RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just busted Briar for a known violation-- front legs up on the counter stealing my prep veggies for dinner. Caught him almost in the act--about 20 seconds later. "They" say you have about a three second correction window. I was not happy-- Julianne Asparagus half gone. A stern NO, and a very disappointed "look" put him in a submissive position--as it should. But, to my surprise, it had carry over.

What was interesting was the eye contact. He appeared to have understood the violation and tried to avoid the eye contact--as if he was ashamed. This went on for a few hours. Dirty look, dawg looked away.

No verbal corrections, just an evil look. Interesting communication, always learning.

What is your (window) time frame for a correction? Obviously , the quicker the better, but Is it possible the time can be lengthened, and have you tried a shameful dirty look?

·
Registered
12,695 Posts
You So need a Chesapeake, "The Look" will work for a bit.
Example, doing lawn work for about an hour left two free roaming dogs in the kitchen. Came in and the trash can had been compromised. I said aloud, "Who did this?" One dog was sitting on the dog couch looking happy thumping its tail madly. The other was under the table looking guilty with a ring around it's nose from a discarded yogurt container. It was an easy bust. A quiet "You did this" was all I needed and that dog wouldn't look at me for a while after. It just knew it was busted, was even rubbing a front paw on the yogurt residue like thinking "I gotta get rid of this" It was very funny. All I could do to maintain and not crack up.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
No one can understand how engaging and communicative these chessies are until they own one. I came home today to a grin as big as the ocean and it just melted my heart. He then immediately proceeded to the bedroom, stole a sock and did 30 laps around the living room with it before I could catch him!

·
Registered
102 Posts
And it can start early...Koda is but 12 weeks old. Tonight, as the GF and I sat on the back patio with the young 'un this evening, he decided to bark at us. One look, furrowed eyebrows, disapproving, and a soft "quiet", he bowed his head like he'd been severely scolded...and was quiet.

Which had both of us snickering, and calling him in for some love.

Dawgs. They just know.

Oh, and I'd take some of that fresh asparagus....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Example, doing lawn work for about an hour left two free roaming dogs in the kitchen. Came in and the trash can had been compromised. I said aloud, "Who did this?" One dog was sitting on the dog couch looking happy thumping its tail madly. The other was under the table looking guilty with a ring around it's nose from a discarded yogurt container. It was an easy bust. A quiet "You did this" was all I needed and that dog wouldn't look at me for a while after. It just knew it was busted, was even rubbing a front paw on the yogurt residue like thinking "I gotta get rid of this" It was very funny. All I could do to maintain and not crack up.

I have seen that "look" in Chessies. Rasputin eyes/Mike Singletary eyes. I love that. A connection, that labs may not inherently possess. There is something there--no doubt in my mind.

Possible Chessie some day--I love their intensity, stuborness, drive, intelligence, and aversion to cold temps. My Hunting partner (Chessie owner) and I hunt them side by side most weekend during the season. Nice combo.

All breeds are good at pointing fingers (paws) when the house is in shambles and yogurt containers are visible and trash cans are compromised. No eyes needed--just a forlorned look. BUSTED! wasn't me dad........ I swear it:)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you have fresh spring home grown asparagus already, in your neck of the woods John?
Do you all have fiddle head ferns?

Yes on the asparagus, If you can get it in your area, Victoria Island brand is the best there is. Good people: dawg, hunting and tennis friendly folks. Been trying to get them to covert some of them spears into swampland. No success yet. :)They grow the best that I have ever tasted.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have had to remove my sunglasses on several occasions so they can get the full effect. BTW this works on my two sons almost as good as the dogs.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Just busted Briar for a known violation-- front legs up on the counter stealing my prep veggies for dinner. Caught him almost in the act--about 20 seconds later. "They" say you have about a three second correction window. I was not happy-- Julianne Asparagus half gone. A stern NO, and a very disappointed "look" put him in a submissive position--as it should. But, to my surprise, it had carry over.

What was interesting was the eye contact. He appeared to have understood the violation and tried to avoid the eye contact--as if he was ashamed. This went on for a few hours. Dirty look, dawg looked away.

No verbal corrections, just an evil look. Interesting communication, always learning.

What is your (window) time frame for a correction? Obviously , the quicker the better, but Is it possible the time can be lengthened, and have you tried a shameful dirty look?
Do dogs get that dreaded Asparagus smell?? :p

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
LOL Mike! Every time I serve up asparagus my old man complains that our pee will stink. I tell him if you would just do it in the toilet instead of the back yard, it will not be a problem;););)

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

that is my favorite move too Ken..... I can always tell who done it. The "other" party seems to enjoy watching the guilty verdict come down...it's always met with a happy tail thump while the guilty one rolls the ears back and puts the head down in shame..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts