RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about a year into the game or life of retriever training and hunt test. So i was looking for a little history lesson on some great dogs of the sport of retrieving! The greatest dogs ever in the retriever world! Since there could never be just one grestest ever i feel like a Mt. Rushmore of the greatest retrievers in RTF's opinion would be fun!? Rules are you can not name one of your own dogs because everyone is just a little bias to their own! Plus the greatest dog ever is your own dog! Also there can be many things to consider like field trial, hunt test, hunting dogs, any generation, offspring etc. etc. Really anything can be considered. I am just curious what names will reappear? I know a mt. Rushmore is not enough spots for all the great dogs but who cares it will get some names out there! Anyone have any ideas for this mt. Rushmore/history lesson?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'd say 2x NAFC 3x CNFC CAFC FC River Oak's Corky (sorry don't know exact order all of the titles go in) and 2x NAFC 2x CNAFC FC CFC Ebonstar Lean Mac would both make that list for sure. Corky holds the record for most AA points (I believe) and Lean Mac, well, he doesn't really need an explaination :cool: You could probably add Auggie to the list as well (FC AFC Creek Robber)

·
Registered
4 Posts
CH AFC Jon-Lee's Spring Valley Atari WXC. The first American AFC Flat-Coated Retriever; he was also a bench champion with group placements. He qualified for and ran seven of ten series in the 1987 National Amateur. BIG dog in a little breed.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
There's only four faces on Mt. Rushmore.

If they were Retrievers, I'd vote that they be Corky, Soupy, Honcho, and Maxx.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know ill be the minority on this one but ............... CH Poplar Forest Play It Again Sam, UD, RE, MH, MHU

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
If you look at the logo of the National Retriever Club is has three retriever heads..I am fairly sure it was to represent Labrador, the Chesapeake and the Golden...no "Mt Rushmore" of retrievers would be complete unless all three breeds were represented

Labrador- 2xNAFC 3xCNFC FC River Oaks Corky or NFC NAFC 2xCNFC Wanapum Dart's Dandy

Golden- NAFC FC Topbrass Cotton

Chesapeake- Dual Ch AFC CFC Baron's Tule Tiger

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Could Rushmore improve with age ?As in bigger and better ....Drawing from previous comments , Go with Bon's Golden and Chessie choices .. They would be flanked by Lottie, Lean Mac , Soupy and Tanker.......

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Just because the heads on the mountain are all male, does it mean the dogs have to be? My vote for Chessie is Yakity. I believe she may have done more for the breed!
DC, AFC, MH and dam of many more!

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Could Rushmore improve with age ?As in bigger and better ....Drawing from previous comments , Go with Bon's Golden and Chessie choices .. They would be flanked by Lottie, Lean Mac , Soupy and Tanker.......
Without Honcho there would be no Super Tanker, Cody, Lottie and many many others.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
While Yakity is a current DC it will be hard for her to have the impact or record of either Tiger or Clipper. I would say Clipper, DC AFC Coots Gypsy Clipper MH would be the chessie.

Tom

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Just because the heads on the mountain are all male, does it mean the dogs have to be? My vote for Chessie is Yakity. I believe she may have done more for the breed!
DC, AFC, MH and dam of many more!
That's why I put Dandy as one of my choices too ....She deserves to be in the conversation

As for Chessies, I know virtually nothing about their history, I did however remember reading about Ms Heller and Tiger when they were inducted to the RHOF, hence my selection

http://www.theretrievernews.com/Library/HallofFameDogs/BaronsTuleTiger92

1 - 17 of 17 Posts