RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NARC is at the 1/2 way point or thereabouts. Anyone besides myself believe that the reporting on the blog in the past was significantly superior to what we are experiencing? As was stated on another thread there is no substitute for experience with dogs in the field when it comes to reporting on dog work. :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Why are people continuing to discuss Vickie's blog when by the only account we have heard, she voluntarily chose not be involved? If the current blog has any fault, it appears that because it's put together by a group and not an individual, they aren't getting to view the test from behind the line like Vickie did.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
First, Vickie has attended over 60 Nationals. That experience is impossible to replace. I appreciate the efforts of the bloggers. However, I miss the diagrams and commentary we once received which gave me a better feel for what was happening.

Second, I am not sure I would characterize her departure as voluntary. The Retriever News wanted to move in a new direction and have a group signature for everyone's work. Vickie believed that she had worked hard to establish trade value in her name and wanted to have her name attached to her posts. There apparently was no middle ground. The News wanted a group signature. Vickie wanted to maintain her identity. And so Vickie is fly fishing rather than reporting on the National Amateur.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If it were me I'D rather be fishing too.:)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
First, Vickie has attended over 60 Nationals. That experience is impossible to replace. I appreciate the efforts of the bloggers. However, I miss the diagrams and commentary we once received which gave me a better feel for what was happening.

Second, I am not sure I would characterize her departure as voluntary. The Retriever News wanted to move in a new direction and have a group signature for everyone's work. Vickie believed that she had worked hard to establish trade value in her name and wanted to have her name attached to her posts. There apparently was no middle ground. The News wanted a group signature. Vickie wanted to maintain her identity. And so Vickie is fly fishing rather than reporting on the National Amateur.

But what's the ultimate conclusion? If people whine enough, is she going to change her mind? I appreciate the coverage we have and appreciate how quickly the pictures and updates have come.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As I mentioned in the National Amateur thread, sportcasters are paid millions for their professional eye and narration of the events, not without reason. I'm not saying we have to pay Vickie millions - but, the observations through her eyes, based on her experience, not to mention her writing skills, do make a difference.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There is no substitute for Vicki's experience.
Catch some fish!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here's a trivia question:

How many time has the term "clean" been used? :?

JS

·
Registered
883 Posts
CHANGE! How many of us are effected by change made by others in "authority" just for the sake of change? From our national, right on down, I have seen change made just for the sake of change and I still like the old addage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Does it improve anything? Think about what "improvements" are made and has it helped anything?

Just an old fart venting a bit, Bill

·
Registered
148 Posts
I thought that at least one purpose of this forum was to discuss, air grievances, all that kind of stuff. If enough folks read it, it may cause a change in behavior, policy, etc. I do appreciate the folks doing the reporting now but there is no way it's as good as last years so I'd like to see it better, not just sit here and nod my head saying " yes sir, thank you, sir". Last year, at least most of the time, I felt like I had a good understanding of what a dog actually did during its run. Not so this year...at least most of the time. I think that the reporting could and should have been better but I'm going to drive 500 miles to see for myself and if I change my thoughts I'll post again. As an aside and as a 30 plus year subscriber to The News I have questioned many of the decisions made over the years ( and, yes, I have voiced those concerns to the powers that be).
Bill Butikas
Blindfaith Retrievers

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I personally was hoping that they would of kept improving on the opportunity they had for mustering readership of RN via the blog - think back just a few short years ago when the AKC was covering the event, then next to nothing followed by the creation of Vickie's Blog. The RN could of run with it...keep the blog drop the "Report" and use those resources to take videos and pictures and/or getting drawings up of the setups. I think they missed the boat by not giving Vickie the "brand name" recognition she deserved/earned and created for RN. Heck they could of joined with RTF as another outlet to garnish readers/subscribers, but alas politics, person agendas, personality conflicts and over inflated egos cause too many to have blinders on. Sometimes in life you got to swallow your pride and not let perceived power and authority drive decisions that do not help the future of the sport. Oh well, enough of my soap box whining...I guess if I had the choice of no coverage and what we have this year, I'll take what we have. I do feel for the people writing the blog, I think they put the poor guy in a tough spot, I feel for him, it's a lot of lingo to learn - trial by fire.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
While I appreciate the efforts of those writing/photographing/posting the blog, I'm with Vicky. A writer's name is a very big deal, not really much different from the name of a product. I felt strongly enough about it I kept my maiden name for work when I got married and that was 20 years ago when it wasn't that common.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I miss the old, but am happy with what we have. Would hate to not have anything.....that would be very frustrating and make these June days drag on......

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I guess if I had the choice of no coverage and what we have this year, I'll take what we have.
I agree, but there should be more choices than "take it or leave it" IMO.

Prior year coverage was much, much better.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Very well stated, Lainee.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I am a little conflicted on the coverage of this year's National...in all fairness to the new guy Mark Koenig, its not all his doing,he has Tina (Ebner) Styan, and Gwen Jones there and this is not their first time at the senior prom...

seems that the news is non controversial, its very vanilla....Vickie had a unique style, as mentioned earlier she had a vast amount of experience and probably could not be replaced by just anyone...

the RN is going thru changes and trying to adjust from the old time rag sheet, to the new age of instant media,they arent up to Twitter type standards or Facebook but then half of the readers of the RN probably cant access the internet without the help of their grand kids

I guess if one really wants to know whats going on at the National one should attend either as a competitor,spectator or worker

·
Registered
892 Posts
A report of "The dog got the bird and finished the test" isn't all that helpful.

If you're going to do it, make the effort and do it right.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I've taken to just looking for whether the dog handled or if there was mention of something extreme happening. The rest of the description they're giving is useless.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts