RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an ad for some pups on another board that went something like this " 8 pups for sale dam is grandaughter of FC-AFC blah blah blas x GMHR yackety schmackety, sire needs one more pass for JH"

I am fairly new to the breeding side of things but I have two questions.

1)Does anybody really give a $#@%^ what a dogs grandparents did if there is not proof of success with the dog or the dogs parents!!

2)Would you use a male that hasn't even gotten there JH and obviously isn't proven. To me you are breeding a dog that

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see ads that say something like "pup is littermate to another pup that bred to Lean Macs third cousin whos grandparent on her mothers side was an AFC.

Am I way off base here?

·
Registered
16,992 Posts
dogs

Dude, you are right on! The Dam is the most important of the two. She needs to be sound and well bred. Stud is also important. He should be titled and proven in throwing good traits. As well as all health clearences.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
You know, there are two sides to this "coin"....it really depends....

I think it IS important to have some sort of "record" of performance and some sort of "record" of offspring and what has been produced.

However, what happens if it is "Dog A" 's first litter? How's he/she supposed to be a "proven" producer if they have never been bred? Gotta start someplace.

Also, take this dog "Doc's Riley Rascal"....never had any derby pts (to my knowledge) but has sired TWO Nat'l Champs.....now when it came time to breed him the first time there was not much there are far as titles and surely no one ever figured he'd sire a Nat'l Champ or two.

Now while I would most likely not be interested in a litter like that, some people might. One, price is probably on the low end and two, perhaps some people KNOW the parents.

I have bred untitled dogs before PLUS I have bred TO untitled dogs. The title is NO guarantee that a dog will produce. Many many titled dogs have never really produced much.

Does it matter who the grandparents are? Yes it does to me. But I think with anything, any one of these points are just part of the picture.

WRL

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It's like Lee says, you have to look at the whole picture. Hey, it's still better than "ain't got no talent" bred to "ain't got no brains", which many people with pet Labs call "breeding". AKA, if it has papers, let's breed it!

What do I personally do when looking for a pup?

Consult the tarot.

Throw the chicken bones.

Read tea leaves.

Roll the dice.

And pray. Pedigree gets you from conception to birth. The breeder gets you from birth to seven weeks. The rest is up to you. 90% of luck is hard work.

Lisa

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lisa Van Loo said:
What do I personally do when looking for a pup?

Consult the tarot.

Throw the chicken bones.

Read tea leaves.

Roll the dice.

And pray. Pedigree gets you from conception to birth. The breeder gets you from birth to seven weeks. The rest is up to you. 90% of luck is hard work.

Lisa
Lisa where do you come up with these things? LMAO. My favorite is take my seven year old to pick the pup!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: dogs

Booty said:
Stud is also important. He should be titled and proven in throwing good traits.
This is kind of like the young fellow looking for work and everyone wants "experienced help".

If the only breeding worth doing was with a stud that was proven in throwing good traits there sure wouldn't be much breeding being done now would there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Why look at grandparents? A lot of people here say look at the grandparents rather than the sire and dam to see what you are going to get - I have found there to be a lot of validity to that viewpoint - again and again a pup takes after one of other of its grandparents - what do the geneticists say about this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts