RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 1/2 month old make lab. He is a ballistic missle and loves to learn and train. He is having a little problem with doubles. I use/watch/study the Bill Hillman training video so have been easing into all of this training.

The doubles i do are more 'baby" doubles. not far and with no pressure.

My pup just wants to hurry up and get over with the first bumper and go to the memory bumper. He is bored and real laxadazy with the first one and full of energy with the second bumper.

Any input/advice/tips?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Try to get with a training group or find a club.

Don't do doubles yet...

Depending on your goals it either "won't hurt anything" or be "something terrible."

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
4.5 months is not to early to be doing simple hand thrown doubles.

I've started my 11 week old pup with a couple. Went completely over her head both times. I'll do ~one a week until she starts getting it and increase it from there. Usually, I have trouble with them running out to the go bird and then over to the other one forgetting that I'm in the picture and am supposed to be getting the birds the pup is retrieving.

Do you think that your dog is concentrating on the first bird down making his work on the go bird lackadaisical? If that's it, you could try to put a corner of a house or a fence or something else to separate the birds so he doesn't see the first bird down when working on the go bird. Other than that, keep on working on doubles. Don't do to many of them, maybe once a week like I do, until you can see the pieces coming together in his mind. Really shouldn't take long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got to say, this is something I haven't heard of or seen before, specifically the thing where he seems disinterested and bored with the "go" bird, but fires up for the memory bird. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has seen this ????????
Should be seeing a little of the opposite until dog is accustomed to doubles.
If it were me and I were reallhy seeing this, I'd try 3 or even 4 hand thrown dummies just to see what happens. Very unusual.
Or, is it simply that the dog is looking out at the area of the fall of the memory bird as he's brunging back the first one? That's normal and a good thing. It's not becasue he's disinterested in the first one, he's just rarin' to go on the next one and he remembers it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I concur with Howard.

I've always felt that a dog that could run a simple single mark could and should be exposed to doubles. In common with many I separate them not by a few yards but by 180 degrees; ie one in front and one behind. I believe there are steadiness and focus benefits doing it this way.

Eug

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This is simply aprehension about the new element to an otherwise familiar routine. If Brex is following Hillmann, his pup has had, perhaps, hundreds of repetitions of a short, visible, single retrieve. This is part of Hillmann's Traffic Cop routine.

Now, you've suddenly made a big change to this familiar routine. The second bumper down represents disruption to this familiar routine. This is a new and confusing element. The first (memory) bumper is the part of the exercise that he is confident with and that's why his attitude and enthusiasm returns to normal when he performs this part of the exercise.

When you introduce a new concept it is normal for the pup to express confusion. Make it as simple and clear for the pup as you possibly can.

In this case the pup picked up the correct (go) bumper instead of the one he really wanted to get first. This is what you wanted -- this is a big success! Make sure your pup knows how happy you are about this. As Hillmann says, "all the excitement you can muster".

He just needs more repetitions of this "baby double" with plenty of praise and encouragement, and interspersed with breaking singles to keep his excitement and energy high.

edit: As with any single concept or skill in the Hillmann method, you should not get bogged down in a single session working on this. Keep the balance. You've introduced it and it doesn't need to be perfect. Spend a little time on this in each session and try to make slight improvements as you go forward.

Jim

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've been doing Memory Doubles since my pup was around 12 weeks old, he's 4 months now. I too am following Hillmann and do these little memory marks on off days.

Pretty much like seen here by Evan;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNSMLPYLJc

My pup however started to anticipate going after the 2nd bumper and thus would pick up the 1st, try to drive by me on his way back and drop the bumper at my feet and keep going for the 2nd one. I've corrected this by making the 2nd one even shorter and being sure to stand between him and the memory mark while also letting him drag the check cord so I can keep him from doing so. He now understands he has to come back to me first and TRUST that I WILL allow him to go get the second one. Had he given me any more real trouble I would have waited until his 'HERE' was more reliable with his understanding that he has to come back to me first before going for the memory mark.

IMHO Like most Extracurricular Activities(I guess you could call them that) at the slightest sign of confusion I back off. I think most of these little extra sessions CAN be used to increase pups knowledge early on, but most are not necessary. So if it's working perfect, great, if it's not, STOP immediately! lest you allow bad habits to form.

/

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My pup is 17 weeks now and I started doing doubles about 2 weeks ago. I threw them on either side of a big azalea bed so there would be a barrier between them. As soon as he came around the bed he headed to the other bumper. After that it was time to put a leash on him to reel him in if he came by me again. I'm throwing very short and far apart. He is learning and I'm not having to reel him in as much. I'm doing it once or twice a week and maybe 3-4 throws. Getting better every time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts