RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pond is kidney shaped, just shy of one acre in size. I'd like to clear the cat tails, and add either a point or dog leg near the middle. Any thoughts on how to go about this on the cheap. I have no idea what material to use for the point. Pond is about 3 to 4 feet deep where the point would go, 6 to 7 feet deep a bit further out and shallow around the shoreline.
Slope World Terrestrial plant Map Adaptation
Slope World Terrestrial plant Map Adaptation

Attachments

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
I agree, there are two parts, digging and moving dirt which can cost more than digging, the farther you move it the more it costs. It is astounding how much dirt comes out of those holes we dig.
It expands by 60% upon disturbance.
Find some place near by that is being excavated. They may need a place to get rid of the dirt
Be careful! All dirt is not acceptable, some is toxic.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Dump, push, repeat.

Reactions: jason370

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Before you do anything get someone knowledgeable to look at what you have.
Jim Gonia looked at my rectangular piece of water & designed a very simple,
basics pond that I could transfer the basics a dog learned to just about any
situation, they just became longer.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
Fortunately, I think Jim would make the list :)
That’s it not the only list Jimmy’s on, add best storyteller and best sense of humor. I chuckle from time to time of his description of his attempt to spread Roy’s ashes over the local countryside. One of the last times I saw him he told of a sign in a bar in McKenna, “No EOEs” (experts on everything), the world is filled with them. I did not see him often but always looked forward to the next time. He was a larger than life individual his considerable dog training skills notwithstanding.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
That’s it not the only list Jimmy’s on, add best storyteller and best sense of humor. I chuckle from time to time of his description of his attempt to spread Roy’s ashes over the local countryside. One of the last times I saw him he told of a sign in a bar in McKenna, “No EOEs” (experts on everything), the world is filled with them. I did not see him often but always looked forward to the next time. He was a larger than life individual his considerable dog training skills notwithstanding.
I would heartily agree with your comments having known Jim since before he was eligible to vote
& having day trained through several dogs in his training group. It was always nice to hear the
comment "you need to start entering trials with this dog". I had many conversations with his parents
also, the acorn did not fall very far from the tree.

I was around when he had an experience with a logger at the EOE. His comment "I thought I was
pretty tough, that logger showed me otherwise." In his early 20's at the time.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Yeah, I got lots of good advice when I built our place in Niland.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts