Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do none of the above with my retrievers

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, making friends every day.

Just curious as to what this crowd does with their dawgs. Thought it would be an interesting poll.

If you post a reply you might expand on your answers: like what is more important to you personally, hunting or the games; Which do you enjoy more, a day in the field training, a weekend at a game or a day spent in the duck marsh inviting green heads down for dinner?

Curious minds want to know. :multi:

Ron

p.s. Lisa, it's a small world. We could have been neighbors. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hunting is my husband's passion. I like to play the dog games!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I keep the dogs in shape training and playing the games. Hubby takes them to bring home the birds.

--Lisa
Who will run a test in the cold wind and rain, but won't sit in a blind for the ducks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ron,
I didn't see the part about letting them roam my house, sleep on my bed, steal food off the counter and share time on the computer with me!! Someday, we'll find time to train again!!

Keep making friends with these guys, most of them are ok, except Shayne, and he just ain't right.

See you Saturday at the clinic!!

Take care,
Kurt

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I hunt; mostly pheasant though I used to do a lot of duck hunting. However, having a retriever is the main reason I hunt rather than the reverse. In times when I haven't had a dog, I didn't do much hunting.
I enjoy training and testing at least as much as hunting.
JS

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Hunting has always been my passion, way before the 'games' came to my attention. Early on it was trials, then hunt tests, which provide me and the dogs with hunting year around. We run them all, just for the variety.

UB

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
...and obedience trials, conformation showing, tracking tests, working tests, etc., etc. , etc.

Seems I just can't get enough of dog training and competing.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
We hunt the dogs because they love it.

We hunt test the dogs because they love it and I need more ribbons to cover the ugly wallpaper in the living room. :wink:

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I started testing first & then hunting to see if she deserved the titles. The first year I duck hunted with friends because I really didn't know what spots to go to & didn't own any equipment-I even borrowed a shotgun! The next year I duck hunted alone-which I actually enjoyed more. I like the quiet & watching the sun come up. Didn't get birds every day, but always knew they were Kate's when I did! I've upland hunted both planted & wild birds. I think I enjoy that the most & she loves it!

However- I LOVE hunt tests!!! Could spend every weekend at one.

M

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I started off hunting. I got a dog to help and be a pet. I got started in retriever games to get the dog to an acceptable level. Now the trial game is more important than hunting. Whatever need hunting filled in me is satisfied by field trialing. Now, I don't hunt as much as I did before I had a hunting dog. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
We hunt test the dogs because they love it and I need more ribbons to cover the ugly wallpaper in the living room.
I like this concept!

Wife: I want to re-decorate the living room.

Husband: Ok, I'll get to work on it. But I need another pup and some more training stuff to be more efficient. 8)

End GDG - Back on topic

I really like to hunt and do it as much as I can, which isn't that much anymore. My work schedule usually gets very busy during hunting season. So, I love good dog work, and I love to train. And I enjoy running hunt tests to really see where I am at in my training and to give me some specific objectives to train for.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I love hunting. I started in the hunt tests when we bought our second pup, to replace our retired hunting dog, and watched her sire run in a NAHRA test. It looked fun and gave me a way to judge our training progress. I still love hunting the most, but the tests help keep me training and striving to get better, as well as keeping the dog in shape. Besides she loves it all!!!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Ive hunted since I was 12, and have always had a retriever with me. I was always a little enviouse of the guys who did Hunt tests and Trials, and never had the confidence to try.

I or should say "WE" have only been able to get titles at the most basic levels, but have enjoyed it immensly, and have met great people along the way!!

One of the most intimidating things about this board is the lack of a spell checker!!! :lol:

Gooser

·
Registered
553 Posts

FIELD TRIALS........FIELD TRIALS.....FIELD TRIALS!!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I seem to be in the minority here, having only hunted with my retriever to date. However, I do strive toward the HT standards in my training, though not necessarily successfully mind you. I figure it can only provide that much better of a hunting dog, even if I never work up the nerve to try a HT. Plus, I just enjoy the training, and watching the progress (OK, some days are more rewarding than others).

I frequent this forum for the same reasons I guess car companies sponsor racing teams; to take advantage of learnings that come out of competition.

·
Registered
218 Posts
FIELD TRIAL only now.

Got a lab to hunt over while living out in Utah. Breeder was involved with FTs and introduced us to the game. Did both hunting and FT for 8 years.

Moved back home to Missouri where business took precedence over both hunting and trialing.

Over the years, just the idea of hunting in the lost its appeal for our aging bodies, but we never lost our desire to get back into FTs.

So that is the only thing we train and use Winnie for now.

Debbie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Currently, my dogs are used for toy control, they keep the amount of toys on the floor in check. I always find toy animals with their arms and heads chewed off, "Oh lost another one, oops". Hope mom doesn't find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a "None of the above" officially. I train for hunt tests though (and obedience, and agility, and tracking, and conformation...) but so far haven't competed in anything but working tests and conformation.

Tracy
(Kona WD and Caiman WC)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts