RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably should not share this with you all as I believe that we on RTF are above average dog owners in the fact that we consume our lives in almost every aspect of them, ie care, housing/shelter, exercise, competition, and to the majority make them a family member. I was slacking on the care part this evening you might say and was upset at myself and embarassed at the same time.

I got home a little late from work and let my BLF out of the house right away, Maggie went to the back yard and was doing her business and I went inside to get a drink and then my phone rang, since she has never ran off before I didnt worry about her leaving the back yard when I finished the water and the phone call I went outside and she was gone - I thought no biggy I will call and she will come right back - long story short after an hour of walking around and asking everyone I saw I called the police - I live in a town of 1700 people, I thought that something would really have to be bad in order to call the police.... I guess not a guy that lives right behind me saw the dog with out a leash and called the cops.

She is in a shelter tonight because I was careless and left her alone for 12 minutes and now I have to pay a 40 fee but at least she is ok and I know where she is but i do miss her sitting at my feet while I am on the computer, and i am sure 40 dollars isnt much compared to other places but it is still unneccasary as I should not have trusted her that much. but lessons are usually not free but I am just happy she is not forever lost or stolen.

Just wanted to vent about my stupidity and see if anyone else has made this mistake recently. Hope I got my bad luck out of the way and the rest of the summer will be filled with ribbons ;-)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
She reminded you of one thing tonight.... she is a DOG... So glad that she is ok and all you have is a 40.00 impound fee, not a vet bill. Give her a smooch tomorrow when you pick her up and she'll forget you had a 'human' moment...:) We all do it from time to time...

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Got yourself an escape artist in training ay?
Glad she is all right. Had one that could open gate latches.
That will keep you alert. And when they get out once…….

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I was always reminded of the story of John Luther's dog FC AFC Mirk of Daingerfield (National Derby Ch. '63) ...John was at a motel airing the dogs and let Mirk wander off...never to be found,don't know if a trucker/motorist picked him up or whatever may have happened to him..John spent a year and a half going from FT to FT hoping that someone might have bought him...the thought of losing him probably haunted him to his grave

I was so afraid on a cross country trip with two dogs that I aired them separately, and at night I used a leash

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It takes a big person to admit when they did something stupid and it's a good reminder that we all need. Thank you for sharing your story.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
I always use a leash when airing at a motel.

Belt and suspenders regards,

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Glad it worked out. Might go around and introduce the dog to neighbors so they know where it belongs just in case. It's kind of funny. We take them out and hunt them in places where they can get snake bitten, lost, run into other wild animals, etc. and hardly give it a thought but we all worry (rightly so in my opinion) about what can happen to them in civilization (cars, thieves, etc.) I watch mine carefully in the field but pretty much won't let him off leash in any urban setting and he has a pretty good heel and a strong recall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought that I was going to go through this exact same thing last night. We had put my pup out in the backyard to run while the family went to my boys baseball games. When we got home we could not find him anywhere in the backyard. What really baffled us was all the gates were still shut. We thought for sure that someone had decided that they needed our pup more than we did. After walking around the neighborhood asking our neighbors if they had seen anything suspicious we decided it was time to call the police.
When we returned home to call the police we opened the garage door and heard a little rustle in the back corner. Much to our surprise our little pup had somehow got his caller hooked up with the lawnmower grass clipping bag and was stuck under a bench. The poor little guy was exhausted from struggling with the grass clipping bag for at least the past hour when everyone was yelling for him. Not to mention how long he had fought the bag while we were at the ball games.
I can laugh about it now but last night I was sick to my stomach.

Mike McArthur

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I think no matter how great a dog person one is or how careful you are these things come up, I had a dog one time open a door that must've not shut complete and take herself for a walk. Spent 3-4 hours looking for her in the dark-rain, had neighbors I've never met spend 3-4 hours looking in the dark-rain. When we finally drove up to the house giving up, I got the whistle out one last time, and heard howling coming from one of the neighbors back-yard. She had jumped his fence, eaten all his cat food, and got caught, he didn't even know she was back there. Teach me to forget to feed until 9pm, when dinner time is @ 5:00pm on the dot. On the plus side I now know all my neighbors and they know who to contact if a blacken cat-food thief is running loose.

Just be glad she found and safe, I'd probably be getting in touch with the neighbors, and giving them my number so they could bug me and not the cops.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Glad to hear she is safe. One thing to be aware of is possible Kennel Cough, will depend on the shelter and if they have an infected dog in there. If you start to hear her hack and cough call your vet for some meds.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When my male Golden wandered off from our 2 acres into our rural neighborhood, he wound up on the back porch of a neighbor one street over to help their cat empty the cat food bowl. The neighbor's two little girls didn't know Buck and figured he was lost. They got some rope to make a leash and paraded him through several neighborhoods in the opposite direction and ended up at the rural corner market to ask folks if they wanted a 6 mos old puppy. Luckily, after we finished canvasing the wrong neighborhood streets, my husband drove past the market and saw an exhausted Buck out on display for passersby.

Immediately ordered a collar with a metal plate engraved with his name address and phone number.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Our local pound will not let you bail them out unless they have been spayed or neutered. Several years ago a friend had a beagle get loose out of pretty good lines and they told him he had be neutered before they would release him.He had to throw one hell of a fit ,them finally told them they could just put the dog down because he was useless without being able to breed in an attempt to call their bluff and thankfully it worked.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad to hear you found her!

A little over a year and a half ago I had eye surgery on my right eye in the morning. My better half dropped me off at home after the surgery and she headed off to work. I tied the dog up on his run line so that I could rest and he could get some fresh air. She comes home a couple hours later and asks where the dog is? I told her that he was tied up outside and she should have walked right pass him before coming in the house. We go to the door and see that he is clearly not on his run line and there is a pink girls bike leaning against the tree in the yard. At this point I am furious as earlier in the week I caught the neighbor girl throwing rocks at the dog. A quick discussion on who is going next door it was determined that if I went next door with an eye patch on and extrely mad she best go talk to the neighbor. Upon walking next door she finds the neighbor girl playing with the dog in their yard with her mother reading a book watching them. I don't know what was said but the dog came running back home and arrived before my better half did. The next day we got a letter from the neighbor girl apologizing for what she had done. Lesson learned...the dog does not go out unsupervised

G

·
It can happen to anyone no matter how much we love them and protect them sometimes things just happen. My neighbors dog got out all the time I took her home and told them her son is leaving the gate open she assured me she was going to put a lock on it, they moved a year later never locked the gate and she continued to get out all the time. When you know you have a problem fix it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was always reminded of the story of John Luther's dog FC AFC Mirk of Daingerfield (National Derby Ch. '63) ...John was at a motel airing the dogs and let Mirk wander off...never to be found,don't know if a trucker/motorist picked him up or whatever may have happened to him..John spent a year and a half going from FT to FT hoping that someone might have bought him...the thought of losing him probably haunted him to his grave

I was so afraid on a cross country trip with two dogs that I aired them separately, and at night I used a leash
I heard this story but it had a little different ring to it than yours;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad you found the dog. Some of the shelters can have some loonies that work there, makes getting your dog back a PITA.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On a related issue:
I knew of a handler years ago from Va. that left his dog in his truck while going to eat. Also left his keys.
Suburban was found quite some time later in New York. Very well bred and titled lab was never recovered.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I heard this story but it had a little different ring to it than yours;)
John was my brother's original mentor and training partner when they were at College Station Tx, I got my story/lecture from John directly..;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts