RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the judges that set-up and judged this so this is not judge bashing or anything like that.

After the test an area Pro gave me his opinion on what the dog really sees or knows. I really respect the guy that told me this but not sure I buy into just yet.

A mark is thrown at 70 yds. It falls from open sky in front of some cattails with a big splash. IF the bird falling into the cattail backdrop (not actually into the cattails) causes the dog to think the bird may be in the cattails does the BIG SPLASH tell the dog that the bird is in the water in front of the cattails? Does that make sence? I believe it does, he believes dogs don't think like that.

What do you think?

I can give more details if that is confusing.

G

·
of course the splash tells the dog its in the water.
try shooting a duck and have it land on dry land then sluice the water and see where the dog hunts.
it happened to an NFC just a week ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
splash = water = dog goes to water = finds bird

does think - sometimes they 'over think'
a dog NOT paying attention = not knowing splash = water

my stupid humble opinion :oops:

but hey, what do I know...I trained German Shepards
growing up - I had one that could tell color!!
I'd throw 10 balls in the water and tell him to get
the red one...and he'd get the red one! ((no lie!))
but, then again - he was a smarty!!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Was the water also into the cattails? In other words, could the bird have made a splash while landing IN the cats?

I think where the question comes up concerning what the dog "sees", is it is a change of horizon, which causes a depth perception problem...especially for younger less experienced dogs, or hard charging dogs that are used to not slowing until they've gone a 100 yards or more.

Not sure what your test illustrated, Ken, but I would expect some dogs to go deeper into the cats, thinking they saw it land in there. But then if they stayed in the AOF, they would perservere and hunt it up, which is what I'd want to see in a finished dog.

Lots of dogs in multiple marking situations, swing away from seeing the bird to the first horizon, thinking they have that marked, and start looking for another bird to watch fall. It's a good test for a hunting dog, and one for the handler to learn to stay (keeping his barrel pointing at the bird) with the fall all the way to the water, giving the dog a better mark.

Only way we could crank up the bus here Ken, :roll: is if you threw the next bird too suddenly, so the handler and the dog didn't have time to mark it to the water. But I'm sure you were a better apprentice than that. :wink:

UB

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, it was only a double and a blind!!!!

What we had was a test where the bird was thrown left to right high and falling in front of the cattails. The GO bird thrown from the right side into the dog in open water.

What A LOT of dogs did was run the shore on the memory bird and run around behind the cattails. Some dogs stayed behind the cattails, some went deep and were handled quickly back into the area of fall, some got to the cattails and cut directly into the water.

It was a tough situation, due to heavy rain we had to change our setup day test for this because little channel to cross turned into a BIG deep channel to cross. With that the birds did not float well, which of course helped nothing, but it happens.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
GREAT MARKING TEST!!

No different than the top of a distant hilltop, but the bird falls at the base.
It will show the truly good markers!
I have seen this type of mark at Many a test.-- HRC and AKC!
I Think the splash is a pure gimme! :lol: :lol:

many times mark is thrown in the second section of water where the dog has a water ,,land,, water mark. Dog sees the splash on near the bank of the second water, but has to cross a small section of land to get to it.
many dogs will beach and hunt the shore, but will inevitable get back in the the first section of water, and get lost!

Good test Ken!!

JMHDAO!!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Moosegoosee said:
splash = water = dog goes to water = finds bird

does think - sometimes they 'over think'
a dog NOT paying attention = not knowing splash = water

my stupid humble opinion :oops:

but hey, what do I know...I trained German Shepards
growing up - I had one that could tell color!!
I'd throw 10 balls in the water and tell him to get
the red one...and he'd get the red one! ((no lie!))
but, then again - he was a smarty!!
I know an even better one than that. The sire of our first lab could read. His owner, our friend received two newspapers every day. The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer and the Atlanta Journal. He would let the dog out of the back yard and tell him, go get the Ledger...and sure enough the dog came back with the Ledger and then he'd say go get the Journal....and that smart dog would get the Journal. Now that is a smart dog! :wink:

The trick to this is that the Journal was a lot bigger/heavier and the news paper guy never threw it as far into the drive way. :roll: but it sure looked like that dog could read!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts