RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 6 month YLM (Tank). He's had 3 weeks of formal training which included, intro to gunfire, birds, and quartering. E-collar is ordered but not recieved yet.

Obedience has been very little so far. I was told to stay away from obedience for a little while. I just introduced him to water and basic retrieves through decoys. He picks it up fast.

Right now he is literally blasting off to retrieve and bring back anything thrown. He has an outstanding nose. I took him on a short put and take hunt after training with flagged (Chukar) in which he found 2 birds that weren't even set out. My trainer said short hunts on a check cord to keep his distance are good to get his enthusiasm up and start keeping his distance proper when I upland hunt. I had no expectations and my trainer said all that is good.

Having said all of that. Tank will primarily be a duck dog but will definately do upland from time to time. My question is should I start formal obedience if not when should I start?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Absolutely start right now. Do you plan to force fetch?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Should have been started 3 months ago. Now you already know he can hunt work OB for the next month or so with just a few retrieves a week.
Never heard of a trainer that blows off OB for getting the pup to hunt. You're lucky he didn't follow that chukar to the next county without OB instilled in him.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Must have been askin' a poodle trainer for advice before signing up here... ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We obviously know where my dog is at....I'm not sure why in forums people are so matter of fact or think we know it all. beyond that it's on to obedience.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
We obviously know where my dog is at....I'm not sure why in forums people are so matter of fact or think we know it all. beyond that it's on to obedience.
Nothing about you, you just did what you were told. 99% of trainers start OB training before the pup has a mind of his own.
Make sure sit and here are rock solid before you move on in your training.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You did nothing wrong, you can always reel a dog back in , but if you hammer them with OB pre 6 months you can shut them down and they might not have the guts they might have had.
THat being said , you have intro'd upland, you have intro'd marking, his teeth are in (right?) time to get started on formal OB....go for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His teeth are most definately in and he is definately a wild man with literally no end to his hyperness. But, I took him on his first heel/sit walk today after asking whether to start and he did very good for a start. I only attempted for approx. 5 min. in the front lawn but he started to realize what I wanted. Two reps a day should help get him going the right direction.

One last question for now. and please no flaming. I have two grown dogs that are not hunting dogs nor will ever be. Tank has been kennel trained for when I am gone but when me and my wife are home he is out socializing and playing with the other boys and such. I know this probably won't help the training process but I need to know what kind of problems to look for.

Lastly my wife loves to throw him random retrieves with toys and bones. He loves it and will do it all day long but I need to know whether to stop that. She gets mad when I tell her to not do it so I need real advice.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Trust me it's way past time!!!!!!!
Dave Hare

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sorry I was funnin' ya a bit. Usually you will get better focus and excitment if you do your training with them right out of the crate. If they've played for 2 hours prior then they've had thier fun in an uncontrolled manner. It makes you the dull no fun guy when its time to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts