RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Icmay be in big trouble here. It is after 11 pm, I am in a very rural community with only 1 vet, who is long past the age of retirement. (He is 87).
Anyway, I have raised several different breeds of dogs over the last 30 years and have been fortunate enough to only ever need 2 c-sections during whelping.
Currently I have a bitch in whelp. She went into labor almost 4 hours ago but is still not pushing. I tried to palpate and cannot get enough access to feel anything or there is no puppy in the birth canal yet.
I am fairly confident the vet won't return phone calls til morning. I don't think I should wait 8 hours until they open to do something.
Normally I just let things progress naturally with this bitch. She has had 4 previous litters and did great with all of ten. Last week stays showed at least 6 pups.
Can anyone give some advice on what I should do next. I keep oxytocin on hand for other farm animals by am reluctant to use it on my dogs except as a last resort.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
sorry nobody was here to help. Where are you located ? and what is the status now?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
When I had that scenario, a puppy was transverse. I hope you got a c-section and didn't try oxytocin

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
In the future, there are some good facebook repro/ neonatal groups who almost always seem to have someone "up" on puppy watch to help others out. Hope all came out fine and we get a report soon. Anne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts