RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a launcher its between the dt super pro and the retriever-r-trainer which one is a better product im aware the dt is a little more exspensive but im not really worried about the cost i just wont the best product that performs the best and most dependable thanks

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Is this for a young dog? What are your intentions for buying one?

I have one and four dogs in training. My Retriev-R-Trainer has not seen any use for quite some time. There are more effective alternatives.

Also, I was very concerned about the "noise" factor when fired close to the dogs. (I can wear ear protection.)

"steady/honoring"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For my use I train by myself sometimes and I won't to be able to run long marks.my dogs have been intruduced to gun fire so noise shouldnt be a issue

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
You will get more “BANG” for your buck by stuffing the $$$$ your planning on spending on ether into an envelope addressed to Canada to buy the training retrievers alone DVD and learn to do stand alone marks. Your pup will get the 200+yard field marks, you will get a nice morning workout. All of us bought a retrieve-r-trainer at some point. Ever sat and watched a couple dozen junior dogs run and seen the handful that stop and put on monster hunts at the exact distance that handheld tossers toss? Not saying don’t buy one. They are a fun toy. But you wanna play or you wanna train?

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Well, I owned a retrieve-R-trainer for 8-10 years before I gave it away due to lack of use. In the end it would pop open after firing. But other than that functioned as well as could be expected. The aftermarket stock I ordered was just a simple piece of plastic pipe I could have done myself. And most of the bumpers had blown apart from dry rot combined with too hot of loads blowing out the shaft insert opening. If your going to get one do not use red or yellow loads, keep your O-rings, shaft and orifice clean and lubed and let your bumpers sun dry after water work.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well, I owned a retrieve-R-trainer for 8-10 years before I gave it away due to lack of use. In the end it would pop open after firing. But other than that functioned as well as could be expected. The aftermarket stock I ordered was just a simple piece of plastic pipe I could have done myself. And most of the bumpers had blown apart from dry rot combined with too hot of loads blowing out the shaft insert opening. If your going to get one do not use red or yellow loads, keep your O-rings, shaft and orifice clean and lubed and let your bumpers sun dry after water work.
Wouldn't you be the one to suggest keeping the orifice cleaned and your shaft lubed.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
For my use I train by myself sometimes, and I won't to be able to run long marks. My dogs have been intruduced to gun fire so noise shouldn't be an issue.
As Ken mentioned, you can run long marks training alone by teaching your dogs a few extra skills. Here's a simple marking drill run for my 13 year old Taffey (three marks, remote line, fun and good exercise). The possibilities permitted by using "training alone" techniques are only limited by a trainer's creativity.

After editing this video, I became more aware of just how much background noise there is at that location. As a humorous aside, on the second mark you can actually "hear" how big of a motor Taffey has.

"Training Alone Y-Drill" - YouTube (link)

Here's a link that includes many different "solo training" set-ups with the dogs retrieving from a remote location (plus others using wingers).

"Training Alone SetUps (link)

As for the "noise" issue of a Retriev-R-Trainer, I wasn't referring to being conditioned to gun fire. The repeated effects of nearby gun fire can eventually cause a dog to loose hearing. The launcher is LOUD.

·
Registered
266 Posts
As stated before you can do more by teaching the dogs sit and doing remote marks by yourself. Thats what I did. If you want one I would go with lucky launcher. easier on you and longer marks. But as I said. Save the money put it towards a remote launcher and do walking singles by yourself for now. Most of us do just that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts