RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you all clear something up for me.

When the older dog was just a pup, and before I ran a Junior, we entered a test that was called a Wc (working certificate) they also had a WCX (advanced working certificate that we entered on a different weekend.
I believe they were both an AKC event.

Are these the same tests that are what some field trialers talk about,and run, or are they different??

Gooser

·
Registered
238 Posts
It depends on the breed because they are tests sanctioned by the breed parent club. The GRCA tests are more stringent and probably meant for dogs that people want to show can do it but have no real desire to run multiple tests. The LRC only has the WC which is a very, very basic test to show a dog, is not gunshy and will pick up and bring back a bird. And to show that it will retrieve from water and re-enter as back to back singles. It was originally based on what the English Labrador club had set up. A member could not call their dog a champion until it passed one of these tests to show it at least had retrieving instinct.

IME the WC is many people's introduction to field sports with their dogs. When you see a dog with zero training doing it it makes you feel good. We've had people with older rescue dogs, 3-legged dogs and young pups who have never even seen a dead bird suddenly have the light bulb go on. We've had people enter our test with their MH dogs and let a 4 year old child "run" it just so the kid could get the rosette. That warms the heart and keeps kids interested as well.

Our local club has it's own WCX and it is just a simple double land and double water mark with steadiness and hand delivery, a lot of people that are preparing for Senior like to run it because it's cheap and they can't resist seeing if their dog will "be steady". We also get a lot of hunters who don't care about running advanced tests but still want a decent working dog. If we were to do it again we would probably include a blind. Some clubs have a WCI which is like a little of Junior and senior and then a much harder WCX. Perhaps a Golden person will chime in because I don't know for sure what their requirements are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
These tests are not AKC events. They are breed spedific skill tests that are meant to demonstrate the dogs ability to do the job they were bred for. They are usually sponsorded by the national breed club and held in conjunction with the National Specialty.

The exception to that rule in my kennel club, cuz I saw the need for more WC test I put together the first ever mulibreed working test. This year we are holding a double header test July 28 and 29.

www.fmkennelclub.com or entry express "specialty" events

The sad thing is that labs only have one level WC, the beginning level.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
The GRCA tests are more stringent and probably meant for dogs that people want to show can do it but have no real desire to run multiple tests.
Oh..this is not quite true. :) As you say, the GRCA sponsered Working Certificate and the Working Certificate Exellent...are very specific in requirements and a club holding the event must have it approved with GRCA membership in attendance.

Many Golden Retriever owners...enjoy earning both..as they go or one or the other. The GRCA sends Certificates to those that pass via mail. They are nice enough to frame. Ribbons are given at the events.

There are those that earn...a JH and some that earn a WC..just to show the dog can do the basics and go no further. However, many consider it very nice to have both from the GRCA..special to Goldens!!! :)

The GRCA WCX is a land triple and a water double..and a water honor. White coats, all guns standing out. No leash or collar is allowed once called to line. No talking to the dog once the marks start and also no talking to the dog on the water honor, either.

(although about 2 years ago I did see this rule bent at a test..handler reminded honor dog to sit and still passed...that was the first time I had ever seen that allowed. It was per that specific judge who stepped in ..new to the GRCA Certificates..but knowledgeable to "Field" Trial Rules..so went by those on a couple of issues.

Over the years of going to YGRC WC and X...many were dropped at the very end..as that is when the water honor is done..last thing along with leaving the honor position off lead to a specific place to put leash on. Some have had to speak to their dog to remind not to break (out) and some dogs have broke upon leaving the line to walk back of judges..to then put lead on. One judge stays with honor dog/handler if there is a distance between honor dog and working dog. Sometimes they do that..with cover between the two dogs...so each dog thinks it is his "show"..and must be steady.

Both of my Golden Retrievers have earned the GRCA version of both the WC and WCX and I cherish both certificates as I also do the Lab version Certificates....as below.

They have both earned the "Lab" WC, WCI and WCX, also....starting when very young...

**Lab WC - complete one land retrieve and two water retrieves to a designated area.. Delivery to hand not required.

**WCI - come to line off-lead, complete a double on land and double on water. Deliver to hand, not gun shy, on-lead honor is required. Boats may be used.

**WCX - Dogs must come to line off-lead, complete a triple on land or water. A water double is required. Land and water blinds are required. Off-lead honor. A diversion may be used. Decoys and boats may be used.

Guns are in camo.

Then..if Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers entered..they had their own set of rules of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Club.

I have to say that we had such a great time at the Penobscot Hunting Retriever Club, Dover Foxcroft, Maine ..earning the Lab Certificates for all three levels as we went..puppy on up. Birds, guns, certificates, ribbons and tailgate ...The Certificates are just beautiful..presented with ribbon at the event and signed by the two judges..

This same club offers the GRCA version, too for Goldens Only..at the same event..but Goldens have to run first..white coats etc.

So..why could your club not offer a WC, WCI and X for the Labs?

Judy

·
Registered
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
WHOA!!! This has got to be way more info than a MooseGooser can process, not? :roll: Besides, when did he get a Swamp Collie? :shock:

UB

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I let someone else run my Lab once just so I could take my Springer to earn his WC!!!

That was fun because I had done 100% of his training.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Uncle Bill said:
WHOA!!! This has got to be way more info than a MooseGooser can process, not? :roll: Besides, when did he get a Swamp Collie? :shock:

UB
Tons there for the Lab person !! ..too..as that was really what I meant to answer. The PHRC has offered the Lab WC, WCI and WCX for years!!!

I finally asked if we could run it ...so, test secretary asked the powers to be in the club, they said "yes", a Golden can run the Lab version :shock: LOL ...and we run it almost every year now..

This year, I will run my pup!! (yet another "SC" :) ..then I am there, too, for the GRCA Membership quota that they need to be present for the official Swamp Collie version :)

C'mon over to the "SC" side!! (ie Rug Rats, Mops :shock: ..whatever)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts