RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one pup available out of my recent litter and my wife's aunt and uncle have expressed an interest in the pup. I know the dog would be well taken care of and might even see a hunt test or two, but how do you handle the financial aspect?
Free? Full price? Reduced Price? Keep registration?

Have any of you gone through this before, and if so how do you handle it?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't do business with family - it'll come back and bite ya in the fanny...when little fuzzball has a medical problem ( we didn't know that him jumping off the back porch 20 times a day when he was 12 weeks old coujd hurt him...) they're gonna look for you to pony up the $$. Jsut about anything that can go wrong, will, and you'll be none the happier when it does...

just my $.02...

good luck

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have given a pup to a good friend, but gave it with Limited Registration.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I think a lot would depend upon your finances. If you really need to sell each puppy for a determined price than explain this to your aunt & uncle. I think it's a huge plus that the pup may go on to run HTs. That would really appeal to me. I gave a pup to my brother & his family & the dog had a wonderful home for 10 years. They didn't want to breed & we all knew the pup would be spayed. I would definitely discuss with your aunt & uncle all the health clearances that need to be done if they do decide to breed & also mention that there are a LOT of good litters out there already & that the #1 reason for getting the pup shouldn't be a litter down the road.

I was happier with giving my brother a pup than selling the dog to a stranger.

M

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Dave, it's always been my experience that people place very little value on free anything. The phone company will give you a free cell phone when you sign up for service for 2 years. If it has to be replaced before the contract is up people blow a gasket when they have to pay $200-300 for a replacement for a "free" phone.

Same holds true for "free" pups when it comes to big vet bills and other ordinary expenses involved with owning a dog. Who wants to pay a $400 vet bill to take care of a "free" dog. We see it all the time here in San Antonio where people get a free dog and when anything goes wrong with it, they turn it loose on the street or take it to the pound and go out and get another free dog to replace it.

Mike also brought up another good point. If you give a dog to a relative it will always be your problem when anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Depends Combsie whether they're British, Irish or Scottish...or Senecan. If the latter, trade the pup for some beads and hunting rights to the great white deer herd.

By the way, your recent U$ purchaser hasn't shown any inclination thus far to join in the training fray. But he may come around.

MG

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The financial side is obviously tricky with family, particularly if you have a litter that involved a lot of expenses. The more important part is to make sure that your dog is the right dog for them -- are they really looking for a GMHR/MHR hunting litter dog or would they be happier with a dog that was really bred to be a pet.

My ex made what I viewed as a mistaken decision to buy a show-bred golden from her sister at full price. From my perspective we ended up with an extraordinarily expensive dog that seemed to have been oxygen deprived at birth. As a show dog it might have been great and well worth the money. As a field dog it was an advertisement for dumb blond jokes. There was an obvious mismatch and it made paying a high price feel like salt in the wound. On the plus side, it made custody easy to decide when we diivorced. 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it were me and i had no buyers and the pups were ready to go i would give it to them free.

The big question is is it the right pup for them If they will get along then let them have it

·
Registered
987 Posts
I gave a pup to my Mom and Dad out of my second litter -- Brandy was only a house pet but she had a great life -- and a great home -- I wouldn't hesitate to do this again (other than they're a little too old for a pup) -- but no problem from my standpoint -- besides at time my first FT dog Pat was nearing the end of his life; he had become my folks' dog in retirement -- their other Lab had just been put down because of old age -- and my Dad was just retired and loved to walk the dog for exercise (for both of them) -- so new pup was what he needed and I wanted him to have one of mine -- easy decision all the way around -- and no limited registration --they spayed Brandy any way

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dave Combs said:
I have one pup available out of my recent litter and my wife's aunt and uncle have expressed an interest in the pup. I know the dog would be well taken care of and might even see a hunt test or two, but how do you handle the financial aspect?
Free? Full price? Reduced Price? Keep registration?
My advice:

Full price, same conditions as any other buyer (ie. if you sell the pups on a limited registration, sell that one with a LR too).

Unless of course, they own hunting land somewhere and let you hunt on it for free! 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
selling to family

All my brothers and sisters have multiple Labs from us. FREE! I pay to show and breed. They have some great family dogs. When I have money come in via stud services/puppy sales from their "PETS" I give them a few bags of food, a pack of Heartguard, something as a financial thanks. They dont expect this but they take good care of the dogs! I will continue to supply my family ! It works for us! :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dave

There are people in my family who I could not imagine charging money for anything. They have done so much for me it would be my way to repay them. The there are other who's throats I would not P!$$ down if there guts were on fire.

When I bred to NAFC Ram, before he was 2 x NAFC. Roger Wallner the person who got me into this game was looking for a pup for his daughter. Knowing the dog would most likely be a couch spud. My price to him could be no more than what he charged me for my 1st dog.
So I caculated the expenses for the litter, divided among the # in the litter, and came up with $300.00 for a NAFC x MH puppy. I also sold one for the same price to one of my training partners.

That is just me Dave. As I say "do what your conscience dictates".

John
________
buy easy vape vaporizer

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it looks as if the problem has solved itself. As of 9:00PM last night, I now have a waiting list 2 deep, with aunt and uncle on the end of that. They said "if you have one left when it's time to go home we'd be interested", and now the pups have all been spoken for, so problem solved. Not that I didn't want them to have the pup, I just didn't want to have to deal with the sticky situation.
I talked the situation over with my wife and we agreed on selling them a dog at a reduced price. I'm taking a pup out of breeding my boy was studded out for and placing it with them. Everybody is happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts