RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10 month old black male. He comes from long lines of hunting (professional guides) and field trial dogs, and I have hunted over parents and grandparents. I trained basic obedience, and he picked it up quick. Then due to work sched. I sent him to trainer, The trainer gave up on FF after 3 weeks. Then after 4 days he called and said the dog didn't seem interested in searching for birds. Should I continue to train myself at slow pace.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Find another trainer for a second opinion... Chances are your dog is just fine more or less and just needs a different teacher.

Angie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stop wasting your $ on that trainer, and get your dog in training somewhere else(that is if you don't have the time or knowledge to do it yourself). Good Luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have him back and working with him atleast once a day, wish I could do multiple times everyday. Is once a day enough, since thats all I can manage some times?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
It can be... It's about the quality of time not quantity. Is there another pro that can give you an evaluation of your dog so you know which direction to head?

Angie

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did the trainer tell you why he/she gave up on FF. I am in almost the same boat, same age as well. Bailey's trainer gave up on FF since the method wasn't working and they didn't want to waste my $$$. I took her to another trainer that was familiar with my situation from this site and he had nothing but good things to say about the dog. As it turns out the trainer has had more dogs wash out in FF than I was aware of. Seems a case of the dog not fitting the program and not trying to find a program that fits the dog.

Questions:

Will the pup retreive at all?
Why did the trainer give up?
What method of FF did He/She use?

I am a complete novice, but since I am in the same boat I'd like to know how it goes for you. From what I have learned 3 weeks long enough for some dogs, but no for others.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You didn't say what your goals are for him? Hunting partner? Hunt tests? Field trials?
Good Lord, we try to train once a WEEK (and rarely make that....) let alone once a day!! I would think, depending on your goals, once a day ought to get you where you are heading!

I do have him back and working with him atleast once a day, wish I could do multiple times everyday. Is once a day enough, since thats all I can manage some times?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is going to be a hunting dog only; retireving and flushing. The trainer said dog didn't seem to get how to turn off the pressure, and lacked the preditor instinct. The trainer did his best, just didn't work the way I hoped

Ark, the dog will do 50+ yard marked retrieves in 2-3ft grass with dead birds

·
Registered
125 Posts
How is your dog in the water? Does he react defferently to birds than bumpers? I am more curious. Sounds like we are in very similar situations. 50 yard mark in cover seems pretty birdy... Seems like he just needs more time and maybe a different approach.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My answer to your two questions is, Yes.

I would continue to work with him, if he has shown interest in the past. There are about 100 questions that people could ask, from your goals, to what program you are using, training opportunities in your area, and on and on and on. I would get him on birds as much as possible over the next few weeks, if that is what seems to be the issue you are having now. Use pigeons and phesants if you can, and keep the excitement level as high as possible.

I was usually only able to work with Peyton 5-10 times a month when she was that age, other then stuff in the house/front yard/soccer fields every day and she has done great with upland hunting.

If you have the option of working with another traininer I would do that as well, just explain in detail what has occurred in the past and make sure to be there during a few training sesions so you can see what the trainer is seeing/referring to when you call to check in.

Good Luck,

Mark

·
Registered
511 Posts
FF is a process. Typically the dog will be better the second week than the first and so on. This is the same for any concept. After a couple weeks the trainer should know if you're wasting your money or not. I would try another trainer for sure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
He may know what he's doing. The problem is that he may only know how to get the job done using one method. You need a trainer experienced in working with young dogs that may have multiple approaches to succeeding in force fetch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
He may know what he's doing. The problem is that he may only know how to get the job done using one method. You need a trainer experienced in working with young dogs that may have multiple approaches to succeeding in force fetch.
Amen! I love the answers to post "what program are you using". My reply is mine. 20 years of messing with dogs and 30when years of being a parent. Vot to have and be willing to do what it takes

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
didnt mesh? He is suppose to be training him not dating him. Find another more experienced trainer.
Hilarious,,, How many teachers love all their students? How many teachers mesh with all their students?? Hmmmmm?? A good teacher can teach the good with the not so good.

Sounds like your trainer is lacking serious depth. But that's ok... Just like any other teacher, lawyer or doctor. Find one that can help you and comes highly referred.

Angie

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would take a step back and get him pumped about retrieving again. a session of OB as a refresher then a few very fun very exciting HUP HUPS. When he comes out of the box and is just going nuts. Revisit force fetch and you may just get a more harmonious response. I think you will both be fine. Good luck and make it fun again for pup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts