RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What?s your favorite Retriever/dog show?

• Billy and Buck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ducks Unlimited

• SRS

• Other - Any others that may be better than the retriever stuff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TV shows are just that TV. Many seem to watch a couple of them. There are a few hunting/retrieving/waterdog shows including Waterdog, Billy and Buck, Ducks Unlimited, SRS, etc..

What?s your favorite Retriever/dog show?

If you like another dog show different than the retriever shows what is it?

Joe Miano

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I voted DU, but I got to tell you it was tough!

Waterdog has gotten a hundred percent better than it was last year. Great show! And this Holiday Special was downright the best episode I have ever seen. Better than any episode of DU.

Tough choice.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Best show on Tv

:D Waterdog is the BEST one on there. Justin Tackett and Yeller make a good team. :twisted: Billy & Buck is TERRIBLE. He can't shoot and she is not as well trained as some of my year old pups. Adventure Bound Outdoors on OLN has a dog training session on their show that features Chris Akin working the pup belonging to the host. Nice Work and Nice pup.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I voted other.
IMHO the best dog show on TV is when they have the movie "Best in Show". :lol: That is relaxing entertainment. I find myself being to critical of the dog work and some of comments on the other shows listed to enjoy myself.

Tim

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
A Dog's Life is not bad either. I like Waterdog, but it should be called Waterdawg! I have a hard time watching Goofy and Buck. DU is ok, but has that corporate feel.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree with the results. Waterdog is a very good show that provides some good training idea's and techniques for us green horns. I really started paying more attention to the show when I read (on this forum) that Justin and Yella are the "real deal" and have some field trial win's.

I also agree on B&B. When I watched the show where Billy told Buck to sit five times on three retrieves and then praised her I was no longer interested in the show.

My 2 1/2 year old BLF that I have been training since August might eat the bird, have no clue what a grouse is or how to find one, but she don't move when I say stay, she don't break and when the ssss in sit comes out of my mouth, she done sat.

There should be a show called "Upland Dog" or Grouse Dog".

Jeff

"Play for blood? That's just-my-game"!!!

Doc Holliday. Tombstone

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Re: Best show on Tv

Sundown49 said:
:D Waterdog is the BEST one on there. Justin Tackett and Yeller make a good team. :twisted: Billy & Buck is TERRIBLE. He can't shoot and she is not as well trained as some of my year old pups. Adventure Bound Outdoors on OLN has a dog training session on their show that features Chris Akin working the pup belonging to the host. Nice Work and Nice pup.
Actually Buck is very well trained, has I believe an AKC MH title and competed in some FT's. Problem is she does not belong to Billy, and even if she did he wouldn't know how to driver her. She's a much different dog with someone else driving....you can put me in an Indy car, but that doesn't mean I can get out of turn 1....:)

/Paul

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Billy & Buck

:( gun_dog2002, Buck may be all that a MH and all but it comes across that she isn't when it takes 5 "sit" commands and she blows them off. Billy should get him a gun bigger than a 28 guage and go practice and her owner should come on show and handle Buck. JMHO. My dogs will handle for anyone and when anyone gives a SIT their butts hit the ground........
another suggestion is to have a few months of intensive training of Billy to make a fine retriever LOOK LIKE ONE.....

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Re: Billy & Buck

Sundown49 said:
:( gun_dog2002, Buck may be all that a MH and all but it comes across that she isn't when it takes 5 "sit" commands and she blows them off. Billy should get him a gun bigger than a 28 guage and go practice and her owner should come on show and handle Buck. JMHO. My dogs will handle for anyone and when anyone gives a SIT their butts hit the ground........
another suggestion is to have a few months of intensive training of Billy to make a fine retriever LOOK LIKE ONE.....
No argument here. The shows producer felt they wanted to appeal to the average hunter, apparently they believe the average hunter has dogs that work like this. They also didn't think guys would watch the show if the dog was female, so they called the dog Buck. Shows what they know...

/Paul

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You guys are lucky to have all those choices...the closest we come to a retriever show is American Bird Hunter.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think it is interesting that Billy and Buck get all of the negative comments on this board and others.
It is a FACT that he is the worst caller, handler, shooter, hunter etc. that was ever put on God's green earth but he is on TV duck hunting the world and the rest of us are???????
I bet he has some interesting pictures of some TV producer or director to get that gig.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
rebelsdad said:
It is a FACT that he is the worst caller, handler, shooter, hunter etc. that was ever put on God's green earth but he is on TV duck hunting the world and the rest of us are??????? I bet he has some interesting pictures of some TV producer or director to get that gig.
Actually, Billy Gianqunito has been a regular waterfowl hunter local to the California Central and San Joaquin valleys for a couple decades. It is his colorful character that got him well-known to everyone on the marshes. And true to colorful characters, everyone has strong feelings about him -- they either love him or hate him. But it was this colorful character and reputation that got him his gig.

He has never claimed to be a great caller, shooter, or dog trainer. Although those who regularly hunt with him will testify to his being more than just competent at shooting (he is co-host of the clay-target shooting TV show Pull) and calling.

The main thing is he LOVES to hunt waterfowl. And if offered the gig, would anyone of us turn it down, even if it meant putting our skills up for public criticism?

KJB said:
The episode where he and his guide were proudly skybusting geese pretty much did it for me.
I agree with you. That episode was detestable. They appeared hard-up to get something for the camera, so took shots I would never take. But in their defense, the camera can be misleading as to distance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts