RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get some warm weather knee high boots. I have the Muck Wetlands and really like them, but think they might be a little too warm. I am thinking about getting the Muck Edgewaters. Does anyone have any experience using the Edgewaters in warm weather? Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Far as I'm concerned, any neoprene (or other insulation) is too much neoprene in a warm weather knee boot, something often inherently too warm for comfort in its most stripped down, bare bones, uninsulated rubber form. The Muck Boot craze came and went pretty quickly in my part of the South.

Here in Southwest Louisiana, LaCrosse Grange knee boots are the standard, but I've been disappointed with their durability in recent years and switched for some time to Cabela's uninsulated "Scent Free" model to get a bit more comfort in terms of better air circulation with their slightly wider ankle cut, but not much better longevity. Now I'm trying and, so far, happy with the poor boy version of Le Chameaus:
http://www.amazon.com/Le-Chameau-Co...=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1332769857&sr=1-6

The ankle cut is wide enough to make them the best ventilated and easiest on and off of those I've mentioned, but not so wide as to make keeping them on in gumbo an issue. I've worn them virtually daily and crossed a lot of rice field and other bad ground in them, but I've not had them long enough to see if their natural rubber will, in fact, significantly outlast the gone-to-hades synthetic compounds most others now use. Time will tell, but "so far, so good"...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Temperature wise, the Edgewaters are rated for sub-freezing to 85F. The Wetland from -20F to 70F. The one thing the Edgewater does have to offer is a mid-height boot.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I believe that "knee high warm weather boots" is an oxymoron.....can any knee high boot be comfortable in warm weather?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Le Chameau are a good fit, too. They come uninsulated and the material allows some airflow - kind of breathable, I guess you would say. They are very comfortable and have nice thick, gripping soles. I wear mine at work for 10 hours a day in the rainy season of northern california with no problems. I do add a dr scholes rubbery insole for extra cushion for my plantar problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that "knee high warm weather boots" is an oxymoron.....can any knee high boot be comfortable in warm weather?
I agree. Maybe I should have said Spring/Fall knee high rubber boots instead.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I agree... ain't no such animal! Either you get wet with Ken's "crocs" or you get your socks wet with sweat!

BHB

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I've got the Le Chameau Chausseur boots, leather lined, and find them comfy in warm weather. Because of the gussets behind the zippers, I can unzip them part way for airflow and still stay dry. They are pricey, but well worth it. I can walk in them all day, and be comfortable. They aren't heavy, and fit well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lacrosse Grange boots are as good of warmer weather rubber boot as you can find. I have a pair that are 3 years old and they anit even close to wearing out, and i wear them A LOT between bow season, turkey season (the biggest use i walk a lot of miles in march and april), training, and just wearing in wet places. In the summer you can't bet crocs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
A good old pair of uninsulated hip waders does it for me. Chaps/boots combined. You won't set any fashion trends though.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A good old pair of uninsulated hip waders does it for me. Chaps/boots combined. You won't set any fashion trends though.
X2, just picked up a pair of prolines for 29.99. Ran water the other day and sure was nice to be dry when done.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought a pair of tundra hip boots. Haven't tried them out but I think they are going to be great for water work the spring and summer as well as a great boot for teal season.

from Cabelas:

•Converts from hunting boots to hip boots in seconds
•Lightweight, two-layer uppers
•Elastic belt straps
•Silent and quick-tightening closure systems around thighs
•Uppers can be rolled down, out of the way
•14''-high boots

1 - 14 of 14 Posts