RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What is the ?primary? reason that you train retrievers

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is RTF, Retriever Training Forum, the operative word being training. So I assume we all train, at least for the most part, our retrievers. I expect our needs, reasons and goals may differ slightly. What is the ?primary? reason that you train retrievers.

Joe Miano

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Both - kinda

Casey is mainly my huntin buddy, but I also run him in HT because he loves it (he gets to 'hunt' almost year around that way), wife and I have lots of fun, and it's a great way to see where your training has weak points. Get to meet a lot of fine people.

So, mainly he's my gun dog, but HT are a big help in getting him there.

·
Registered
932 Posts
For me,there is a great deal of satifaction that comes from taking a puppy through the learning process of training to become a reliable companion for any venue, whether it be my own personal dawg or Joe Average's dawg.

Nazdrowie............... :drinking:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lisa Van Loo said:
You don't have "therapy" as one of the choices!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa
I guess with some it may be therapy, but with others it is a constant "stress test" :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Because SHE can do it?

How about because I owe it to her?

Started off as a hunting dawg, but the more I learned about this whole training process and what these creatures are capable of, I figured I'd give it a try....now we're hooked

I found she has so much potential, more than I had ever imagined....and I really believe now that I am her limiting factor as a trainer.....

I've also noticed that when we don't train for awhile, she is a different dog at home...bored and always into some kind of mischief...she really NEEDS to keep learning and working....when we regularly train, she is so much more content and happy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! I am not sure that there is 1 reason.

I choose "OTHER"

I train because:

It gets me out of the house
I have too much time on my hands
My mother in-law lives with us
My boss thinks I work to hard at work
My wife thinks I spend too much time, just sitting and talking with her

:roll: :roll: :wink:

ACTUALLY!

Man, I just love coming home and seeing those dogs of mine, wagging their tails and knowing that they want to more then I do.

I love teaching them.
I love working out problems with them
I love to watch them think (and hate it when they dont :) )
I love knowing that when hunting season comes around there isn't much we are not ready for.

and someday, I will LOVE to compete!

HTs are great, although filled with too much tricky at times.

and I LOVE the people you meet!

Mike

·
Registered
849 Posts
Being out training with the dogs is for me the best part of the whole deal. I got back into training because I wanted a better performance out of my duck dawgs, but in short order the hunting and testing became secondary to just being out training.

tom

·
Registered
146 Posts
I truly enjoy training, my dogs, and my training group. I have had retrievers since 1974.. I got Free's book and it talked me into buying the best breeding I could find. Now that I am retired, I train virtually every day... I like to think I am getting better at it.. that I am learing to train instead of constantly test. I truthfully do not understand what feeling of accoomplishment folks get that send their dogs to be trained.. I am sure they end up with better trained dogs, but when I get to that finish line, I feel really good.
I use my dogs for waterfowl hunting and i run hunt tests and fun/sanctioned trials and have run a couple licensed trials. the hunt tests stess me out and cost me money, but we have had just enough success (HRCH and 2 more passes for the MH on the older dog and the pup finished her JH last week) to keep me going.
I am trying to figure out how to respond to the survey..

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You mean you people actually train????????????

If'n yudda dunnit rite da furst time, wudent nede no moor tranin. :lol:

I don't train retrievers, i just play a retriever trainer on the internet (i say that as a joke, but it's dern near the truth)

Shayne - Everything/Anything i do that is dog related is because I love my dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah Gerard,

He spends 2 hrs per day at the gym! and his poor dog suffer for it!
:twisted:

Mike

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't mean to insult any of our dog trainers on this forum who happen to be female but:

When my wife and I were first dating, she was very suspisous of me when I would travel away for the weekend to run or judge a trial. Then I finally took her to one and she felt better about me being gone for a whole weekend. Now she knew that I was about the youngest one in the sport! And most of the "women" involved are old enough to be my mother.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I train and run HTs/FTs because I like being poor...

I train for hunting because a duck or goose hunt just isn't complete without a good dog.

Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
I voted gun dog/hunt test but also one of the big reasons is because I like to spend a lot of time with my dawgs and I like to spend time with other people who lke to spend a lot of time with their dawgs. :lol:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm with Doc E, dixidawg, and others --

I love my dog. I feel I owe it to her. And it makes her happy.

Yes, I also love to hunt. And I love HTs and FTs. And I love the self-satisfaction and sense of accomplishment.

But it all comes back to the number one reason -- I love my dog.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Gerard Rozas said:
Shayne,

Don't you train to meet WOMEN!!!
Gerard... please see your comments 2 posts down. Nuff said.

Having a well trained dog does help... especially a cute choco dawg.

Shayne - Goes to gym to meet women.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts