RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Description: 60 yard shoreline blind off a point to a point, 10 to 15 yards off shore. What level of

• Master blind - advanced concept

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something in between

• All blinds are the same - just run it

• Other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Description: 60 yard shoreline blind off a point to a point, 10 to 15 yards off shore. What level of blind retrieve is this?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
subroc said:
Description: 60 yard shoreline blind off a point to a point, 10 to 15 yards off shore. What level of blind retrieve is this?
I voted for "something in between" but I think I misinterpreted your scenario.

I interpreted it as....60 yards down the shore, shoulder off a point to another point where the blind is 10 to 15 yards off of the second point

But on re-reading it, I interpret....from a point, swim down the shore, 10 to 15 yards off the shore, to a second point on the same side

Lots of difference in those two.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cat Squirrel said:
subroc said:
But on re-reading it, I interpret....from a point, swim down the shore, 10 to 15 yards off the shore, to a second point on the same side
CS

This is the correct scenario I was trying to lay out.

Joe

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
To me, a blind is a blind. How the Judges reflect their opinion of how your dog ran it is a different story.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Was this the Senior blind this weekend? Sounds kinda familiar...

Under the circumstances, I think the judges did OK. They had very limited water for the test, which is why Senior started with water first. They had to hightail it out of there so Master could move in for their land/water second series.

Given the constraints of a necessarily wide-open double and NO blind up the middle for Senior, they really had no place else to put the blind, unless they were going to walk every handler upstream and get a fresh spot OR combine the land and water blinds as a separate series. Either one of these would have eaten up time (and the Master takes precedence as far as water, grounds, help, etc.)

I only saw a few dogs run, but from what I saw, more dogs had a problem with either wanting to channel past the point, or sucking back to the left-hand mark they had just picked up. To give them credit, the judges did place decoys along the shoreline. This created "equal" suction for the dogs. Dogs that tended to pull toward the dekes did OK. Too many handlers allowed their dogs to swim WAY out to sea before starting to handle, which allowed the dogs to get thinking about that mark. Handlers who kept their dogs tight did OK.

Just my observations. I apologize if this is not what you were talking about.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lisa

That is what I was talking about. While I didn't hear any bitchin', there was discussion among the handlers about the difficulty of the blind and how it "stacked up" in the grand scheme of things. My opinion is it was a solid senior level blind and while challenging, was no more than that.

Joe

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes, I agree that the blind had a tad more meat in it than the general run of Senior blinds have, at least around here. Then again, it looked like the judges did their best to align the stars and planets in the dogs' favor. No long angle entry, kept the gallery down and under control while handlers lined their dogs, placed those dekes so there was a "tunnel" of suction on both sides.

Nice little test.

Lisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts