RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What would you do?

  • Wait it out until he is heeled.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let pup just be a pet and work once he is heeled.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Look for another pup in a few weeks if it does not heel.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup who is now 7 months old had bilatteral shoulder surgery almost 2 months ago and has pano as well. He has been limping pretty much since he was 4.5 months old. The vet said that he may be this way for anywhere from 1 month to 1.5 years. I can not start or do any obiedence or leash work because I can tell that not only would it be distracting but painful. I was planning on putting a MH on him and then running him in some trials.


I am starting to think that it will be a long time before I can start training my pup and I am thinking about getting another pup and keeping my current dog as a house dog until he is limp free(if that happens) for at least a month before starting to train him.

So here goes my question: what would you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
Did you notice you have look for another pup twice? There's your answer! You can always train your pup if/when he heals, but at least you'll have another totrain in the meantime!
Good luck!
M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I'm sorry about your pup's bad luck. :( I don't think I would get another pup until the current one is feeling better. A new pup would want to play with the older one (not a bad thing if it's limited) and I would not want to cause pain and discomfort to the older dog, nor have to deal with keeping them out of each other's sight 24/7.

It sounds like you are committed to giving this pup a good life, despite your disappointment. For that, I salute you. I hope this pup will have a full recovery and go on to be a worker you can be proud of. I wish you better luck with your next pup, whenever you decide to get one.
Tina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
pup

dan
i know how you feel about the pup and wanting to get
started - i think we talked about the possibalty of him not
be able to be run as a trail dog- wait a while not too long
get a pup so you can started on your quest - ill give you a call
during the week maybe we can hook up and stop by the
srrc trail next week end
oc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
dogs

Depending on how serious you are about training/trialing/hunting......
A) Call your breeder and tell them you need to find someone that wants a nice house dog and then buy another pup from someone and continue with your goals.

B) Find another pup now and continue your goals....Life is to short!!

C) The amount of money that your investing in your 7 month old you could also buy a started dog. Just an option!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Unfortunately, committed to being competitive does not always go hand in hand with being loyal of heart. It's a personal decision and a matter of one's goals.

What do YOU want to do TD, and how fast do you want to get there ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and I am having a difficult time with this decision. I am wondering if I am giving up too quickly on my pup and if I get another pup that by the time that the new pup is ready to begin formal training that my current pup will be healthy. My pup has been my shadow since he was 7 weeks old and I guess that is making it even harder.. I have taken him to work with me every day etc, and I am having a hard time with replacing him.

On the other hand, I really want to get training and working him and I am looking for a dog that I can compete with. I have not had the best of luck though as this is my second pup in one year. The first I gave back to the breeder in October, after three months, and now this problem. I have been on this quest since July of 03. SO I guess my timing is that I want to get starting on my training now.

My current pup has already become a member of our family and there is no way that I can or would want to give him away. So he is staying. I will continue to care for him and do whatever is necessary to make him healthy and painfree, no matter what that entails. That is what I know in my heart is the right thing to do for him.

I wonder though, even if he does become healthy, that the delay in starting his training and the amount of time off(he has not been doing marks or anyting since he was 4 months old), if I could ever really be competitive with him.

Secondly I really wonder if this is going to be an ongoing problem or even if he would ever be able to take the rigors of training and testing/trialing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
TD,
have to agree with Miriam here...you have getting another pup as 2 of your choices so that's what your heart is telling you to do. It also sounds like rehoming the pup isn't an option for you either (I know I'd be the same way) and you can't know at this point anyway if the pup will become sound enough for training, but if he does, you'll just have twice the fun.

Why not consider a started dog? This might be easier on your pup's rehab too; avoiding some of the inevitable rough play that puppies delight in. It sounds like another pup is what you really want, so I'd go with your gut feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
thunderdan-
When I said get another pup it wasn't from the standpoint of finding another home for your current pup. I'm one of those 'til death do us part folks. I just think it would be nice for you to get a pup you could plan on competing with. If your pup gets to the point where you're able to train & run trials/tests that's a bonus. If not maybe a hunt now & then would be enough for him.
I do think your first obligation is to your pup, but if your finances & time allow for a second pup-go for it.
M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Miriam,

I know that you did not mean to replace my pup, but I thought I would mention my feelings toward him anyway. I am with you on the death do us part.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top