RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GDG since it is not training related...well some kinda sorta is...no maybe not. Anyway. Today the Heart Of America Kennel Club in Kansas City MO held their CERF clinic in conjunction with their yearly all breed dog show. Seeings how I live only 45 minutes or so away and four of my critters needed their eyes checked, and also the fact that my usual eye doc was driving up from almost 3 hrs away to be the one doing the checking, I thought that this would be the opportune moment to save me some gas and time. I even convinced another HRC club member (the Prez. no less!) to join in on the action.

Now as many would know, all good intentions kind to head a bit south when it comes to our four legged friends, especially with mine! The day started out overcast but warm with a nice breeze, perfect for those dogs riding in the back of the pick em up truck. Seeings how my dog box is a 3 holer and I had 4 dogs, one would have to ride shotgun, which never seems to be a problem for any of the dogs. Today, that honor went to Twister seeings how she is in the "family way" and she has been really getting spoiled by cushy beds and home cooking, as well as lots of hugging and a kissing lately...which is also what led to the "family way" situation I might add.

The other three yah-whos have been "roughing" it in their kennel runs with liberal time in the 5 acre airing yard and pond, since we (read that as me) have been doing a lot of spring yard work lately (read that as all of our fake winter work as well) and they have been feeling their oats and eating it as well, the oat grass shoots coming up that is. Some one....read that as most likely Molly, caught a bass in the pond and instead of eating it, just left it lay in the sun. It was about a 2 1/2 pounder, or it was until it first bloated up, then started to dehydrate in the warm sun.

Seeing how the yard is so big, I didn't notice the catch of the day until I noticed that dog after dog was going to a certain spot and sniffing, then spraying the area liberally with urine, followed by a good roll in the hay. Even the females were partaking in the sport, and some were obviously egging the others on by doing some trash talking. Thinking that this could not be a good thing, mainly due to the looks of absolute bliss on the dogs' faces, and the fact that they were all blatantly ignoring all attempts to call them off of the spot; I wandered over for a peek to see what all the fuss was about. As I neared the cluster of rolling, barking, peeing dogs, a bit of not so fresh spring time air wafted by. This was quickly followed by five dogs ranging in size from 50 to 80 lbs all jostling for a rub against my pant leg, some trying to accomplish this by darting between my legs as I was walking. It quickly became apparent that the shiny "healthy" glowing hair on the dogs was from the greasy concoction that they had made and were liberally applying to themselves.

Knowing that I only had 20 minutes to finish airing all the dogs and loading up the ones that needed their peepers looked at, I hoped for the best and started loading the mongrels into the truck. Of course as I am doing so, Dollar made his typical mad dash for the pond, I guess he figured that since he was going out in public amongst Foo Foo dogs, that he needed to wash behind his ears. Since bathing alone isn't much fun, two of the other dogs went with him, but only far enough to get black mud splashed up to their bellies. Luck was with me there though, since the muddy dogs were not going on the truck! Dollar came streaking back, smelling only slightly less fishy, and soaking wet since he believes in air drying his thick coat instead of shaking off. Of course, weighed down by all that water, and being slippery with fish oil, he decided not to risk injury from jumping up into the truck bed himself, waiting patiently for me to lift him up instead. Seeing how I didn't have all day to wait for his pretty hair do to dry, I obliged, getting a soggy wet tail slapped across my face as a thanks.

Beta came next, since she seemed to think that fish oil is beneficial for a healthy coat, skin, and eyes, she dosed herself real good before sitting before the tailgate, waiting to be lifted in as well. At least she wasn't soaking wet.

Last came Red, at 80 plus pounds of wiggling lummox who thinks that once you try to assist in helping him into the truck bed, that he no longer needs keep his paws on the tailgate but also thinks that if he stiffens up and turns into 300 lbs of dead weight that he is helping. Of course it wouldn't be right unless you also throw back your head, catching the lifter right in the nose. Not only did I see little tweety birds, but for some reason I found little nemo's floating before my eyes as well. Maybe it was the snoot full of fish and pee slime that did it....

The trip there was pretty uneventful, even though I detest driving into Kansas City with its architecture of stupidity that they call turning lanes and over/underpasses, coupled with the total lack of intellectual signage. No one hit me and I only got honked at once when I didn't eject fast enough from a green light due to checking on directions from yahoo maps.

I found the correct building (thankfully since this is NOT the best part of Kansas City to be driving around dumb in) and even found my co-conspiritours. In fact, we were a little early so we watched the finish of the sporting group in which their favorite dog- the german wire haired pointer- took second behind a overly groomed and coiffured golden retriever. I will take this time to point out that the black lab being shown actually looked just like a lab!!! Which is good, since they usually look like the rottweilers and I have to say that the rottie that I saw was butt ugly!!! Even they are getting over done! Huge head with and almost snippy 4 inch long muzzle, on a dog that obviously weighed close to 100 lbs. It was disgusting. And yes, I know what a rottie should look like!

Anyway, after seeing a variety of dogs with over sprayed hair (think the musical hairspray) that surely put an ozone alert for smog in the building, we meandered over to where the doc was checking out the orbs of a long line of pooches. We collected our paperwork and found a quiet stairwell to fill out all of the tiny little dots reminiscent of taking the ACT test in high school. Once that was done, we wandered around a bit, taking in the sights and happened upon a back door closer to the exam room with parking right outside. We (read as Chris, the Prez.) moved our trucks to that spot so that we could make a quick entrance and get away, especially since they were afeared that their dog was going to make off with one of those fluffy little chew toys that were squeaking and jumping around on those shoestring leads.

The "marshall" man trying to wrangle dogs in some semblance of order told us to go and get our beasts. This is where the Prez. and his lovely wife finally figured out why they were really invited along for the fun...namely, one of me + four of my dogs = two hands short! Thankfully, Prez's wife is a peach and she offered to help me out by being drug through two doors and a narrow hall full of yapping dogs by Red and Beta. Not really sure how she ended up with those two particular trouble makers :roll eyes: It wasn't too long before Red was giving her the "warm fuzzies" by showing Kate just how much he loved her, by peeing on her leg and into her shoe. All the while, Beta was trying to help in the worst way by lunging on the end of the lead to try to pull Kate out of the way I am sure.

My two dogs sat relatively quietly, watching Red "apologize" to Kate by leaning up against the front of her leg and rubbing against it....maybe sharing some of that fish love potion perhaps? Kate and the Prez's dog on the other hand rudely just sat beside Chris, ignoring antics of my dogs, not even trying to help out his "momma" even though she dotes on him constantly. Triton sat like a statue, maybe due to the fact that he couldn't see due to the drops they put in his eyes, as numerous potential chew toys bounced and waddled by him. One would think that the dog was blind, missing all of those opportunities for a quick bite, but the doc said that his eyes were perfect...go figure.

As I lead my monsters in one at a time, all received passing scores on their tests, and as they passed some of the Foo Foo dogs in line, I saw that some of their owners turned up their noses at my obviously NOT show dog labs...

.....or maybe it was the smell???? :razz:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Haha, well congrats on the "passes" (you were one brave soul to go to a dog show to do them!).

And kudos for doing your CERFs regardless. It's been a little frustrating lately to see that not many are doing their's annually, even on stud dogs. :( Can't for the life of me figure out why you'd take a short cut on clearances. Do people not understand that a CERF is only good for one year?

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Raina, fantastic story! I sympathize all the way.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of it may be the lack of ACVO vets within 2 hrs or less of driving. I have one close- about 40 minutes away, but quite frankly she sucks....she flat out told me that she just doesn't "do" CERF exams on dogs, and that she isn't comfortable doing them on pups. She would literally say "well....I don't know...I THINK I see SOMETHING, but I can't be sure, it may just be normal. Come back and retest in 6 months....this on a litter of pups that were already sold.
I take mine to the Vet that I seen today, she is out of Columbia MO which is about 3 hrs away. I take mine to her house on a Saturday and we do them in her bathroom at a discounted price since we are not using the Univ. clinic. She is one of the few ACVO vets that is on the actual board that decides what gets put on the exam sheets and who gets into the training program each year..which is limited to just two a year for the whole USA by the way! This is why they are so hard to find!
People in general do not want to take the time and effort to drive further than their local Wal-mart for anything, so I can see why many once in a blue moon or pet owners do not get it done annually, as well as those who have oodles of dogs and lack of a dog truck to transport.
My vet was there today from noon and we were done by 5:30ish and although we were supposed to be the last ones registered (you were supposed to pre-register) they were taking walkups and there was a huge line. She made the comment that she was paying off her student loans today! and that also she didn't realize that there was such a need for the cheaper clinics such as today's in this area. The local ACVO vet does not hold CERF clinics like her predecessor did, he was my first eye vet and he used to hold monthly eye clinics along with OFA Heart clinics before he left to open another eye clinic in Arizona.
The difference in cost here: regular price CERF exam = $52 first dog, $46 each add'l VS. CERF clinic price of $25 per dog regardless of number.
But you are correct Anne, they should be done more often, mine I will admit get done every 2 yrs for the boys, the girls get theirs done with their pups which may be annually or not depending on when they are bred. They do have theirs done BEFORE their first litter though, most once as a pup and again at age 2.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raina, fantastic story! I sympathize all the way.
I even left out sticking myself with Red's micro chip needle when trying to keep him from jumping off the tailgate and recapping the needle when I was done....and oh yeah! Falling on my ass thanks to Twister wrapping her lead around both legs and pulling tight right as I was stepping off my back tire from closing the dog box doors.
Yep, memories are priceless for sure!!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Some of it may be the lack of ACVO vets within 2 hrs or less of driving.
While I agree with that, it's also fairly easy around here to host a clinic (like the one you attended at the dog show). Shoot... for 12 of the past 14 yrs, I've personally chaired and filled out 60-70 CERF forms in advance myself (~20 hrs of prep time to put it together) here! And I save each of them $10-15+ a dog plus 2/3 tank of gas and several hours of vacation time.

Our ACVO will actually do a clinic in our area for 30 dogs minimum and give us a price of $21-22/dog.... vs $39 each (or $29 for 5+ dogs) at the clinic, 85 miles away. But some still apparently think that's too much $$$ or inconvenient, or just really not that important. We only upcharge by ~$2 per dog for bldg rent when we do a clinic for our kennel club.

I dunno, but I've heard of a few who have gotten surprises by ages 4-6 on eyes, so I shudder when I hear friends tell me the sire and dam of their soon-to-be $$$ puppy only had had puppy CERFs done and their litter will not be done either. And another who was looking for a FC or CH/MH type to breed to and her top picks hadn't had a CERF in recent years either (she abandoned the thought of breeding). JMO, it's a crazy place to save on costs when we can get them done so cheaply at a show or clinic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the best part of the day was watching Red express his love for Kate as I watched. But then trying to hide the smile and laugh was not done well enough...and I was in the dog house. And the shoe is still drying out after getting a wash when we got home.

Great story Raina.

And yes, I think we were getting some funny looks for not having "show" dogs.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Enjoyed your story. I usually make the trip every year the last weekend in June to the Oklahoma City Summer Classic dog show downtown as I always have one or two that need exams. It's usually the only time I have access to a vet cardiologist, CERF, and patella exam all at one time for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Haha sounds like something I would go thru. Corona gets hers done every year at our local show. Best $30 piece of mind you can buy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts