RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Who cares, especially since it sounds like they have no intention of breeding????? Holy cow. ANother vote for a new vet!
Yeh I am finding ways to let them know the vet is bad. And banfield puppy program isn't worth the money. The vet once told they were gonna wait to spay brought up surgery to fix the stricture. Seems a little over zealous to put a dog on the table to me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
HOLY COW!!

Vaginal stricture...who cares if the dog is not going to be bred and even if it is stricture often it is NOT a problem.

I have a bitch with a stricture that has had two litters NATURALLY with no problem what so ever whelping...she spit them out. Breeding naturally was no issue either....

Again who cares, so what, especially if the pup is not being used for breeding.....and what was the vets finger doing up there in the first place to diagnose a UTI??

Now I'm questioning if this vet is using the appropriate antibiotics and dosage with this pup. Has there been a culture done??

·
Registered
687 Posts
I get it...money and fear factor combined.

Banfield Puppy Program

"We recommend that spays or neuters be performed before your puppy is 6 months of age. Additional surgical fees may apply if your pet is over 6 months old, over 50 pounds (normal weight) or if other atypical conditions exist. At Banfield, all anesthetic procedures include pre-anesthetic blood testing to ensure pets are healthy enough to undergo surgery/anesthesia. If your pet's surgery is postponed due to a condition revealed in the pre-anesthetic blood testing, you will be responsible for the cost of the blood testing at the time the abnormality is found. The pre-anesthetic blood testing included in the wellness plan is for the surgical procedure and is available only on the day the surgery is performed."

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
They need a new vet. Thank goodness my vet puts it right on the puppy check to wait until the first heat and I have it written on my guarantee and go over it with people. If they spay now they may have years of urinary incontenance. My vet said in her career she has euthanized less than 5 for primary cancer mammary tumors and over 400 because the dog is leaking and people can't stand it anymore.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My female had this problem. She had a UTI at 8 weeks old. Since then we gave her 800mg of cranberry per day and wiped her off with baby wipes after every time she peed. As she got older (12-14) weeks we started wiping less frequently or every other time. When she was about 5 months old we stopped wiping her completely unless she smelled funny down there or looked dirty. She had a silent heat cycle (i think) about about 8 months old. Then again at about 13 months she had a full heat cycle and it did pop out her vulva a little bit. We havent had 1 UTI since she was 8 weeks old but its up to you to give the cranberry pills.

Keep an eye on the color of her urine and watch for repeated squating and nothing coming out. If you manage it she will be fine with no surgeries involved.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ohh also the first anti-biotic my vet gave me did not work to fix her problem. He recommended I spay her before the heat cycle as well. I now go to another vet and stopped listening to him.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts