RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new collar and was just wondering what you guys like and why? Own a Tri-tronics that is dead, been using a Dogtra 3500 Super-X but it needs to go back to owner.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I have always used Tritronics. I like the tublar style. You can hold heeling stick and transmitter in the same hand with a little practice. I eventually worked my way up to Pro 500. I went thru several versions of Classis 70 then Flyway Special and now 500. I highly recommend the 500. Although I trained lots of dogs with the Classic 70. As I got more accomplished I moved up so that I could have choices of momentary and continous.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Any of the tube-style tritronics. I prefer the Pro500, but the Flyway is a better deal.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
go to this web site http://www.collarclinic.com/
trade in your non-working for a re-built tri-tronics tube style 500
it will work. Collar Clinic is great. And they back the stuff they fix and ship fast.
I recomend!!!
That's excellent advice; Both on the collar (Pro 500 TT), and on Collar Clinic. Ergonomics mean a great deal on e-collars, and there is no match for TT tube style transmitters. As GC said, for many trainers the Flyway is plenty of bang for the buck. If your budget will handle it, the 500 is worth every penny.

Evan

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
How do you like the Dogtra? Since you have been using it, it might be the ticket. Personally, I am so used to the TT tube style my fingers always know where all the buttons are. Dogtra makes a fine collar but there would be a learning curve for me to switch--and I am a slow learner. But may not be so for you.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
How do you like the Dogtra? Since you have been using it, it might be the ticket. Personally, I am so used to the TT tube style my fingers always know where all the buttons are. Dogtra makes a fine collar but there would be a learning curve for me to switch--and I am a slow learner. But may not be so for you.
You have identified one of the greatest ergonomic strengths an e-collar transmitter can have. When you're working with it that smoothly, you can focus on the dog, rather than constantly staring at an LCD to know what you're doing and how! THAT'S IT!

Evan

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
You have identified one of the greatest ergonomic strengths an e-collar transmitter can have. When you're working with it that smoothly, you can focus on the dog, rather than constantly staring at an LCD to know what you're doing and how! THAT'S IT!

Evan
I agree totally.

One more thing: the ability to already have the TT Pro/Flyway Tube-style transmitter on a dial setting still gives you instantaneous flexibility to adjust the correction. Low, Medium, or High, all by how you configure the stimulation. To my mind, this is huge.

I run three dogs simulataneously every single day that I'm in town. One dog is much more sensitive than the others. I can easily toggle to the receiver (dog) I want, and tap the appropriate button if needed...all in a flash. No looking down. I can do it in the dark and frequently do - with each dog wearing a glow collar (so I know which dog is which and can see them all)

Actually, I run 4 dogs but one is still young and is not yet ready to be collar conditioned. This really bums me out as I'm probably going to have to carry 2 transmitters to run all 4 at once.... Believe it or not, I'm wishing I had a flyway or Pro 500 that can run 4 collars!

Chris

·
Registered
12,476 Posts

If the tritronics fellers ever read RTF threads they should take note. And maybe the “Very Brand New” offering would be old school tube style, buttons in the old spots collar pro 500 with a 4 or even 6 dog option. I bet it would sell. Call it the RTF’er.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
They read RTF, Ken. I promise...and they listen!

Evan

·
Registered
605 Posts

If the tritronics fellers ever read RTF threads they should take note. And maybe the “Very Brand New” offering would be old school tube style, buttons in the old spots collar pro 500 with a 4 or even 6 dog option. I bet it would sell. Call it the RTF’er.
They might surmise that RFT means Reach For TriTronics ;-)

Or maybe, Retired Flatulent Trainers :razz:

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you like the Dogtra you have been using then stick with it. In my opinion it is "hotter" than the Pro 500. The range and consistency of both are comparable, but, the Dogtra is significantly less money. The Dogtra IS NOT the "radio shack" version of an e-collar as someone mentioned in another thread. It's ergonomics are extremely user friendly to me and have been since i started using one 7 years ago. As a matter of fact, the TT feels awkward and I cant keep track of which button configuration gives me what level of correction. But, the icing on the cake for me is hunting. Dogtra is waterproof and MUCH smaller than the tube style transmitters. It fits easily in any pocket or hangs around the neck from a lanyard. Both are quality collars and you will hear great debate from both sides on which is better. In the end it comes down to personal preference and budget. No matter which route you go buy the absolute best collar you can AFFORD. It does not pay to cut corners when it comes to e-collars.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It does not pay to cut corners when it comes to e-collars.

+10

·
Registered
946 Posts

Evan
The greatest advantage of the Dogtra is that you don't have to look at the LCD screen. herre is how you do things with a Dogtra turn on collar and transmitter,set initial level for dog this is the only time you should look at the LCD screen, as working dog if you need to ajust the correction level simply turn the dial You can even do this while using the buttons and while holding a heeling stick in the same hand and a leash in the other hand. I have never seen a person change the level on a tritronics with one hand like you can on a dogtra. Trainers should not be worried about numbers while training a dog but instead watching the dogs reactions and actions and adjusting accordingly. I wouldn't trust a trainer who kept looking at either a tritronics dial or a dogtra screen or dial WHILE training a dog. If there is a problem both the tritronics people and the dogtra people might well look at the dial or screen to see both the level and to make sure the transmitter is on/charged.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The greatest advantage of the Dogtra is that you don't have to look at the LCD screen. herre is how you do things with a Dogtra turn on collar and transmitter,set initial level for dog this is the only time you should look at the LCD screen, as working dog if you need to ajust the correction level simply turn the dial You can even do this while using the buttons and while holding a heeling stick in the same hand and a leash in the other hand. I have never seen a person change the level on a tritronics with one hand like you can on a dogtra. Trainers should not be worried about numbers while training a dog but instead watching the dogs reactions and actions and adjusting accordingly. I wouldn't trust a trainer who kept looking at either a tritronics dial or a dogtra screen or dial WHILE training a dog. If there is a problem both the tritronics people and the dogtra people might well look at the dial or screen to see both the level and to make sure the transmitter is on/charged.
EXACTLY!! This is how I TRY to explain to folks how I work the collar.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
I've never handled a Dogtra so I don't know. When you twist the dial without looking at it, do you get audible clicks or a tactile notch click that you can feel?

My preference is to not have to turn any dials while running a dog....to my mind, that has more room for error than necessary.

With the TT, you have two buttons on the transmitter. The bottom only is low. The top only is medium. Both simultaneously is high.

This is my preference and is what I'm used to. I have the transmitter gripped in one hand and it is quick and automatic. I am not coordinated enough to turn a dial while holding a transmitter one-handed and then push a button in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've never handled a Dogtra so I don't know. When you twist the dial without looking at it, do you get audible clicks or a tactile notch click that you can feel?

My preference is to not have to turn any dials while running a dog....to my mind, that has more room for error than necessary.

With the TT, you have two buttons on the transmitter. The bottom only is low. The top only is medium. Both simultaneously is high.

This is my preference and is what I'm used to. I have the transmitter gripped in one hand and it is quick and automatic. I am not coordinated enough to turn a dial while holding a transmitter one-handed and then push a button in a timely fashion.
As with any piece of training equipment, it takes some getting used too. I'm not coordinated enough to remember which button is what level!!! With the Dogtra there is one button for me to worry with. ( I do not use the momentary/"nick" button. If I need a "nick" I simply press and release the continous button.) There are no "audible" clicks on the dial, however like Kelly, I do not worry myself with what setting the collar is on, rather what the dogs reaction to the stimulus is. If i'm not mistaken the new "Edge" products give the user the option of either a rheostat dial with no audible clicks or a dial much like the TT with audible clicks. Again though, it goes back to personal preference and what each individual user is comfortable with. I'll not "knock" TT's pro series collars as many, many use and swear by them and in my experience they are a quality product. But, when I look at price, size, "waterproofness", customer service, quality, and ease/simplicity of use I personally choose Dogtra and I urge my clients and friends to do the same.

·
Registered
946 Posts
No Chris no notches or clicks to feel why would you want any? Think of it like this, dogtra is like a dimmer switch on a lightbulb you just adjust it to the level you want or need, Tritronics is a three way lightbulb, low, medium and high. With the dogtra you just turn dial till you reach the right illumination, with the tritronics you pick the closest level to the one you want. Problem with the tritronics is that the 2 high was usually the perfect normal correction and 3 low a bit to hot, so if a higher correction was needed I was always having to use two hands to turn the dial up to three. I didn't have to look at it but it was always a hindrance. Sucks having a tweener dog with a tritronics, there is no tweener dog with a dogtra. there is only one adjustment with a dogtra the dial with a tritronics there are two things to change which button or combo of buttons and the dial to change.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sucks having a tweener dog with a tritronics, there is no tweener dog with a dogtra.
I guess it would if you had one where a low was too hot. Perhaps my dogs have never been that nuanced, but I am always at a level where a low or medium is just the ticket for a run of the mill correction but the medium high is there with one finger if I need it.

I guess it is just what you are used to. I know many folks including A list pros who use Dogtra and are quite happy and far more capable with the collar than I am regardless. I would use a Dogtra with no reservations if I was not so comfortable with TT and if Garmin messes it up, I may have to switch but I really like the buttons being where they always have been since the collar had an antenna on it.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Obviously there are fans of Dogtra as well as TT. But from my perspective, I not only want the ability to jump a level - and to know exactly what that level is in the moment - without looking at the transmitter. You can guess with a Dogtra, and without looking at the LCD that's what you're doing. If guessing is okay with you, that's fine. It just isn't with me.

I field tested a 3500 for them when they first came out. I told them I would give it a thorough test. I used it daily for 7 months. I put my other collars away, and only relied on the Dogtra so as to give it a fair run. I agreed to give them an honest assessment, and I did.

I found the 3500 to be all it was advertised to be. A high quality, very reliable e-collar. It's compact and waterproof. All its features work as claimed, and battery life was very good, as was reliability at any practical distance. It's still my favorite to hunt with.

Being demanding of myself as a trainer, it's simply not good enough to guess I'm in the neighborhood of having my e-collar set correctly for any specific occasion. Not all crimes are equal, not all dogs are equal, and each moment is specific unto itself. I have a dog that usually works with the Pro 500 set on 2, and medium or high is ample. But, while sensitive, he's driven like crazy. Once in a while a close poison bird changes things, and he has needed to go as high as medium 5 in a critical moment. Easy-peasy on the Pro 500. It's at my fingertips with no need to look to see if I have what i want in that moment. I absolutely could not say that with the Dogtra.

I also like my products made in the USA, and TT is. Dogtra is not. That doesn't matter as much to some as others. But it matters to me. To each his/her own. I have no connection with TT other than as a customer, and receive no money from them. I endorse them for one reason; I believe in them.

Evan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts