RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty safe to say that I have used walking singles as the building blocks of my present training program.

Now I have two dogs, one 3 years old BLF great hunting companion, good marker, and a good handling dog but not terribly sophisticated. My second dog is actually my sons, a 15 month old CLF, hunting companion and hunt test dog, training is coming along great, she'll enter her first senior test at the beginning of June.

I train regularly 4 days a week, at least one of those days is with a pro. Now with the three year old I find session after session of technical work, angled entries, poison birds, wiper birds multiple marks etc.. I find that alternating a session of walking singles really brings her enthusiasm back and with enthusiasm comes confidence. The walking singles usually start out in moderate cover at approximately 60 yards and could end at 200 + yards in heavy cover. Just the basic five retrieves in a set pattern and call it a day, the session always leaves the dogs wanting more, tails wagging and ready for tomorrow.

The 15 month old really enjoys the walking singles session especially when my son and I use ducks.

My pro used to ask me "when was the last time you did walking singles"? If I thought about it his reply was"if you have to think about it it's been to long"!

Just curious on what some of you use to use build or maintain confidence while still adhering your programs?

·
Registered
958 Posts
i like to do some walking baseball for those moments he needs some fun and confidence. my pup loves it and it builds confidence and helps his casting.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
YES.YES,YES I love walking singles for all kinds of reasons. I use them with my older dog for behavior issues, the 4 year old just loves them for lining and stress relief, and by golly, they are the best of all for my 16 month old working on confidence. They have absolutely nothing to do with walking baseball. Walking singles is just a great thing to do if you have one helper!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here is another way of doing walking singles if you have a training partner with the same level of dog that you have. You each take a bumper or duck and separate yourselves from each other by 50 to maybe 200 yards depending on the level of your dogs. You each take turns throwing the mark while keeping your dog steady and the other person sends his dog for the mark. You then walk in a big circle putting different types of terrain or cover in between each other. This might be something that a lot of people already do, I just thought I would share.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is another way of doing walking singles if you have a training partner with the same level of dog that you have. You each take a bumper or duck and separate yourselves from each other by 50 to maybe 200 yards depending on the level of your dogs. You each take turns throwing the mark while keeping your dog steady and the other person sends his dog for the mark. You then walk in a big circle putting different types of terrain or cover in between each other. This might be something that a lot of people already do, I just thought I would share.
I like that, might just try this tomorrow:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts