RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear alot of people talking about Vocal dogs and was just wondering what everybody's opinion on being vocal is.

Is it barking? whining?

I am mostly reffering to a hunting situation or at the line.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got a pup with this problem...not a fan of barking in the yard or house, not sure if she will when we get to the field, but she is stubborn about being vocal. May end up with a bark collar

·
Registered
456 Posts
No barking or whining its SCREAMING!!!!! I have a seven year old BLM that Screams! He screams when we walk out the back door, go for a walk, or when waiting to be sent for a bird. He is now a pheasant and house dog as my nerves cant take his screaming!!!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I hear alot of people talking about Vocal dogs and was just wondering what everybody's opinion on being vocal is.

Is it barking? whining?

I am mostly reffering to a hunting situation or at the line.
Your dog thinks it has only one purpose in life.....Try to change that....

My penny worth.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I think when most trainers refer to a "vocal" dog, they're talking about a dog that it vocal on the line or while otherwise working. I haven't had a field bred dog yet that wouldn't carry on barking or whining in the box or while staked out before they were taught it was unacceptable behavior. It's super easy to correct, and it's generally very easy to not reinforce or encourage the behavior. Dogs that bark or whine on the line (or potentially even worse, after they leave the line) are a different story. It can be difficult to control and it's easy to inadvertently reinforce the behavior by allowing a retrieve.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a CML that whines at the line. He passed 2 started test and the judges didn't say anything. I have working with he on that by taking him off the line when we are training and it helped alot. He whines slightly while retrieving marks on water only so it seems to be working. At a hunt test on a seasoned test, the test dog would bark excessivly, to the point to where he couldn't mark the birds it was bad. The handler/owner couldn't even hunt the dog. Its a house pet now.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I think when most trainers refer to a "vocal" dog, they're talking about a dog that it vocal on the line or while otherwise working. I haven't had a field bred dog yet that wouldn't carry on barking or whining in the box or while staked out before they were taught it was unacceptable behavior. It's super easy to correct, and it's generally very easy to not reinforce or encourage the behavior. Dogs that bark or whine on the line (or potentially even worse, after they leave the line) are a different story. It can be difficult to control and it's easy to inadvertently reinforce the behavior by allowing a retrieve.
I wish you would share the technique. I have a 28 month old YLM that has been a whiner practically since day one. He whines anytime he wants anything or anytime he is excited (and he excites easily), he really gets tuned up when we get in the truck or if we are sitting waiting for birds to come in. Makes me crazy. I've tried ignoring it, holding his mouth shut and giving a firm vocal command, pinching his lip and verbal command, holding mouth closed and shaking back and forth with verbal command, heeling stick with verbal command, and even once biting him on the cheek hard enough to make him yelp (that actually worked for a couple of hours but I just can't bring myself to bite him that hard on a regular basis). He is slightly better now than a year ago, but can still get really worked up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts