RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which is it?

• Timber hunt.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A boat hunt for waterfowl.

• Laying in a field waiting on the big flocks.

• Blind hunting on the edge of the water.

• Walking and kicking up the upland birds.

• I hunt but would give it up for trials and hunt tests

• I don't hunt so trials and ht's is my answer

• Other...must explain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your absolute favorite way to hunt with your retriever? If you had to choose only one, which would it be? Training time not included.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I voted for Timber hunt but I've also had lots of fun in a blind on the edge of the water.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jerry said:
I voted for Timber hunt but I've also had lots of fun in a blind on the edge of the water.
You haven't hunted with Angie have you?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'd rather run trials... but when i hunt, it's typically sitting on a bank somewhere in a comfy chair. Timber is fun, but standing sucks. Boats are a pain.

I'm a wuss hunter. When i lived in Texas, we had a lease that was 15 mins from downtown Dallas and 2 miles off I45. I could sleep until 45 mins before shooting time, drive 20 mins to the lease, park 100 yards from the blind, sit in a comfy chair on level ground, kill a quick limit, eat breakfast at the greasy spoon on the way home, then take a 3 hour nap with football on TV. That's the way duck hunting should be!

Shayne

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If she promised that no ducks would be flying, I'd hunt with her dang near a day and a half!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jerry

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
Jerry said:
If she promised that no ducks would be flying, I'd hunt with her dang near a day and a half!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jerry
Yeah right. You wouldn't last 30 seconds.

Shayne
Shaynemeister, you have so much to learn it's unreal. :!: :!:

Jerry

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Couldn't choose just one if my life depended on it! That's why I travel around the country to see what new situation each area has to offer.
BAIT

·
Registered
111 Posts
My passion is field hunting giant Canada geese; this picture was taken this spring when I was starting to load my decoys back in the trailer. As you can see I had way too much help, my grandson Hunter

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Timber hunt.
A boat hunt for waterfowl.
Laying in a field waiting on the big flocks.
Blind hunting on the edge of the water.
Walking and kicking up the upland birds.

Hunted timber In arky land I would love to do that soon. Hunted in a boat this season , have not done that in a long time. Blind hunt my butt off every chance I get. Hunted upland birds for the first time this year.

I hope I win the lotto soon so I can start in Canada and finish in Mexico..
trialing on weekends and hunting the rest of the time.

Please dont make me choose !!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Underground blinds.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Walking and kicking up the upland birds....Took Tiernan out to western Oklahoma this weekend and shot a limit of quail Saturday morning. Dont let anyone tell you that hunting a flushing dog on quail cant be a blast. A buddy and me agreed that is the most fun we have had hunting in a long time.

There was six inches of snow on the ground when we started at 8:30 that morning and by 1:00PM we had our 20 birds. Not bad for golden-FT-washout.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have owned a duck club in the Big Creek Bottoms of central Missouri, for 17 yrs. We have a large duck lake carved out of the timber, we have blinds on the lakes, and it has not been unusal for flights of 100+ birds to come into the dekes. This past yr. we put a small pond in the timber, with standing timber thru-out the pond. I was amazed at the thrill of having 1-10 ducks drop into this hole. It is such a different type of hunt. I know now why the folks get hooked on this type of duck hunting.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I could hunt upland every day of the week. Ended the season yesterday SW of Dodge City Hunting phesant and quail in the snow. The birds were holding so tight my dog caught a hen and brought it back to me. I tossed it up in the air and it took off like a bat out of hell. Had another take off so close to me its wings hit my leg as it got up. Fun hunt to end the season with.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
They all BEAT a regular 9-5!!! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I voted for hunting the honkers in the field...because nothing my dog can do in any duckblind is as neat as watching him plow through a standing goose.

To quote a fellow hunter "That ain't a dog, that's a Linebacker!"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts