RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've posted before, my spayed FBL has skin allergies...it's not usually too bad, but for the last few weeks she's been going a little crazy on her "female equipment." Last year, the vet told me last year to clean her once or twice daily with those moistened baby wipes and to use a diaper rash cream like Desitin or Boudreaux's Butt Paste on her. Right now, there isn't any major inflammation or irritated-looking area around it (although sometimes there is), but she'll literally jump up from a sound sleep and lick like crazy...not to mention the "front wheel drive," scooting across the floor routine.

I'm tempted to use one of the human anti-itch creams like Lanacane or even something with hydrocotisone, but can those or similar products do any harm if she licks them off?

Anyone else have similar problems with their dogs? What do you use?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Have you had her checked to see if it is a yeast infection, or something other than allergies? I don't think you should have to clean a healthy dog every day...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I just talked to a gentleman at a hunt test this weekend. He had his dog treated by a vet for about a year with allergy shots and other things for it skin itching and ear problems. He went to another vet on advice from a friend and the other vet immediately recognized it as a fungal problem. The vet actually pegged it while he was opening the door for the man and his dog. So he useds some topical and pill form anti-fungals. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pupaloo and MRGD: thanks for your responses. I think maybe next week a visit to the vet is in order, but in the meantime, do you know anything about the safety of using the human anti-itch creams like Lanacane or even something with hydrocotisone? Can those or similar products do any harm if she licks them off?

Also, it appears that she's chewing even more around her butt than around the "other equipment." Her anal glands were emptied on a couple or three weeks ago by the vet, who said they were pretty much empty. She (my FBL...not the vet!) is chewing and licking at the side of the base of her tail, as well as the licking in the vaginal area.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I wouldn't put any steroid cream on her until the vet has a look. Try giving her a benadryl capsule, and see if that stops the itching.

Has she been wormed? Do you use a flea treatment of any kind?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts