RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In 2010 I think the dog I saw running down in Nebraska was 9 or 10 and they did fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 7 year old that I just started doing the tests with last fall. I have hunted her for years, just never tested her. She passed 2 started tests easily last year. i could have run her in seasoned, but with her never doing a hunt test before, i wanted to ease her into it. i am hoping to get her seasoned title this year. she is a great dog, but is for sure starting to show signs of age!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I saw a 13 yr. old used as test dog for every stake at a HRC test in NV last year, as she had never run HRC and was the only dog on the site not signed up to run. She smashed every level, and did real well @ almost falling into all the traps, almost like she knew she was test dog. She's a little hard of hearing so the owner was concerned she wouldn't stop on a whistle for the blinds, which is why he retried her from AKC. However not really an issue when you line most of them. They also ran a 12 yr. old at the same test in the Finished, she passed. I'm not sure if she had a better time running or the gallery had a better time cheering her on. Sure she was slow and a little wobbly, might've had a senior moment or two on the way out to a mark, but she was absolutely thrilled to do the job. It was great to see the positive outlook of the HRC peeps. Everyone was very appreciative that the owner continues to run her. We need to respect our older dogs, if they can still do the work and still enjoy the job, there's no reason not to run them. I hope I can still run mine @ 16+

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I dunno, but Ellis Howard's "Jimbo" was pretty old (had to have been at least 12-13) and was still passing Finished tests. My old dog completed his SH at 10 1/2 and looked good doing it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I put an MHR (NAHRA equivalent to an MH) on my first lab when he was 11.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Several years ago when we were running NAHRA, there was a guy who ran at Three Rvers in Syracuse, NY. who had a black lab who ran that was at least 13. I think the owners name was Shawn and I think he was from Spencerport, NY. The dog was a GMHR working on his 1,000 points. I am sorry I am having a "senior" moment and cannot remember their names. I almost think that our "janitor" Chris may have been there as a judge at that test.

Earlene

Sue Snow...help me out I am sure you guys remember this dog!

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Several years ago when we were running NAHRA, there was a guy who ran at Three Rvers in Syracuse, NY. who had a black lab who ran that was at least 13. I think the owners name was Shawn and I think he was from Spencerport, NY. The dog was a GMHR working on his 1,000 points. I am sorry I am having a "senior" moment and cannot remember their names. I almost think that our "janitor" Chris may have been there as a judge at that test.

Earlene

Sue Snow...help me out I am sure you guys remember this dog!
That was Shawn Matla with his black lab Molson.

They were quite a team.

Chris

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
There was a woman running a very ancient dog at the MN in CA in 2010. Yellow dog, dont know his name. Poor guy, it was hot and he had trouble with one of the long retrieves. Gave his heart out til he got to it. Bless his heart- the whole gallery applauded, I was disgusted. He should have been on a couch somewhere with the AC running , instead he was working his butt off on a hot day , for his owner's ego... I've since read that he's been retired... Thank God.
Its one thing if theyr'e spry and youthful at an older age, but this guy came in could hardly walk-it was horrible....

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I never want to judge if an older dog should or shouldn't be run based on the limited facts that I know about the dog. I have to trust the owner knows what is best for the dog.

I remember judging Jimbo and Ellis on one of his last upland test. As tough as it was on the dog's body, his heart became 5 years younger immediately. The way I look at it, is if he would have died right there on the spot, he would have died doing what he loved. That's the way I want to go. With my boots on and gun in hand.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.