RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so has anyone dealt with this before? I have a client who bought a female pup from me and the dog has a vulva inversion. The dog is getting UTI's very often or everythime she swims. I was thinking like a prolapsed vulva the first heat cycle may clear it up, but I have not dealt with this problem personally before. Any advice? They are being told they need to see a surgeon, and Spay won't help. The dog would need a vulvaplasty to correct it.

So any words of wisdom on here? PM on on this thread is fine. Thanks in advance, I am trying to figure out how I can help them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
More common than you think. In my last litter, one female had this. It corrected itself with the first heat season.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 months old. I thought the same thing. The Vet said she has never heard of this. Any ideas to keep her from getting a UTI while swimming.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
4 months old. I thought the same thing. The Vet said she has never heard of this. Any ideas to keep her from getting a UTI while swimming.
Maybe this will help
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

This is one of the regular exams for my female pups just like checking for dropped testicles on the males as they grow up before they leave for their new homes.

If my vet had never heard of this, I would seriously think about changing vets.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Surprised your vet never heard of it. Here is one link I just found on internet, but if you search for canine inverted vulva, you will find more info. Keeping her clean is important. http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=47

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She had heard of the problem and knew what it was, but did not ever hear of the first heat solving it. She just said she needed to see a surgeon, and she still wanted to spay her.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Spaying before the first heat cycle won't help the situation in some cases, whereas letting them go through the first heat cycle will. I know if a pup that was spayed due to this, and then leaked urine all the time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
She just said she needed to see a surgeon, and she still wanted to spay her.
It seems like no matter what the health issue that most vets these days want to spay or nueter dogs. I understand that for pet dogs it could be a good thing to prevent unwanted litters but someone needs to educate them about working dogs and keeping them in tact. I am very fortunate to have a vet that shows his choosen breed and understands the value of keeping intact dogs. Not to mention the health benefits, for example this very situation.
Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the general concensus is to wait till after 1st heat cycle to spay. It should correct itself at that point?

I am normally very good about checking all the pups for these issues, around the time the pups were going to go home, my father passed away and I rushed out of state to take care of that. I even forgot to sign the registration papers.

I will let them know the info I have found out from you guys here and pass along the websites you provided.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
So the general concensus is to wait till after 1st heat cycle to spay. It should correct itself at that point?
yes. that is the general concensus.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your puppy persons vet is scary dumb. I'm not into vet bashing but the first season will usually fix this NON-issue. Going to a surgeon at this point is just nuts.

Even pups with "outies" get bladder infections at this age. Some will get repeated UTI's. It's just a common thing with some female pups.

Give her cranberry tablets, dry her well after swimming and let her go through a season.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The general concensus is to wait until she has her first heat to see if the Inverted Vulva resolves itself.
In the mean time try to prevent UTI infections by keeping her clean and dry. The cranberry tabs can also help. If it doesn't resolve than the vulva surgey may be necessary. IF you want to spay, then wait until after first heat cycle.

I second following the advice at http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

Also, I would find a better vet for this puppy.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes. that is the general concensus.
I have relayed this info along with the cleaning info. Also mentioned the Cranberry tabs.

The general concensus is to wait until she has her first heat to see if the Inverted Vulva resolves itself.
In the mean time try to prevent UTI infections by keeping her clean and dry. The cranberry tabs can also help. If it doesn't resolve than the vulva surgey may be necessary. IF you want to spay, then wait until after first heat cycle.

I second following the advice at http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

Also, I would find a better vet for this puppy.

I am sending this info along as well, about the woodhaven website. I spoke about my issues with the vet as well.

My thoughts about bandfield were reassured.

I am so glad the owner called me though. I am glad they were able to call me and ask me about it. My first advice was to wait for first heat like a prolapsed vuvla but said I would check with you wonderful folks on here and a few other breeders and vets to doublecheck my train of thought. The owners are great, they called and asked questions before going forward with an expensive surgery that isn't needed at this point.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just bought the generic cranberry tabs at walmart and put one on my pup's food every night. I stopped using them when she had her first heat and her "innie" became an "outie".

I gave the remaining tabs to a friend of mine last week, who just got a pup with a slight innie.

I'll bet you there are quite a number of people who have pups with innies and don't even know it.

Dog does not NEED to be spayed...but if he is going to spay, he needs to wait for her first heat.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now the vets says the dog also has a vaginal stricture... Any help?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Spaying before the first heat cycle won't help the situation in some cases, whereas letting them go through the first heat cycle will. I know if a pup that was spayed due to this, and then leaked urine all the time.
I am dealing with this exact situation. The vet was telling the owner to spay, and now the surgery will have to be done in order to correct the incontinence issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts