RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies and Gentlemen, I need some assistance or suggestions. I have a beautiful, very loving and confusing female Grady puppy. She is five months old and has little to no desire to retrieve, this is where the weight loss program come in. I throw her happy (what I think are happy) bumpers, she will run (sometimes) out to them, but 3 out of 4 times I have to retrieve the bumper, I have lost 10 pounds (very frustrating).. Anyway I am looking for suggestion on how to increase the desire, I play with her in the hallway, take her on walks, I have tried her favorite toy, balls, bones, ducks and pigeons. The old adage of leave them wanting more does not apply, she doesn't want the first one..

Is there any history of Grady puppies being slow (very slow) starters? I have been told she will come around, and that some of the best retrievers were slow starters.

I guess I have been very fortunate with my previous dogs in that they have been very energetic retrievers and can wait for the next mark..

I do have patiences (willing to wait) and I really love this little girl, but I didn't vision her in my mind as a house, bon bon eating couch dog.

Please offer suggestion, assistance and help.. I am losing weigh to fast!!!

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I've had 4 Grady pups, 2 were slow starters, 2 were not, though all four are/were lovely dogs in general. For that matter, my Pirate female didn't give two hoots about retrieving for a long time (yes, there is a dam for each of these pups, but the studs always seem to take the blame or glory regardless). What I did was back off and wait it out. Try one every couple of days, if no interest, I just stopped and we did something else. After she teethed, she gradually got into it and now she's a normal fetchaholic. After having a bunch of retrieving nuts, getting your first one that doesn't seem to care is disappointing and worrisome. If you have the patience to wait and see if she turns on later, then just let her develop, work on OB & stuff and realize she may not turn on but odds are, she will.

Some will also suggest having another dog retrieve while your pup is staked out or otherwise restrained where she can watch, build up some competitive spirit. Didn't work two hoots for any of mine but can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Also, make sure she's really well-rested, not having too much fun wrestling with other dogs or kids, etc, when you take her out to work. Make your throws really exciting, get her pumped up, toss it just a couple feet. The first time she runs out and even attempts to retrieve, make a big deal, make sure she knows this is what you want, that it's the greatest thing on earth. No expectations of sit or obedience, just get crazy wild stupid to pump her up. If she doesn't run out after a couple tosses, stop for the day. At 5 months, she may be teething now and have a sore mouth too, so check on that as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kim,
Thanks for the advise, I try it. She is such a nice pup, just don't understand why she is not interested in retrieving. I went out this morning with her and at first I thought it was going to be a good day.. Teased her with a canvas bumper gave it a toss, she took off, touched it with her nose and then checked out the grass, trees and bushes.. Anyway, I am going to try and separate her from the other dogs, keep her kenneled and see where that goes..

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
That might be part of it too, if she's spending alot of times with other dogs playing & such. I know I keep mine from alot of interaction with the big dogs til they are 4-5 months old and pretty bonded with me, just depends on the pup's attitude how much free playtime they get. Mine's been in an xpen in the living room so he can be part of things without constantly wrestling with them, on lead when we go out to air together, etc. The socializing and learning to play nicely with other dogs is important but it does affect some pup's interest in training more than others. I would, in your case, keep her to herself for a while, just daily walks and exercise, with you, take her for rides, walk around parking lots and town to get socialized, continue your OB training, but don't throw her anything, not a toy, nothing, for at least a week. Give both of you a break from what has not been a fun thing for either of you and start fresh after she's rested. Use her most favorite squeaky toy or whatever you think she wants the most when you do try again. Bumper with wings, paint roller, pigeon, whatever it takes.

Also, if she loves water and you're in a warm place, some dogs take up retrieving in water better than on land.

Hope she comes around within a few months, it's a shame when a dog doesn't turn on to what it was bred to do.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Do you have access to birds? Try a thawed out or fresh dead duck.Even pups turn on to birds better than bumpers.Make it fun and exciting but don't let her chew (much) on it.As has been mentioned some pups just start slow.Make sure you are well bonded to her as others have said.Grady has produced some very nice pups.
Have fun, be patient.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Do you have access to birds? Try a thawed out or fresh dead duck.Even pups turn on to birds better than bumpers.Make it fun and exciting but don't let her chew (much) on it.As has been mentioned some pups just start slow.Make sure you are well bonded to her as others have said.Grady has produced some very nice pups.
Have fun, be patient.
I have tried her favorite toy, balls, bones, ducks and pigeons.
Pigeon was my first thought too, nothing like a flopping pigeon to bring out the beast in a pup....sometimes.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
He said he's already tried pigeons & ducks.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My bad. I missed the OPs mention of that.I would just continue on with basics.Wait until adult teeth are in to FF etc.Keep things very positive.If you continue to have doubts PM me and I'll get you my address to send her to.
Just joking, my 8 month old Merlyn pup is enough for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did things alot different this morning, using all of your good advise and mixing it up, I think I had some success this morning. It really started last night. I spent 30 minutes with Josie (her call name) just me and her.. First we played with a teal in the hallway for 10 minutes, went really well. Then Josie and I went for a walk around the block, no pressure, no commands, just walk. This morning I aired her by herself and then we did 15 minutes of OB work that included 2 duck wing happy throws.. I was pleased... I will be tying a duck wing to a bumper after we get back from Raven Ways Hunt Test weekend.. Since some have suggested have other dogs retrieve, I thought I would have her watch all the Started Test and see if she shows any interest.. The Molars have broke through, so I will give her a couple of weeks before any Holding exercises take place..

Thank you all very much:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts