her- theyr not truly in heat til they start bleeding.

·
Registered
136 Posts
any time I scratched they wanted a note for injury or heat.
But, really-if shes not bleeding run her- their not truly in heat til they start bleeding.
some dogs do not bleed much at all and are still in heat, also after they stop bleeding they become receptive to the male (this one gets a lot of dogs pregnant). If you have a regular relationship with your Veterinarian they might sign something for you without an exam, but technically we are supposed to examine an animal if we are signing something , even a letter, as it becomes a legal document. So if you only see your Veterinarian once a year and you have not been there in a while, they would be within their rights to ask for an exam prior to sending any letter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts