RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any down sides to a welded wire kennel?

I have a chain link kennel right now and my dog has learned to pull up the chain link fencing from the bottom to get out. I believe I have a way to fix the problem, but if not I will be looking to upgrade to a welded wire kennel.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Some rust out quickly. I had one from TSC that seemed to be well built and was fine after a year sitting outside. I bought a set of three Mason kennels and sold the welded wire. The key to chain link is to get the 9ga wire. Dogs can chew right through most packaged chainlink kennels

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but that Priefert Kennel looks real nice. I've got a 5x10 concrete pad ready for a kennel & have been looking at the priefert welded wire kennels real hard.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the TSC Pro Kennel, wire welded 5X10 and top just came in. Its great, goes together fast and i think with Tposts and using the side of the house as a 4th wall could go 10x10 easily when the pup gets closer to a year. Worth the extra money in my opinion!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never used the 9-guage chainlink. I had a couple of dogs that learned to just "shred" my packaged chainlink panels--I'm not sure of the guage. Had to use a lot of tie wire to keep the holes plugged. I got a Tartar welded wire kennel last fall and have loved it. Handled the Idaho winter very well.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Don't buy the Prefiert Kennels. The welds break and trap the webbing of the dog's feet and pinch or hook it like a fishhook. Takes a long time for the feet heal if the webbing gets torn.

WRL

·
Registered
732 Posts
Don't buy the Prefiert Kennels. The welds break and trap the webbing of the dog's feet and pinch or hook it like a fishhook. Takes a long time for the feet heal if the webbing gets torn.

WRL
I'll second that. AND the powder coating sucks...Buy Behlen Magnums and spring for the extra $ and get the galvanized version. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you have a metal tube on the bottom of your panels get a thin wire and weave it so the chain link is attached to the bar all the way along the bottom. Also buy a heavier gauge wire for your panels. 9 ga is great...a little harder to work with if you are repairing your own panels but well worth it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I take electric fencing wire and run it through the chain link and around the tubing the full length of the bottom and a little up the sides of every panel before putting a dog in there. None have ever been able to pull it up.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My Mason galv chain lnk kennels are going on 20 years and work as well as new. I've seen welded wire kennels 1/2 that age that are rusted out from dog urine. The welded wire looks nice but once the paint wears off the underlying metal rusts away. The Mason kennels have a bottom bar with the wire turned to the outside so paws can't get hung up. They are more expensive than others, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had an escape artist that chewed through the ties on any chain link kennel no matter how many ties I put on the bottom. Finally had to buy hog panels from the farm store and cut them to fit inside the kennel and wired them to to the posts with clothsline wire and that kept him in. When I moved to VA I bought two welded wire kennels from Wal Mart with what looks like chrome plating on them and after two years in the very humid climate here they look like new. I was never impressed with the powder coating on the priefert kennels. Powder coating looks good from the factory but water penetrates the finish and it rusts from the inside out. They do not put any primer on when powder coating. I am currently grinding the powder coating off a boat trailer and under every little imperfection there is a spider web of rust beneath the finish. Don't buy a powder coated product of any kind if you don't want rust.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We have had the exact same problem, in the years that we have had kennels we have encountered just about every kind of escape artist, kennel failure you could imagine. Tried just about every kind of solution you could think of, while trying to keep it looking nice.. lol
My husband is a perfectionist and absolutely detested the fact that the welded wire kennels we were looking at were not primer coated, (We live in Western Washington, and RAIN is something that we deal with on a scale comparable with the Rain Forest). Also welds breaking and experiencing what Lee pictured is not something that we wanted to deal with either, especially if a client dog is here. So about a year ago, he sat down and started drawing up blueprints for kennels for ourselves. Now that we are moved into our new facilities, (with a huge 100 x 60 shop) he's gonna be able to get them built for me. He's got them designed to suit two different types of dogs. We have dogs that wouldn't break through a screen door, and then we have dogs that give bear traps a run for their money. He's come up with a solution to my complaint about the separation panels, and not allowing cross ventilation. Also, those flip up (can't break out latches, ya right) I got a bitch that will have that flipped up and out of her kennel in about 5 seconds. Then another will actually life the entire door up and kick out the bottom and out she goes. I got a male that will use the dog house to up and over the top, another that can chew thru a lead wall and will test every square inch of the kennel for a weak spot. The rest of them are the "screen door" dogs. The watering system will also be something that will be a new design. When he's done I will post pic's, he started out just gonna make them for me (oh, and my .02 worth is that my kennels will co-ordinate with our kennel colors, no laughing, it's just what I do.. lol) However a friend of mine owns a boarding kennel and looked at the prints and has asked that he make some for her, she is replacing everyone of her kennels with these :) So what turned out to be just a honey-do project could very well turn into a lil mom-pop operation that builds the best kennel enclosure's yet! I'll keep ya updated and of course happy to show off the new kennels when they go up. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts