RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
You could raise pheasants. I prefer pigeons for puppy training. Could also depend on what you are training for. Hunting, trials, tests.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ducks and Chukars.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Met a guy this weekend that runs pointing dogs. He raises quail and chuckar.

I runt hunt tests and field trials. If I were going to raise birds, I'd raise mallards. If I raised another bird, would be pheasant.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The beauty of raising quail and using them for pointing dog training is the fact that they come back to a recall pen...with a lil' help from the quail remaining inside the pen. The same birds can be used again and again.

After a lil' conditioning time, pigeons come back too.

So...if you are training your retriever for upland hunting and have your own property with room enough for a quail recall pen or for a pigeon house, you have the ability to reuse birds again and again if you're working on flushing. This will save money.

The problem with bobwhite quail for a flushing dog is that if you're working on steadiness, a covey flush could be unnerving. If you're using a launcher during early stages of training, bob white aren't the hardiest of birds. Pigeons would hold up better. But, I know of dogs that don't react as well to pigeons as they do to game birds. So, your choice of chukar is a great one.

Pheasants would be awesome. A nice population of pheasant will help the dog develop tracking skills. But you'll need a large piece of property with good cover to support the birds once they are released. You'll lose a lot to predators. Pen raised birds are dumb. The local fox and hawk populations will love you.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Chuckar sounds like a good one, I'll have to check into that.

Don't know if I would want to raise call ducks, but love using them for training with young dogs. They're smaller than mallards, bigger than pigeons. But I hear they are difficult to raise due to a lack of natural ability to feed themselves? So I buy them from other people who do the hard part.

Jennifer

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
For a ten year period, I had ready, wholesale priced access to our camp preserve's pheasants, chukar and quail, but I far more frequently used homing pigeons with both my retrieving and pointing dogs. Easy to raise and virtually guaranteed to recycle after each use that doesn't kill it. My pups see tons of flown birds at precious little cost, and now that the preserve operation is gone, I've not missed access to training "game" birds at all.

Do also use some of a friend's English caller culls, primarily for water search work, but they keep well in the loft with the pigeons.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I prefer chicks in spaghetti straps, daisy dukes, and cowboy boots but I"m just an old pervert.;-)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pigeons and mallards, with the occasional chukar.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Would prefer mallards or pigeons. I've used chuckers and there's nothing wrong with them the first time. Pigeons hold up better and can still be used a couple of times at least after being shot (dead pigeons work great for blinds). Chuckers seem to be pretty much done after the first time you use them.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Chukars and Pheasants. That way I get to cook them and share some with the dog. They deserve a little for their efforts. I do the same thing during the hunting season and give a big thanks to them for the day's hunt.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
From a bang for your buck standpoint, you can't beat adult mallard ducks......

john

·
Registered
261 Posts
We use a mallard x rowan for ducks. Have started using chuckar but have to purchase both. Too many predators around to keep them. Right now helping the local farmers by trapping pigeons.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
For young pups (about 6 wks), I let them have a go at a shackled pigeon. Then might use pigeons up to 8-10 wks. But if the pups continue to want to chew on the pigeons, I go to bumpers until basic retrieving desire is determined & conditioned. From that point, its ducks (hen mallards if possible). Once dogs are doing check down marks, I prefer hen pheasants for most all check down marks when possible & for close flyers, when possible. Even so, mallards are the primary training birds for my dogs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the input, i love raising messy mallards... now to convince the hubby i NEED them. we also do chukars and sell some.. purchased tires for the jeep last year with extra chukars..

pigeons , have tons to catch if the little old ladies dont yelll at me for catching their pets..

thanks again.. i am Ne PA.... if u ever need some birds..lol.

maria

1 - 19 of 19 Posts