RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of starting to use a video camera as part of my training. The intent of the camera would be to video my training sessions so I could review what the dogs do as well as my handling mistakes. Doing a search on the topic showed only threads from several years back and I’m assuming advances in technology have happened during that time. Question is what do you use for video cameras? I’m looking for something that could sit on a tripod.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
From a practical standpoint having someone else operate the camera has got to be better. You can hand off your cell phone to someone to video tape you.They could operate whatever zoom the camera has.

If you are more interested in chronicaling or archiving or having fun with it, then it doesn’t really matter. A go pro on your head is useless at a distance but It is fun for a useless first person perspective.

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
I would love to be able to put a GoPro right on top of a dog's head to see exactly what the dog sees. Imagine setting up a test having one on your setup dog? If a dog see that duck all the way to the ground? The uses just to see how you look as a Handler from the dog's point of view.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The videos on my YouTube were done mostly with a Sony HDR-CX 500. For a more recent model, see
the link below. (inexpensive)

newer model https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ull_hd_handycam.html/accessories?sts=pi&pim=Y

I added a wide angle lens and wind suppressor.

The following was a random pick from the past.

The follow link is KwickLabs YouTube home page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDUzEY4TRcagA9HMD_Uwakw
Thanks for the suggestion! This is something like I’m looking for.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I would love to be able to put a GoPro right on top of a dog's head to see exactly what the dog sees. Imagine setting up a test having one on your setup dog? If a dog see that duck all the way to the ground? The uses just to see how you look as a Handler from the dog's point of view.
I have such a video... on my old Chessie, Hitch. It was an interesting video. Hard to watch because of so much movement - but cool, nonetheless

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a GoPro so I can make videos for clients who have difficulty coming to visit. I think a Hero 8 black is what I want, but I'm confused about what remote microphone, I suppose lapel type, to get. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I have two Sony Handycam. HDR-CX380. There are newer models available as mine are getting some age on them. But they work great. Sony has free software for importing to your pc or laptop.
You also need software to edit and put videos on YouTube. You will.have to buy this. Mine cost in the $60 range.

Reactions: glock and KwickLabs

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a GoPro so I can make videos for clients who have difficulty coming to visit. I think a Hero 8 black is what I want, but I'm confused about what remote microphone, I suppose lapel type, to get. Any suggestions?
Honestly, if you are just talking to the gopro up close you don't need a microphone. I do a lot of filming with gopro's and have never used a mic. The only thing you may want to do is cover the mic opening with a little fuzz to prevent wind noise. Another option would be to recap the training inside talking to your client. The gopro though won't do much good at distances past 75-100 yards. You could utilize an editing software though to zoom in on the frame. I have had the hero 8 but I REALLY enjoy my hero 9

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My go pro takes an up close panaramic view. It is not a typical video camera. Mine sits inside a case and the audio is nil to none. Wearing it on my head it does provide a good first person view of the top of the dog up close.

Once the dog gets out ten feet or so it shrinks to a speck.

You can see it in the video on the dog!s head above in the thread. It is only good for three feet in front of the dog.

I tried putting mine on some hay bales for a no no drill and spooked my dog. It is generally more trouble than it is worth.

I think it is playing around while doing serious work. It also documents your mistakes. All people will see are the mistakes and not the success of the dog.

That might be something to consider. I’d have a camera that showed the dog picking up stuff clearly and blurry on the handler.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
In this day and age people have really high expectations because the internet is winner takes all. It is the best on the planet takes all. It is really a loosing proposition I imagine most of the time.

You could have the most awesome dog in the world and be an awesome trainer but because of someone’s boredom they will see it otherwise.

Someone would come out ahead if they only took pictures with ribbons in them. The picture would be better if it is blurry around the edges with the ribbon in focus. Videos won’t do unless the fog is doing a back flip or doing something anthropomorphical. Even that would be short lived.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I have posted hundreds of videos. I have received many, many constructive comments. And watching them myself I have learned to be a better handler.
Yes there are some negative comments that I have learned to ignore. All in all videos have been a helpful positive experience.

Reactions: KwickLabs

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Honestly, if you are just talking to the gopro up close you don't need a microphone. I do a lot of filming with gopro's and have never used a mic. The only thing you may want to do is cover the mic opening with a little fuzz to prevent wind noise. Another option would be to recap the training inside talking to your client. The gopro though won't do much good at distances past 75-100 yards. You could utilize an editing software though to zoom in on the frame. I have had the hero 8 but I REALLY enjoy my hero 9
I guess I didn't explain well enough. I apologize. I do sometimes video inside to send to clients using my iPhone on a tripod. We have a 4400 sq. ft. training building. I did one a couple of days ago. The owner texted me and said it was the dog's first birthday and wondered if I could send them a photo. Instead, made a video with their dog doing obedience work while wearing a birthday hat. But making a video inside the building is really only good for obedience and a few other things. I've tried using my iPhone to make a video outside and it usually doesn't work well. I've seen DVDs where the trainer has a GoPro or two on a short monopod or something on the ground and it's evident they're using a lapel mic. They're too far away from the GoPro for its mic to be effective.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The go pro that I know about are the one’s you wear on your person or mount on a vehicle like a surf board, skate board etc... That is their use.

I see people putting tablets on a tripod. With my go pro I operate it with my phone. If I just wanted a normal video I would stick to just the phone. There might be some advantages to the go pro being water proof. For Example: It is good for snorkeling for a first person perspective but not underwater photography.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Maybe they aren’t using a lapel mike but are using video editing software afterwards. If It is a commercial video production that would be guaranteed. They could play the audio from one camera or mike and be playing a different video stream.

The possibilities are really endless. That could be using technology from the sixties along side technology from the 2020s. It would be whatever is sitting in someone’s studio.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I didn't explain well enough. I apologize. I do sometimes video inside to send to clients using my iPhone on a tripod. We have a 4400 sq. ft. training building. I did one a couple of days ago. The owner texted me and said it was the dog's first birthday and wondered if I could send them a photo. Instead, made a video with their dog doing obedience work while wearing a birthday hat. But making a video inside the building is really only good for obedience and a few other things. I've tried using my iPhone to make a video outside and it usually doesn't work well. I've seen DVDs where the trainer has a GoPro or two on a short monopod or something on the ground and it's evident they're using a lapel mic. They're too far away from the GoPro for its mic to be effective.
If you're going to be doing something where the camera is going to be further away from you, try looking at the rhode go mic. I know there are quite a few people that use these. I personally don't have any experience with them but have seen them in lots of videos!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
The use of a camera lends quite a bit of value to journals. As I age, going on 81, videos
provide a chance to recall old memories. The following is one that I had forgotten about.
With not much else to do, it provided a brief interlude of recollections. Back then I was
hunting the backwaters of the Mississippi River. My plan was to take a small Migrator
Marsh Boat hunting. I would either tow it or carry it "piggy back" with my "big water rig".

However, before doing that Pounce needed to learn how to get into the "hide". So we
practiced at a local launch.

(YouTube video link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR1AMKlO4IY

Practice is important before hunting. :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe they aren’t using a lapel mike but are using video editing software afterwards. If It is a commercial video production that would be guaranteed. They could play the audio from one camera or mike and be playing a different video stream.

The possibilities are really endless. That could be using technology from the sixties along side technology from the 2020s. It would be whatever is sitting in someone’s studio.
I think you are onto something with the lapel mic. This would allow the camera to be far enough behind the handler yet be able to hear the handler speaking to the dog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts