RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get out there and wet a line if you can. Just got back from almost two months of fishing. Doesn't get any better. My best year ever, and I have 37 under the belt. Fished out of Crescent City Ca, and Eureka, and the klamath river. Limits were the norm. My understanding is the whole west coast is, (cant' help myself) "off the hook".

Take care all, John

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
2011 was a pretty good year also.
My hunting/fishing partner and I alternate our summer trips between S. America for ducks and B.C. for salmon and halibut. This year was the S America trip. I suppose we could do both if we knew a good divorce attorney.
We caught 5 tyees in one day last year. Had 2 on at once and got them both in the boat. We knew it was a good day because the guide was taking pics.

MP

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Not so good for folks on the Kenai in Alaska. Commercial fishing has been delayed due to a slow return of Kings. Last I heard, they still haven't started up. This is a livelihood for many and could be devastating for folks in that area.

M

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lucky Dog. Stuck down in Louisiana :( My dad was stationed in Seattle with his boat and had nothing to do in his off time but fish for salmon. Jealous then, jealous now.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Here is dad, 86, step dad 85, and a very close friend. Notice I always get the small ones.

Never hurts to get the girls fish too!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The king salmon fishing is down all over Alaska and it is devastating. That said, the sockeye are running in the Kenai and there are a lot of fish again this year. The sonar counted more than 94,000 on Sunday going upriver. I hope to go fishing for silvers when they are in. Nothing like fishing for silvers. I went fishing in Prince William Sound and came back with 71 pounds of fillets, lingcod, rockfish and halibut. I live in this state much longer and I am going to become like a true Alaskan with the second chest freezer out on the porch right next to the smoker!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chesaka you're right "nothing like fishing for silvers"

Your statement brought back memories of catching silvers in the Chehalis River estuary near Aberdeen, Wa. I believe the phrase "smoke your reel" was coined by silver fisherman. That first run by a coho salmon leaves a cloud of mist around your reel. Ah good memories, if they're back this year in good numbers I should make plans to visit my daughter out there this September.

Ross

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
John,

Heard any news on the Tuna?

Jonesing for barbequed Tuna regards

Bubba

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Chesaka you're right "nothing like fishing for silvers"

Your statement brought back memories of catching silvers in the Chehalis River estuary near Aberdeen, Wa. I believe the phrase "smoke your reel" was coined by silver fisherman. That first run by a coho salmon leaves a cloud of mist around your reel. Ah good memories, if they're back this year in good numbers I should make plans to visit my daughter out there this September.

Ross
"they say" supposed to be a really good year.....Look me up if you need a guide. My buddy knows the river inside and out. Always limit with him. New 24' Wooldridge this year too...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Kokanee is good on the Sacramento River near Sacramento. Son in law caught 3 beauties last weekend. First time for him to catch kokanee. On the BBQ, fantastic! He is hooked on Kokanee. He and Don will be fishing Lake Almanor this coming weekend for whatever is biting now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Paul- I may take you up on that. I have some friends in the area but I never know their availability. I'll give you a heads up when I make some firm plans.

Ross

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Not sure what he charges clients but, I'm pretty sure it's under $200 a day. He's fun to fish with too-

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John,

Heard any news on the Tuna?

Jonesing for barbequed Tuna regards

Bubba

Bubba, no tuna when I left last week. I even checked Brookings Harbor. Water temp a few degrees too cold for tuna. I was Jones-n as well.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I'm with Bubba....I want a Tuna trip this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts