2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new pup coming soon and came up with this name
Firestorms Kona with Lime call name "Salt"
What do you think?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Salt seems pretty close to "Sit". Personally, I'd stray from any name that could be misunderstood or misinterpreted for a command.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salt seems pretty close to "Sit". Personally, I'd stray from any name that could be misunderstood or misinterpreted for a command.
Thought of that but tried on my others and no confusion. Also not any worse than the Drake name if someone hunts and a Drake comes in and says Drake, it could release the dog named Drake.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Let's say you do your drinks on the dangerous side, instead of Salt you use... Salt Peter...

Or "Sodium Nitrate"

Or call sign "Nitro"....

Live dangerous~! :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thought of that but tried on my others and no confusion. Also not any worse than the Drake name if someone hunts and a Drake comes in and says Drake, it could release the dog named Drake.
Great reason not to name a dog Drake (or Rooster). ;)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
my immediate reaction was that "salt" sounds too close to "sit", too.

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
Have a new pup coming soon and came up with this name
Firestorms Kona with Lime call name "Salt"
What do you think?
If that has significance to you it is very cool!

How about "Salty" for a call name.
Not too long and wouldn't be confused with a command.

RK

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let's say you do your drinks on the dangerous side, instead of Salt you use... Salt Peter...

Or "Sodium Nitrate"

Or call sign "Nitro"....

Live dangerous~! :)
Sodium Nitrate is bad for ya. Nitro= Male.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I can train to leave chickens alone but still tear up on game birds I don't think there will be concussion.
Besides "tweet" sounds nothing like salt. LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts

I have a dog named drake when a drake or any duck for that matter comes in we yell Kill em :p. I think if we tried to say something longer than that like oh theres a drake mallard, it be gone!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm a big fan of two syllable names that end in a vowel sound. You can hang that "y" sound out there when you are praising the critter and get lots of waggin'. Salty works.

I wouldn't worry about "Salt" and "sit" being confused. "Sassy" and "Sit" didn't perplex the new pup at all. The vowel sound is different enough not to be a problem. I know that some trainers really emphasized the "S" sound on the "SSSSSit" but we didn't...all is well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Being a Chef I think "Salt" a great name . Its one ingredient you really can't do without . I'm sure thats how you feel about the dog .

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
It's your dog. Call him what you like.;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts