RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done reading Spencer's "Retriever Training Drills for Marking" and he is a big proponent of having the dog shift his whole body to watch each mark of a multiple, unless your dog is a chronic breaker.
So just curious...
When your dogs watch a multiple fall, do you have them keep their rump on the ground and turn only their head, or do you pivot your body and expect them to pivot with you as the marks fall? Why do you use the method you use? Also, would you do it differently for HRC vs. AKC hunt tests vs. AKC field trials?
Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The dog should move with you.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I think most dogs are going to shuffle their back feet some, but I don't want the butt coming up and I want the front shoulder tight to my leg.

TOES TO NOSE!

·
Registered
893 Posts
My dog is required to sit, and only move his head. That being said, I primarily run HRC, and AKC hunt tests. He does great so far marking to 120 yds. However, I could see some benefit, particularly for field trialers getting those bigger marks. With up to 180 degrees in play, at 350 plus yds, the landscape could seriously change when facing square to the mark.... that could maybe help the dog.... anything to help the dog..... JMO

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
412 Posts
I prefer butt to stay planted for AKC Hunt tests. I train quite a bit seated on a bucket with a swivel seat. The dog learns to swing and follow the gun without having to move. Field Trial training is a bit different in the fact that when you bring pup to line you take your time showing him all those white coats. The dog needs to follow your cues, (taps, snaps and movements) to get a good look at the gun stations. Not saying that there aren't times in a HT where you might need to take a step back so pup can see a wide mark, it's important that pup can follow your cues.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I'm in the camp that the dog better sit and only move his head as I move. I've been taught for the majority of setups (there are always exceptions) to line the dog's body up for the go bird, then have him move his head based on my body language - if I step up he should look left, if I step back he should look right kind of thing....I use to be of the mind set that the dog moves with me, not anymore, I like the simplicity of them moving just their head.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great replies, thanks!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Tight head only. Wide open, body is OK.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm in the camp that the dog better sit and only move his head as I move. I've been taught for the majority of setups (there are always exceptions) to line the dog's body up for the go bird, then have him move his head based on my body language - if I step up he should look left, if I step back he should look right kind of thing....I use to be of the mind set that the dog moves with me, not anymore, I like the simplicity of them moving just their head.
Ditto, what she said, YES MAAM!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I want the dog to be looking with me at that long first bird thrown. I'm not worried about the LBD. The dog is trained to move with my body. For HT I don't see this happening with others but then the birds aren't that far away. Even at hunt tests I still move the same though of course not sitting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts