RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I lost my 2-1/2 year old choc. lab saturday and I am just lost thinking I could have done something please give me your feedback.
The day started 8 am I loaded my two dogs on the truck in there non insulated aluminum dog box and drove thirty miles to meet the guys I was going to train with. We arived at 9 am I backed the truck under a tree for shade and gave the dogs water ran my first dog at around 11 am she did great got water and back on the truck ran my choc right after her and he did great no signs of problems he gets water goes back on the truck.We get home around 2 pm I open his kennel door to find him barely alive I started pouring water all over him had my wife call the emergency vet 30 miles away I got in the back of the truck with him and two buckets of water he did not make it down the street. I am not sure what I could have done different please help. THE TEMP WAS AROUND 98 F my other black female same age is fine we do this every weekend and I train them everyday closer to home the stay outside all the time.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I am sorry for your loss, it is a very hard thing. You might want to read the sticky at the top of this page titled "Cooling-back by demand". Lots of good info there for preventing overheating, as well as treatment. All I can add is that I check my dogs often when it is hot and check everyone to make sure they are okay, empty water bowls, etc, before I head for a longish drive home and every dog handles heat differently, some are more susceptible than others. Stakeouts are a good idea for a dog after running regardless of weather, IMO. As well, he may have had something else physically going on, if he was intact, a female in heat could have gotten him overly agitated, or EIC affected can be a factor, just some random examples. Again, sorry for your loss, I'm sure it was a terrible shock.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Hello all I lost my 2-1/2 year old choc. lab saturday and I am just lost thinking I could have done something please give me your feedback.
The day started 8 am I loaded my two dogs on the truck in there non insulated aluminum dog box and drove thirty miles to meet the guys I was going to train with. We arived at 9 am I backed the truck under a tree for shade and gave the dogs water ran my first dog at around 11 am she did great got water and back on the truck ran my choc right after her and he did great no signs of problems he gets water goes back on the truck.We get home around 2 pm I open his kennel door to find him barely alive I started pouring water all over him had my wife call the emergency vet 30 miles away I got in the back of the truck with him and two buckets of water he did not make it down the street. I am not sure what I could have done different please help. THE TEMP WAS AROUND 98 F my other black female same age is fine we do this every weekend and I train them everyday closer to home the stay outside all the time.
first of all, i'm sorry you lost your dog.

i guess for starters i would advise you to get an insulated box with forced air circulation. don't put the dogs away wet. dry them off after working and stake them out close enough to the truck that they can get under it if they need to. make sure their water is cold. in hot weather i freeze it in 1 gallon milk jugs and take them out the night before. the last thing is that i would get as early a start as possible in Texas in the summer.

it also wouldn't be a bad idea to have the dogs in the truck cab with you for the ride home if you have air conditioning.

again, sorry for your loss.-Paul

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Among the other suggestions, we never put them up until they are somewhat dry by staking them out and drying them off before putting them in the box. It can happen rather quickly when they are wet, hot, and then put in the box. It becomes a little heat chamber.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Get yourself a chamois for drying a car. They super fast absorbent and can dry a dog down really quickly. Not only is staking a dog out to let them dry a good idea, it also helps them cool down and relax as well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Im sorry for your loss.
My trap rides in the cab. I gotta figure out what to do come winter? Seat covers might work. A cold, wet dog, is sure to make a mess.
I don't even leave him in the truck. He goes into the stores and busines's with me.
Are you sure heat is what did him in?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry for your loss, words don't mean much but we have all been there and the "could of and should of" can eat you up.

It is probably too late, but have you considered having your vet do an actual necropsy? For an unexplained death it is best to find out why. It might not have been the heat at all. Or it if is the heat, you know to make adjustments to how you cool your dogs.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
First of all let me say how sorry I am ......what a horrible shock for you.
But just be carefull , just because your other dog did ok this time and previous other times , does not mean she always will. Get some battery operated fans, and do what others said about drying and cooling before putting back in the box. If you put a wet dog in a box with no air flow it turns into a sauna. Put the fans on the gates on high , get them some moving air in there.....
So sad.....I am sorry

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Mike, I am from coastal SC and what has happened to your dog was a constant fear all the years we were there. You have my heartfelt sympathy and understanding. Take action on all the advice you have received here to keep it from happening again. Uninsulated+no fan+wet dog+mid-day 98*=the sorrow you are going through. We can't protect them from everything but we can learn to improve the odds . I hope your heart heels quickly.

·
Registered
946 Posts
One other thing you can do is place a temp/humidity sensor in the kennel (make sure your dog won't eat it) with a remote display in the cab of the truck. You can use indoor/outdoor type thermometers that are under $25.
I am sorry for your loss

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Travel In NV, AZ and CA all the time, We attempt to travel only at night but in AZ that can still be well over 100F. If we only have a couple of dogs they travel in the cab, my buddy bought and attachment that directs AC into his two front boxes, and closes off the rest of the truck. If we have to take many dogs they travel in the kennels, We have insulated forced air kennel, with fans and a temperature monitor in the back, that can be view from the drivers seat. On the really bad trips we will stop and buy everyone a bag of ice, break it open and throw it in with the each dog, they actually enjoy it, a lot of entertainment value in Ice. Brought the kennels down to 68F and kept it cool the entire trip, when it was 115+ outside. Of course ours is a dry heat, I'd hazard to think what you do with heat and humidity. Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Mesh, reflective blankets work well to reflect heat off trucks and kennels. You can find them at cleanrun.com. Ryobi also makes nice fans that run off 18v drill batteries. They move lots of air, and are rechargeable so you don't have to constantly buy batteries. I hang mine right on my varikennel door. Again, sorry for your loss.

Neil

G

·
I wouldn't put them in those boxes during the summer that is way to hot. Ours ride on the back seat of my pickup. I'm sorry you lost him the heat is nothing to mess around with I have three friends that have lost their dogs to it.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Some things I do in hot weather...

Always park in the shade or make my own shade with a tent or tarp.

Use the fan on slide in and keep breezeway open on the trailer (the Endless Breeze fan is the best portable fan I've owned. Use one for each hole).

Keep an eye on the dog when in the field. Although I want the dog to put on a good hunt and dig out the bird, it doesn't take long on a hot day in tall grass to over do it. I make the birds easier to find, handle the dog, or have the gunner help to avoid the long hunt.

Always have a small pool with water and ice for the dogs to cool down after running.

Always stake the dog out (In a safe place marked off so no accidents) after running to allow time to further cool down and relax before putting them up (I do this regardless of temp).

Always dry the dog before putting back in the kennel (I do this regardless of temp).

Always put a bag of ice in with each dog when it is very hot. Especially helpful for the 1+ hour ride home.

Treat hot pond water with the same respect as cold. No long swims when the water is very warm. We go back to short swim, up and outs just like we do in the winter.

AJ in Pool.jpg

Edit: Don't know if you saw this sticky: http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?15228-Cooling-back-by-demand

G

·
Here in AZ we don't go out doesn't matter if you go am or pm to deadly especially now that it's humid. Maybe it's just me. But I think 98 degrees is way to out for a dog to train in or sit in a cage. I don't think it matters if they are outside dogs or not the dogs we know that have died were all in fantastic shape and used to the heat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts