RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what advantag of belonging to either . after a couple of years of low hunt test entrys and just breaking even why belong to either. you work your a-- of all weekend worry about how many entrys you will have and at the end the only ones makeing money are the bird boys bird suppliers and every one else but the club. it seems to me you would be better off to continue to train to gather have parties and then run which ever venue you care to. we have private grounds to train on and can go when ever. we are a small club and all getting older i'm just not sure it's worth the problems. thanks for the chance to vent

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Does not sound like much of an advantage to your club. Ours usually makes a few dollars to keep the club floating and able to have Christmas parties and training day,. We use to supply flyers for each training day until it too hard to find local birds.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
i was wondering what advantag of belonging to either . after a couple of years of low hunt test entrys and just breaking even why belong to either. you work your a-- of all weekend worry about how many entrys you will have and at the end the only ones makeing money are the bird boys bird suppliers and every one else but the club. it seems to me you would be better off to continue to train to gather have parties and then run which ever venue you care to. we have private grounds to train on and can go when ever. we are a small club and all getting older i'm just not sure it's worth the problems. thanks for the chance to vent
Our club is going through the same thing right now - essentially the older members are hanging up their hats, can't blame them, they've earned it, but there aren't going to be enough ACTIVE members left to pull off a HT and FT next year. We do manage to get enough members to show up and work the HT, the FT is a little tougher due to distance, but we lack the membership to do all the things that need to be done prior to the actual weekend HT/FT. As a club we have a few decisions to make...unfortunately it may mean we put our HT/FT on hold. :( I totally understand your sentiment.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are a bunch of clubs in the same position. It is easier to not put forth the work and host an event. If all of the clubs that are struggling stopped hosting events there wouldn't be any to run. It is hard to keep at it but it makes me enjoy the other clubs events even more.

Russell

·
Registered
392 Posts
One of things we have been doing recently at the Down East Hunting Retriever club is having a youth event after our hunt test. We let any kid that wants to run a dog and pick up marks. All the kids receive a plaque. We even furnish dogs for the kids to run if they don't have one suitable. It has turned out to be a hoot and some people have attended our hunt test just for the kids to be able to participate in our youth event. We also furnish a barbeque tailgate party to all after our event. This has helped to keep our entries up and has also resulted in increased membership. Just a thought for you clubs that are not doing so well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I understand your position as we are a small HRC club and at membership time we lost a number of members. However through word of mouth and a great local breeder we have managed to make those members up. I am not sure everyone knows the total effort that goes into putting on an event but if all clubs decided they were not going to host a hunt or trial then there won't be any venues to run your dogs after all the hard training you have done. You mentioned that you have private grounds to train on. What does your club do to help the property owner maintain these grounds. Do you pay the property owner?This coming week we are hosting a 4 day field trial for a small club. In order for this to happen we will spend 4 days getting the hay cut, brush hogging around the ponds and another field, spend $200 to have a crew do the trimming and whipper snipping, my husband has just gone to town to pick up a new walk behind mower (Father's Day).We do this because we want to give back to these small clubs and keep them going. People have been stepping up to offer help where ever needed. In the end the property will be in great shape to continue training over the course of the season. If you decide to fold your club I hope that your members will find the closest club to you and offer to help with their event.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as far as helping the owner we pay him a small fee but not much also he knows he can call when ever but he is more of a friend and a couple of guys work for him part time. we do let the kids that want to run dogs do it when we have a jr handeler event after the test they all get ribbons so the have fun. but that got me thinking the next time we have a hunt test we might advertise it and see if we can get more people out to see what it's all about. we just changed our hunt test location and it's not as good as the other location so we will try to move back. the grounds aren't where we train those grounds are not big enough for a hunt test it's great for training

·
Registered
946 Posts
HRC has been very supportive of our club. They supplied us with two judges free of charge for our first weekend of hunts, they loaned us $500 interest free for 2 years, they waived their fees for our premier test, they provided us with hundreds of dollars of free raffle items, Purina supplied thru HRC 240 bags of dog food to give away. They came down and gave a free judges/handlers seminar. HRC helped us find great and inexpensive judges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts