RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was training at Kettle Moraine the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw a leech or two. Other than being completely unnerving, do I need to worry? Pulling off ticks is gross enough. I did a search, but everything that came up was in POTUS...

This video shows the area pretty well (not my video or my dog, found it on Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/trvance/2929878815/ What's the best way to get a thrower out there? I'm going to have to get a boat, aren't I. Anyone familiar with the area know a better place to train?

ETA: A nice feature of the new software is the "restore saved content" option. I've been having really flaky internet that would have lost this post, but I was able to save it.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I've never found the leeches to be a problem with the dogs when I'm up "nort"

Angie

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Never had problems with leeches til one dog got into a bunch last summer while training, staked her out and saw her chest/belly covered with dozens of little ones. I'll take ticks any day, thank you very much.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ive never had leeches attach to dogs and I've had dogs swimming in ponds my whole life. But luckily i dont have ticks up here either!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would think it would be the same as for people, as long as the dog is swimming, leeches won't attach. If the dog is standing around in shallow water, leeches will hop on.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I did a search, but everything that came up was in POTUS...
I'm sorry, I know nothing about leaches but this was too darned funny for no one to comment on.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
My golden came home from a swim once with a quarter size bruise on her belly......Freaked out a bit as it was round and kinda strange and changed colors daily....took her back there swimming again and then saw the leeches in the water and figured out what the bruise was! She definately was not just wading around in the pond....shes a goer and was swimming the whole time. Gross.......but have heard there is nothing to worry about but the ewwwwww factor......

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Since we're on the subject of leeches, why have I not seen any here in Texas or neighboring states??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Never had problems with leaches til one dog got into a bunch last summer while training, staked her out and saw her chest/belly covered with dozens of little ones. I'll take ticks any day, thank you very much.
Re ticks v. leeches I'm not aware of any disease transmission issues with leeches.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Re ticks v. leeches I'm not aware of any disease transmission issues with leeches.
I didn't even consider disease transmission, got them off right away and cleaned her with alcohol. I was more referring to the ick factor when I implied give me ticks over leeches. Ticks don't gross me out, leeches always have, since we used to torment each other with them at the lake as kids.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I didn't even consider disease transmission, got them off right away and cleaned her with alcohol. I was more referring to the ick factor when I implied give me ticks over leeches. Ticks don't gross me out, leeches always have, since we used to torment each other with them at the lake as kids.
FWIW I took a quick look for info re disease and it seems there can be some risk of infection if the leech is traumatized during removal and regurgitates into the bite. Best to remove them gently detaching the mouth rather than using something like a match, lit cigarette, alcohol, etc.

yuck

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I'm not sure I'd be able to detach a leech gently, lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should never pull a leech off yourself or a dog, I have always been told there is a higher risk of some infection. Just put some regular table salt on the leech and it will pull itself out, curl up and die.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
It's an endless battle. You pull a leech off of your foot but before you can set it down it is attached to your hand, so you pull it off with your other hand, but now it is attached to that hand...

Leech toe jam regards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts