RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just trying to substantiate a "rumor" that was being floated around about possible water issues up at stewart state forest??? I hear that several folks had there dogs get "sick"(giardia??) and OR break out in a rash??? I just ran up there a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues???? I'm planning on heading up there to run on 7/7-7/8 and info would be great...I'm hoping its a "rumor" and nothing more!

Thanks in advance gang!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That would be good to know as I plan on running as well. I can tell you that earlier in the year we ran a water series in on of the heavily infested lilly ponds and my dog exited the water with what they call "water chestnuts", about a dozen. Never saw them before, they don't puncture the skin but they were big sharp pointy things for lack of a better term.

I have a training partner who trains their often....I'll ask!

Chris

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"water chestnuts", about a dozen. Never saw them before, they don't puncture the skin but they were big sharp pointy things for lack of a better term.

Yeah we have them down here in NJ as well...they're no big deal(other then that they are an invasive species.)

Thanks. Let me know what you find out!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have ran many tests there and never had a problem. Only way you can get Giardia is by drinking infected water not by swimming in it. Having had giardia myself and went through the ordeal I would never let my dogs go anywhere near a spot that might carry it. And I will also be running senior there on the 7th and looking forward to it.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have ran many tests there and never had a problem. Only way you can get Giardia is by drinking infected water not by swimming in it. Having had giardia myself and went through the ordeal I would never let my dogs go anywhere near a spot that might carry it. And I will also be running senior there on the 7th and looking forward to it.
But when dogs retrieve in water they indirectly ingest some of it, just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dogs train there every week and have not experienced the problems you describe.

Dennis
Like I said, I ran up there a few weeks ago in master and had no issues. I was just trying to get some info before I entered.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts