RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old is doing great with the hold command when he's on the work bench. Now today we attempted walking hold and it was as if forgot everything! We would start walking and he'd drop the bumper! Any suggestions on what I should do from here?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
This is normal. Just pick up the bumper put back in mouth. Try to get very small amount of forward movement and then take bumper with lots of praise.

Did you try to get him to move with the bumper on the bench? This helps.

Sometimes I have to kneel in front of the dog about one step. Get him to come to you with the bumper, extend distance a bit, then go back to walking at heel with bumper. Remember, just a step at first.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wayne hit it on the head. Get him moving on the table.....correct immediately for drops.....short sessions....look for very small, subtle improvements each session.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
My 9 month old is doing great with the hold command when he's on the work bench. Now today we attempted walking hold and it was as if forgot everything! We would start walking and he'd drop the bumper! Any suggestions on what I should do from here?
Not using a table this time and not grinding it out. Taking the Hillman approach with this pup. Throwing a few excitement retrieves, walking on lead, sit, hold. If she spit it out that's ok. Each session I get a little longer retrieve, a little longer sit, and a little longer hold. In just a few weeks, with about three session per week, she is holding very well while walking and running. Its a different approach but I like it so far. Just take what you get and move on to something else, and try to make a little progress each time out. Don't get mad at him, it will come.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm with Captain Jack, I dont use a table I sit on a small stool and have the dog at sit in front of me, complience gets a fun bumper tossed and back into it, I don't know for sure but maybe the movement of retrieving plays into helping transition into walking hold? ( I found out later that this is the Smartworks method as well.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts