RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine and I were talking about walk-ups and hunt tests and wondered if instead of saying sit or blowing the whistle, you said heel. I think the rule book says either or but not both. We couldn't say for sure so I thought I would ask you folks. What is your take?

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I always thought it was a single command...

I prefer "sit" or the whistle because I don't want my dog to look to see where I am so he can heel but rather focus on the bird out in the field....but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
It's a single command or whistle, doesn't matter what the command word is (within reason), but you can only do one or the other. In AKC.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about NO!!!!!!!!!. that's one word.
Said that one several times before, so I know the answer to that one. Its "Have a nice day and such and such club thanks you for the donation".

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I agree with Lainee for the same reason. I prefer the whistle, he seems to respond better at that.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I said within reason, "no" in HT has been done to death on this forum and I think that falls "within reason" for most reasoning human beings to interpret. If one wants to try it, go for it. For that matter, walkups have been done to death on here and quite recently.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I know Clay it was a joke.
I said within reason, "no" in HT has been done to death on this forum and I think that falls "within reason" for most reasoning human beings to interpret. If one wants to try it, go for it. For that matter, walkups have been done to death on here and quite recently.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I agree with Lainee for the same reason. I prefer the whistle, he seems to respond better at that.
I will run two dogs in SH the next few weekends and one responds to sit and one to a whistle better. I'm glad one is black and one is yeller.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I know Clay it was a joke.
Now darn it, did you not get the peanut memo? We are supposed to use emoticons to make it apparent when one is joking or sarcastic or whatever else those things do. ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Frankly, think the ability to give a good stern 'sit' while a bird is in the air is a great advantage that can help through the whole thing if you have a hard charger. Nothing better than starting off with a walk up in my mind.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ran into a guy training his dog, he would say "know where the birds are, know where the birds are boy" before the marks. On the walk ups he did not have enough time to say the whole phrase so he would just say Know! when the bird went up...... I should insert an emote thingy here but never can get them right.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I does everyone feel the need to over think something as simple as a walk up. Train you dog and say whatever it is that works. If you train your dog properly you will not need to figure out a "trick" word to make your dog do the work. Maybe rather than debating using no, here, heel, sit....spend the time doing some walk ups and you might be surprised that you don't have to say anything because your dog will stay were be belongs. If you are worried about saying heel or no because you are worried about your dog, you have bigger issues.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
one of the funniest things viewed at a hunt test by me was. Regular visitor to my clubs tests from a neighboring state was running AKC Senior for the first time. A very nice person, quite successful in her personal career, with her dogs, not so much. Educated, up on current events, fun to talk to type of person. Not a cuss like a sailor type of girl who would buy tube tops at the Wal-Mart, is the point I am making.............
So, walk up. dog is forging a wee bit ahead of her. Crosses the "magic stump" and the workers let it fly. Dog takes off. She used one loud (VERY) word. It was a short word that began with the letter "F" and rhymed with LUCK! The dog planted it's rump, and then while still sitting scooted backwards right to her leg.
Judges gave her a controlled break markdown and a hardy pat on the back. Gallery gave her a standing ovation. Her face was so red. Dog crashed and burned on the water later. Gosh it is funny how clearly you can remember some parts of some tests.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When a dog is taught to heel, you can teach it to automatically sit if you stop walking. If your dog will do that, a whistle or "sit" is just insurance. IMHO.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
one of the funniest things viewed at a hunt test by me was. Regular visitor to my clubs tests from a neighboring state was running AKC Senior for the first time. A very nice person, quite successful in her personal career, with her dogs, not so much. Educated, up on current events, fun to talk to type of person. Not a cuss like a sailor type of girl who would buy tube tops at the Wal-Mart, is the point I am making.............
So, walk up. dog is forging a wee bit ahead of her. Crosses the "magic stump" and the workers let it fly. Dog takes off. She used one loud (VERY) word. It was a short word that began with the letter "F" and rhymed with LUCK! The dog planted it's rump, and then while still sitting scooted backwards right to her leg.
Judges gave her a controlled break markdown and a hardy pat on the back. Gallery gave her a standing ovation. Her face was so red. Dog crashed and burned on the water later. Gosh it is funny how clearly you can remember some parts of some tests.

Had she said "sit" in the same manner or given a blast on her whistle,. how do you think the judges would have scored it ?

john

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Had she said "sit" in the same manner or given a blast on her whistle,. how do you think the judges would have scored it ?

john

that is tuff to second guess.
the word used was so out of character.
and the moment of levity it provided definitely worked in her favor.
and she did control the break.
but the dog was a ways out.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
One word or one blast...no problem;)

john

1 - 20 of 25 Posts